Author Topic: Butter  (Read 11295 times)

Offline bluesandteals

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
Butter
« on: March 11, 2010, 01:38:29 pm »
Where's the best place/cheapest to get raw unsalted butter online?  I live in the US.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Butter
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 02:09:43 pm »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline bluesandteals

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 02:25:33 pm »
http://www.realmilk.com/where1.html
Thanks.  I don't see any specifically saying "unsalted".  Does anyone know which company carries an "unsalted" raw butter?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 03:30:35 pm by blueandteal »

Offline cliff

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 10:44:02 pm »
Thanks.  I don't see any specifically saying "unsalted".  Does anyone know which company carries an "unsalted" raw butter?  Thanks.

The places where i get raw butter don't even carry salted versions, most places will have either unsalted or  a variety of salted and unsalted in my experience

Offline bluesandteals

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 01:25:11 am »
The places where i get raw butter don't even carry salted versions, most places will have either unsalted or  a variety of salted and unsalted in my experience
And where are those places.  Or just the name/URL of one of them. Thanks. :)

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 03:18:58 am »
Just a thought. We had the same issue, so what we did was when we go out to get our raw milk from the farmer that we found at the raw milk site we order a couple of gallons of cream (raw).

Then we put a few cups (never actually measured it) in a cheap food processor we got at Walmart and turn it on for about ten minutes.
I Googled a video on making raw butter and got a few hits. One was a woman making it with a hand operated job from Lehman brothers and another video on a chef doing it with a food processor. My friend uses a blender, another person I know puts 1 pint of cream in a 1 qt jar covers it and shakes it for 10 20 minutes while watching TV.

After about 11 minutes in the food processor it suddenly magically becomes butter, so you stop the blender and after saying wow (necessary) you pour off the buttermilk into a cup (delicious and nutritious) and then you put some cold water maybe even an ice cube or two into the bowl and use a spatula to work the butter a bit. What you are doing is washing the little bubbles of buttermilk that are caught in the butter.
If you don't the butter will turn rancid more quickly. You drain off the liquid and voila butter (unsalted)

If you add salt it will last longer before spoiling and some like the taste, but salt is not a good thing for most people to eat. Then you scrape out the butter into a bottle.

Takes a wee bit of work but man is it delicious! Far better than anything you can buy by a long shot. I don't care what the advertising or website says. You can do this with any cream, even the grocery store stuff as the guy in the video says.

Some claim that the gentler way (manual) of making it results in better butter and I suspect they are correct.
Cheers
Al

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 04:34:39 am »
raw-al: when you make butter from cream as you said, about what percentage turns into butter and what percentage to buttermilk? i found a farm that sells unsalted raw butter, but also sells cream for cheaper per ounce so im trying to figure out which one is more economical. thanks

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 05:11:04 am »
That is an excellent question. I am not sure. My girlfriend and I tried to guestimate and we came up with about half buttermilk and half butter. However everyone tells me that summer cream when the cows are out in the pasture has much more and better butter with a more yellow colour. We use a fair amount of cream anyways, so we just buy a lot (2 gallons right now every two weeks.) of cream. Since raw butter is expensive and hard to find we consider it less of a PITA to just make our own.

Our homemade butter is much better tasting and lighter than anything from a dairy, probably because it is fresh.

One thing that came up is whether the butter that you buy in the grocery store has been pasteurized. Does anyone know for certain?
Cheers
Al

Offline bluesandteals

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 05:20:14 am »
Just a thought. We had the same issue, so what we did was when we go out to get our raw milk from the farmer that we found at the raw milk site we order a couple of gallons of cream (raw).

Then we put a few cups (never actually measured it) in a cheap food processor we got at Walmart and turn it on for about ten minutes.
I Googled a video on making raw butter and got a few hits. One was a woman making it with a hand operated job from Lehman brothers and another video on a chef doing it with a food processor. My friend uses a blender, another person I know puts 1 pint of cream in a 1 qt jar covers it and shakes it for 10 20 minutes while watching TV.

After about 11 minutes in the food processor it suddenly magically becomes butter, so you stop the blender and after saying wow (necessary) you pour off the buttermilk into a cup (delicious and nutritious) and then you put some cold water maybe even an ice cube or two into the bowl and use a spatula to work the butter a bit. What you are doing is washing the little bubbles of buttermilk that are caught in the butter.
If you don't the butter will turn rancid more quickly. You drain off the liquid and voila butter (unsalted)

If you add salt it will last longer before spoiling and some like the taste, but salt is not a good thing for most people to eat. Then you scrape out the butter into a bottle.

Takes a wee bit of work but man is it delicious! Far better than anything you can buy by a long shot. I don't care what the advertising or website says. You can do this with any cream, even the grocery store stuff as the guy in the video says.

Some claim that the gentler way (manual) of making it results in better butter and I suspect they are correct.
Thanks.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 05:42:56 am »
My pleasure blueandteal.

Just to let anyone know we tried using an electric beater (the ones with two things that spin together) sometimes called a mixer. After an hour, at least, of standing over this container holding the mixer with no butter we gave it up and got the 29 dollar food processor.

The Lehman hand job is around 100 dollars. I was going to get a regular hand powered egg beater and use one of the beaters and cut off the other beater half way down the barrel. Then I was going to put a paddle on similar to the Lehman one and try that...... However I am a product of our consumer society and am perpetually looking for the easy way out.

Some clever person will figure out a better butter trap.... and I hope they post it because that cheap food processor is so flippin loud I have to wear over the head hearing protectors.
Cheers
Al

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 08:09:53 am »
Anyone have experience with metallic tasting butter?

I thought it was some kind of detox taste I was having - which I have experienced before -  but it looks as if it is in fact the butter

I can't find much info but from brief reading its an indicator of oxidation

the butter I've been eating was also summer butter (previously frozen) which has been an additional nuisance, and maybe a cause of why it has oxidized after only three weeks or so. the other from the same batch was fine (albeit dehydrating -or less hydrating at least - from being frozen I think).

Offline cliff

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 10:13:30 pm »
And where are those places.  Or just the name/URL of one of them. Thanks. :)

I get it local, haven't found anywhere that sells it online personally

This site might help you, http://www.realmilk.com/where1.html

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 10:20:51 pm »
Interestingly my neighbour who hails from Tibet says that they sometimes saved butter and sometimes it was ten years old when eaten. I presume it was Yak butter and I have no idea if this was part of the reason for it's longevity.
Cheers
Al

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 12:59:46 am »
Well, like many primal/paleo foods, its quite possible that it is still edible in a oxidized state. For me, I find eating butter to be quite a chore to begin with and am thinking about biting the expense and just tossing this half lb or so - as my stomach is very sensitive as is the last few days - and I guess quickly eating the rest I have, which most likely will have the same issue soon enough. In my limited knowledge, I suspect the freezing to be a huge culprit. I suspect it has little to do with the animal, but maybe I should tell the farm about the Tibetans :)

Offline reyyzl

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Chicken Schwarma
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 10:06:35 am »
Interestingly my neighbour who hails from Tibet says that they sometimes saved butter and sometimes it was ten years old when eaten. I presume it was Yak butter and I have no idea if this was part of the reason for it's longevity.

Did your neighbor use refrigeration there?  Did he use heating?
"A genuine RPDer should always live by the coast." -TylerDurden Global Moderator Mammoth Hunter

Too often we get caught up trying to get to the end. What is most important however is to discover the beginning. We don’t solve problems or start to heal unless we can be willing, be kind, laugh a little and commit to seeking until we find. If we can, we’ll get started. I’ll meet you at the beginning!
“Reflections on My Travels…India” by Michael J Tamura ~ pg. 57

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 06:35:33 pm »
Not sure but I doubt it. He left about 18 to 20 years ago.
Here is a youtube of him
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNYK46DXnFM
Cheers
Al

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2010, 09:35:18 am »
here's a place, maybe you already  know it?

http://www.organicpastures.com/

i remember one day in kindergarden.. we spent the afternoon making butter, lol.. we all stood in a circle and took turns shaking a jar of cream that did eventually turn to butter that we got to taste on a cracker

Offline cliff

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 09:58:11 pm »
here's a place, maybe you already  know it?

http://www.organicpastures.com/

They got pretty good stuff but if you live by LA your better off getting butter from rawsome, better quality imo

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2010, 10:14:02 am »
The latest batch of cream gave us more like 3/4 butter, 1/4 buttermilk. The summer is arriving so the cows are getting out and the butter is improving flavour.
Cheers
Al

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk