Author Topic: Digestion.  (Read 7005 times)

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Digestion.
« on: March 13, 2010, 08:52:27 am »
Since eating raw meat/fat, I feel that I have to have have rested/recovered in order to eat in the first place, to some extent... Previously, eating cooked meat/fat, if I was worn out I could just eat any time, and my body would go in to overdrive to release that new energy and the more worn out I was the more I may want to eat. Since eating raw meat/fat, if I am un-rested, I don't seem to be capable of eating much. I find myself feeling like I do not want to eat, as if wanting to let my digestive system rest/recover or empty, yet feeling energy-depleted at the same time, I mean aching muscles etc... but wanting to just rest and not eat.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Digestion.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 08:59:02 am »
Eat your meat and fat before you go to bed. Then you will wake up with it all nice and digested and full of energy.
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline pc701

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 09:09:17 am »
I had the same thing, I was rarely hungry and therefore ate little, I realized what the problem was, it was the dry bone marrow sticking to the sides of my stomach/intestines therefore it was like it always stayed there/and as a result I felt always full and without hunger. I don't know your fat source but I'm guessing it's suet, iv read on guy desribe it as glue in mouth, maybe that's causing you not get hungry.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 10:26:31 am »
I had the same thing, I was rarely hungry and therefore ate little, I realized what the problem was, it was the dry bone marrow sticking to the sides of my stomach/intestines therefore it was like it always stayed there/and as a result I felt always full and without hunger. I don't know your fat source but I'm guessing it's suet, iv read on guy desribe it as glue in mouth, maybe that's causing you not get hungry.

Really?
What do you recommend then PC?
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline pc701

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 10:39:44 am »
Food that works, whatever that may be to you.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 01:30:59 pm »
Does anyone else experience what miles is experiencing?
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 05:22:31 pm »

If you eat the fat first, it will hit the fat receptors at the end of the stomach and you will not be able to eat much because you will not have the hunger sensation.

To prevent that, in the warrior diet, Ori recommends eating the vegetables first. This does not apply to RPD since you probably don't eat vegetables together with meat and fat, but you could try to eat the meat first.

Offline chucky

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 11:16:12 pm »
Since eating raw meat/fat, I feel that I have to have have rested/recovered in order to eat in the first place, to some extent... Previously, eating cooked meat/fat, if I was worn out I could just eat any time, and my body would go in to overdrive to release that new energy and the more worn out I was the more I may want to eat. Since eating raw meat/fat, if I am un-rested, I don't seem to be capable of eating much. I find myself feeling like I do not want to eat, as if wanting to let my digestive system rest/recover or empty, yet feeling energy-depleted at the same time, I mean aching muscles etc... but wanting to just rest and not eat.

Try onions as they contain sulfur. Sulfur is needed to form bile acids which are critical for digestion and absorption of fats and fat-soluble vitamins in the small intestine.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 12:34:39 am »
I think I know what you mean and does sound paradoxical, but I don't think its unique to raw meat eating. look at the frutiarian folks who eat and than have to take a fruit siesta.

I rarely ever have digestive problems, but sometimes I get the feeling like alot of blood is being pumped to my stomach. eating the same things cooked IME would make me more tired, but I do have suspicious that raw meat does not digest as instantaneously/easily as some claim. Especially for compromised systems. Thats why some prior therapies have their place I think.

ironically after reading this earlier, I ate my words so to speak. I've been living off fish for a few days, hoping markets will restock some GF beef, and my second day eating swordfish it tasted a little off to me (and there was even a huge hole that looked like a worm had gotten at it) and basically lost any interest in eating the rest of the day. no nausea or need to jump to the toilet, but as the day went on I basically felt like I had mild food poisoning. I did try to eat some dinner (haddock) later but I didn't get far. haddock in general makes me queasy even when I am feeling well and only got through a few bites.

on top of that I had to lift a bunch of equipment weighing hundreds of lbs for someone else immediately after eating, just a small amount of dinner after already being off from the afternoons fare - but that was still probably a bad idea.

the whole evening and trying to get to bed was awful: headachey, and lots of upper gas (belching). luckily today I'm feeling better mostly, some mild sense of a headache. but my stomach feels almost exactly the same. no queasy feeling or sense of diarrhea or anything, just like there is a heartbeat in my stomach or something, and no desire to eat.

late at night I tried mixing some charcoal with a whole egg, don't know if that did any good.

I know the Primal folks are really big now on consuming small bits of unsalted cheese before a meal to absorb toxins in the stomach, otherwise meat can possibly putrefy. I'm going to look into this myself.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 12:41:07 am by KD »

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 12:37:35 am »
Sulfur is needed to form bile acids which are critical for digestion and absorption of fats and fat-soluble vitamins in the small intestine.

If sulfur indeed helps with fat digestion, why not look at rotten eggs.  I bet Aajonus would approve it. :D

Offline chucky

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 12:58:11 am »
If sulfur indeed helps with fat digestion, why not look at rotten eggs.  I bet Aajonus would approve it. :D

That's right, rotten eggs really look like a good source of sulfur. That would discard the needs for onions indeed.

Offline chucky

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 01:13:05 am »
I did try to eat some dinner (haddock) later but I didn't get far. haddock in general makes me queasy even when I am feeling well and only got through a few bites.

The case could be the same as with mackrel - Anisakis simplex. Usually named as "Herring worm". Have read that the worm is not dangerous but can cause illness, even the cooked one causes illness in some as the body will have allergic reaction. Also, haddock seems to be one of the fishes containing this worm so it could be the case why you felt lethargic. The same happened with me when I ate mackrel and several times. Just like other have described it. "Some kind of allergic reaction to fish". But it happened only with mackrel.

I know the Primal folks are really big now on consuming small bits of unsalted cheese before a meal to absorb toxins in the stomach, otherwise meat can possibly putrefy. I'm going to look into this myself.

That's interesting as Bear always ate cheese with meals. As Aajonous, who don't have scientific evidence for this, the Bear might know this too but as it just feels rubbish to a lot of people, he won't mention it. Otherwise he just likes cheese a lot ! :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk