Author Topic: 2 days in questions  (Read 9453 times)

Offline Bairdo25

• Forager
    • View Profile
2 days in questions
« on: March 28, 2010, 05:41:55 am »
Hey guys just started the paleo diet yesterday went straight cold turkey actually dont mind the taste when I woke up I had a steak and it tasted delicious. my diet both days has been steak and scallops so far. yesterday steak around lunch time and some scallops for dinner today I had  steak for breakfast and am eating scallops at the moment. A couple things Ive noticed

1. The only side effects Ive noticed is being a little headachey and my body feels different its hard to explain kinda like tired at times but energized at others..
2. I have a strong craving for other foods but am not hungry for the raw food is this normal and will it subside?
3. Im a little thirsty not enough fat in my diet? Ive read on here that you dont drink as much water of rpd should I drink things other than water?
4. when I sleep it is very satisfying,with lucid dreams

Thank You B.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Re: 2 days in questions
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 10:02:22 am »
1. The only side effects Ive noticed is being a little headachey and my body feels different its hard to explain kinda like tired at times but energized at others..

If you've dramatically cut back on carbs, that can lead to symptoms like fatigue and headaches until the body adapts more efficiently to making fuel from fat.

2. I have a strong craving for other foods but am not hungry for the raw food is this normal and will it subside?

I don't get strong cravings, but that may be because I've was eating Paleo and then VLC Paleo for around 5 years before doing RPD.

3. Im a little thirsty not enough fat in my diet? Ive read on here that you dont drink as much water of rpd should I drink things other than water?

I drink lots of mineral water because I eat a raw facultative carnivore diet that's very heavy in animal meats/fats and low in watery, alkaline plant foods.

I sleep much better too. My nightly nightmares are gone.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 10:35:19 am »
Hey guys just started the paleo diet yesterday went straight cold turkey actually dont mind the taste when I woke up I had a steak and it tasted delicious. my diet both days has been steak and scallops so far. yesterday steak around lunch time and some scallops for dinner today I had  steak for breakfast and am eating scallops at the moment. A couple things Ive noticed

Thank You B.

Are you sure want to go cold turkey and do raw carnivore diet?  No fruits, no vegetables?  I mean, this is your first time to try raw paleo diet.  Maybe you have young coconuts in your country?  How about ice cold coconut juice and some young coconut meat?  Quenches your thirst.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 06:50:40 pm »
PP is dead right re water-issues. Animals in the wild routinely drink water, even the carnivores. RZCers particularly need to drink lots of mineral-water  as they don't eat raw fruits or raw veg.

Like GS said, it's wiser to get used to raw omnivorous diets well before trying a raw zero carb diet as the latter diet often involves awkward complications and some simply can't handle it in the long-term, healthwise.. The only exception to this is if you have some inability to handle raw carbs which is a good indication that RZC will work fine for you.

re cravings:- Cravings are easily obtained as regards cooked foods because they have addictive opioids in them which affect the brain and stimulate hormones etc. in a manner similiar to drugs. Raw foods(except for raw dairy which is rich in opioids) don't generally engender such unnatural cravings - and  unlike with most cooked/processed foods, you will feel the "stop" sign re end of hunger, much  faster on a raw diet.

Not sure re the dreams issue:- for example, in my own case, I had very vivid dreams for years before going rawpalaeo - but since going rawpalaeo I've ceased to dream in such a way. I did read once about a study which claimed there was a link between high level of depression and increased dreaming. Not suggesting that this applies to you, of course, as your situation is no doubt quite different. but it did seem to explain my own experiences re dreaming.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 08:42:52 pm »
Yeah, I don't wake up with dreaming or recall dreams anymore since going RPD, but dreaming (REM sleep) is supposedly a necessity, so we may be dreaming in between deeper stages of sleep that we are unaware of. It would be interesting for sleep studies to be done on RPDers, as I suspect we do less REM sleeping than SADers.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 08:52:57 pm »
Yeah, I don't wake up with dreaming or recall dreams anymore since going RPD, but dreaming (REM sleep) is supposedly a necessity, so we may be dreaming in between deeper stages of sleep that we are unaware of. It would be interesting for sleep studies to be done on RPDers, as I suspect we do less REM sleeping than SADers.
Yes, I agree re Rem phase likely being shorter.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 09:13:05 pm »
Well, I thought you only remember your dream if it's unresolved because you wake up in the middle of it.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline Bairdo25

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 01:29:54 am »
Thank you guys thats what I was looking for.

Where do you get your vitamin water from? I live in the country and have a well then we brita filter it not exactly what youd call vitamin water

If you can handle raw carbs is it better overall and will you get more health benefits than not having any carbs?(probably a huge debate lol)

What kinda carbs should I have, veggies, fruits, dried fruits, juices(I read aajunus recommends veggie juice) any in particular? Im from Canada so coconut is a little more expensive unless you got the oil or something like that. I absolutely love coconut though every time I travel we get locals to cut some.

B.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 02:40:34 am »
Hmm I'm drinking 'Brita' filtered tap water. I'm no expert though on what source of water is best.

I'd think it's best to have meat/fat/water as your base. That is solid. Your base should not include carbs. You don't need to eat fruit/veg/carbs. But if you don't notice any problem with raw carbs/fruit/veg(excluding legumes, grains, anything else like that), and you feel you want it, not because you think you need it, then you should just eat it. As long as meat/fat/water is your base, if you ever do notice correlation between when you consume fruit carbs(because you want to) and any negative effects, then you can act on that. However, you do not need to consume them. There's nothing you need in raw carb sources(i.e. fruit), it should not make any improvement to your health, but it is a source of energy.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 02:52:43 am »
*Correction*:- For many people, such as myself, there are clearly some nutrients available within raw plant food that are  absolutely necessary for me and others to retain health. I and many others do very badly on raw zero-carb, health-wise.The only caveat I have is that you avoid all dried fruits(they contain sulphites and other nasty preservatives), veggie-juice(juicing vastly  increases amounts of nutrients consumed, but also vastly increases the amounts of antinutrients consumed as well so is bad for you); and many people(RVAFers) have food-intolerances towards raw coconut-oil.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Bairdo25

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 03:02:24 am »
I know its possible to get fatty meat but are there any sources outside of just meat where you could get fat? 

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 11:53:15 am »
Thank you guys thats what I was looking for.
You could get your water tested to see if it is mineral rich. If it has significant trace magnesium then you could be all set.

I know its possible to get fatty meat but are there any sources outside of just meat where you could get fat? 
Fatty wild fish and free-range, local, fertilized eggs. I only suggest plant fats to people who absolutely refuse to eat sufficient animal or fish fats.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 05:01:06 pm »
*Correction*:- For many people, such as myself, there are clearly some nutrients available within raw plant food that are  absolutely necessary for me and others to retain health. I and many others do very badly on raw zero-carb, health-wise.The only caveat I have is that you avoid all dried fruits(they contain sulphites and other nasty preservatives), veggie-juice(juicing vastly  increases amounts of nutrients consumed, but also vastly increases the amounts of antinutrients consumed as well so is bad for you); and many people(RVAFers) have food-intolerances towards raw coconut-oil.

It would be interesting to know what these nutrients are. I can understand carbs and maybe vitamin 'C' but other than that?
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 05:24:23 pm »
It would be interesting to know what these nutrients are. I can understand carbs and maybe vitamin 'C' but other than that?
  Who knows? it might even be simply that some people thrive better if they include at least some foods higher in water-content(ie raw plant foods).
" Ron Paul.

William

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 03:55:52 am »

I get beef fat from an abattoir/butcher, other than that there is butter if you can tolerate dairy. I can't so I make butter into ghee - with enough care, it 's no problem.

No other sources of animal fat in my area, except killing a bear in fall.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
sleep it is very satisfying,with lucid,,,nightly nightmares are gone
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 07:31:57 pm »
... just started the paleo diet yesterday went straight cold turkey actually dont mind the taste when I woke up I had a steak and it tasted delicious. .... A couple things Ive noticed

1. ...

Thank You B.

...I sleep much better too. My nightly nightmares are gone. ...

How is your sleep now?  What helps your dream-state to e most at peace that you might associate with diet?  I have a friend with such bad nightmares who will eat raw meat and organics if it might help. 
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2011, 08:29:06 pm »
My sleep is good. Animal fat seems to help the most.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk