Author Topic: Bone Stock  (Read 17033 times)

Satya

Bone Stock
« on: March 09, 2009, 11:18:46 pm »
Bone stocks are super easy to make, and I feel they are the one good cooked food for nutrition.  The only things you need are a stock pot, bones, water and an acid.  Amounts can be winged - just add enough water to cover the bones.  For beef stock, you want to just barely cover the bones, as they are thicker and take longer to cook (36 hours is good).  Eat the marrow raw before using those bones.  This recipe looks pretty standard, you can add veggies and herbs or not, your choice.  Ignore her other blabbage, just follow the basic stock recipe.  You do not have to roast the bones first, but doing so will give a darker stock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foCJHSwkMhg

Just be sure to eat most of your foods raw and wriggling!

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Bone Stock
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 11:38:27 pm »
What do you think about the scimming off of "impurities?" I'm probably going to skip that.

Satya

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 11:50:14 pm »
Yeah, I never find impurities to skim.  Skip that, no problemo.

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 06:40:44 am »
I've taken to making bone stock myself recently as I've been making it for my girlfriend who is now 7 months pregnant (and is NOT on Primal, RAF, Paleo or any other type of diet).  I recall having to skim the scum from bone stock back in my Weston Price days but, interestingly, I too had no scum from my now grass-fed beef bones.

Following my horrendous parasite problems from raw oysters a couple of weeks ago (only now recovered following large doses of parasite tinctures) and previous problems with raw salmon, I have also used the beef bone stock to make a fish broth!!  Last week I cooked myself my first meal in 8 years!! (Simmered beef stock with chopped wild salmon, haddock, onion, leek, garlic, celtic salt).  I must admit, it was a psychologically significant moment but I don't feel that it did me any harm.  It was actually delicious and I now intend to include it in my otherwise raw paleo diet once per week. 

I'm not sure if this is something I will stick with long-term (the fish broth not raw paleo!!) but it feels good at the moment in addition to ensuring that my imminent son is receiving some good nutrition.

1. When offered something that is too good to be true. It is.
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.
3. Exponential growth is mathematically unsustainable.

William

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 03:59:28 am »
I still believe that bone broth is a good idea (raw-fed cats need 10% raw bones), but it makes me sick.

Offline alpha78

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 03:28:27 am »
broths are grat :-) and also after if making pemmican

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 04:02:42 am »
Thanks for bumping this thread up alpha78.  I'd forgotten I'd written that and had enjoyed a period of bone broth back then!

Amazingly, my son is now 14 months old!  He's been solely breast fed up until we started trying to supplement the ongoing breast milk over the last month or two.  The only things we can manage to get him to eat are raw egg yolks, raw butter, raw goat yoghurt and a variety of COOKED fish and seafood in none-other than homemade bone broth!  He absolutely adores this and seems to be doing well on it so far.  Hopefully, I'll get him on the raw meats in the not-too-distant future!  :)  Despite much efforts, he's currently shown no interest in raw paleo staples.
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.

Offline PrimalLadyRosy

• Trapper
    • View Profile
    • Primal Diet Friends
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 12:13:13 am »
Congrats on him doing so well, Michael!

Did he see people eat cooked meat?  Grandparents?  It's wonderful to have family and contacts.  I am confused about how he found out food could be cooked.  Was he showing signs of deficiency?

I am curious.  What is raw Weston Price?  Does that mean more raw than most Weston Price diets, yet any amount between that and 100%?  I would like to know, so I know what topics I can bring up.  Thank you everyone!
I am the creator of the primal diet friends social networking site, thanks to Jim and Barbara Ellingson's suggestion.

Offline shannon

• Egg Thief
  • hey, that's me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 05:36:00 pm »
i absolutely love bone broth and make it @ least twice a week.  i will NEVER give it up, the benefits are too obvious for me ;)
the smell that it leaves in the house...rumble noise in tummy, gotta go lol! ;)
Vegetables are interesting but lack a sense of purpose when unaccompanied by a good cut of meat.  ~Fran Lebowitz

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 07:18:28 pm »
I am curious.  What is raw Weston Price?  Does that mean more raw than most Weston Price diets, yet any amount between that and 100%?  I would like to know, so I know what topics I can bring up.  Thank you everyone!
The Raw Weston-Price forum was meant for those who more or less follow Weston-Price's diet but who are primarily focused on raw foods  instead of cooked foods.

It would be more acceptable to bring up WP-derived cooked foods such as bone-broths in this forum, while things like Big Macs and other highly processed foods should be discussed in the hot topics forum.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 03:06:36 am »
Congrats on him doing so well, Michael!

Thanks PrimalLadyRosy.

Did he see people eat cooked meat?  Grandparents?  It's wonderful to have family and contacts.  I am confused about how he found out food could be cooked.  Was he showing signs of deficiency?

Unfortunately, my partner is NOT following a raw paleo diet of any kind.  Her diet has improved immensely since we first met (at which point she epitomised SAD!) and she now follows a largely cooked WAP diet with some RAF elements including raw dairy, occasional raw liver drinks, homemade beef jerky etc.  So, my son was exposed to this during the pre-natal period as well as any effects it may have on breast milk.  Of course, he also sees her and other family preparing and eating cooked food.  As much as I'd love him to eat RPD, it's more important to me that he avoids grains, sugar, processed junk food etc.  Despite the cooked element of his diet he's progressing very well physically and mentally and shows no obvious signs of deficiency.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 03:04:39 am »
Sorry for the question but what is a sad diet?
Scrumptious Anaconda droppings?
Cheers
Al

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 03:05:22 am »
Sorry for the question but what is a sad diet?
Scrumptious Anaconda droppings?
SAD= Standard American Diet.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 07:53:05 am »
I make bone stock for my wife so she can consume rawish bone marrow.
She dips raw bone marrow in her soup bowl.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 11:31:46 am »
Amazingly, my son is now 14 months old!  He's been solely breast fed up until we started trying to supplement the ongoing breast milk over the last month or two.  The only things we can manage to get him to eat are raw egg yolks, raw butter, raw goat yoghurt and a variety of COOKED fish and seafood in none-other than homemade bone broth!  He absolutely adores this and seems to be doing well on it so far.  Hopefully, I'll get him on the raw meats in the not-too-distant future!  :)  Despite much efforts, he's currently shown no interest in raw paleo staples.
Sounds like you, your wife an son are doing great Michael. Ayurveda says that the brain is surrounded by and made of fats, so the more the merrier for the young man. He's fortunate to have chosen such excellent parents.

Funny your wife hasn't seen the joy of not cooking. My GF absolutely loves it. An extra large portion of the day is suddenly available not to mention the pleasure of not standing over a hot stove on a hot day.
Cheers
Al

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2010, 03:19:58 am »
Thanks raw-al.  That's very kind of you to say and much appreciated.

My son's eating is getting better all the time.  I made him some raw, home dehydrated/ground wild alaskan salmon tonight mixed up with my butter sauce (3 raw egg yolks beaten into softened raw pastured jersey butter).  He was almost attacking me to get to it!!  :)  He's had this with cooled bone broth recently too.  For lunch, he had some mashed tuna steak with butter and egg yolks.  He's still receiving a plentiful supply of breast milk too.

That's great that your GF has embraced the joy of not cooking!  My partner probably sees the amount of time and effort it takes me to prepare my raw foods and sees little benefit in regards to time taken, washing up etc!  I do have a tendency to elaborate.  However, I am keeping it far simpler now so perhaps this will eventually happen.  She does actually enjoy many of the raw meat meals I prepare so it's probably largely a case of ingrained habitual patterns for her.

gs, great to hear that your wife enjoys the bone stock/marrow.  If I could find a reliable source of marrow I'd try a similar thing myself.  Keep up the great work!

Offline CHK91

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2010, 01:15:09 am »
Has anyone had problems from the free glutamates in bone broth? I learned about the benefits it had and made some recently. After having some I had this headachey, spacey feeling for about a day and a half. :(

Shame. It would really help my digestive system.
All I want is the truth... Just gimme some truth.
"I wanna be the minority."

Offline donrad

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Omnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2010, 11:44:06 pm »
Perpetual Beautiful Broth: Purchase a 15 Qt. ROASTER OVEN on sale during the holiday season. Set the oven so that a water bath maintains 160 degrees. Add a whole turkey on sale during Thanksgiving. Throw in some diced onions, carrots, celery, garlic, plenty of salt, herbs, and spices. Let it slow cook for a couple of days then enjoy the delicous broth and great health. Add any vegetable scraps and bones as they become available. An acidic liquid leaches minerals from the bones and helps free other nutrients, so add tomato juice, wine, vinegar, or whey when you can. Whenever you get too many solids scoop them out and bury in the garden. Around Christmas/New Years put in a whole bone-in ham on sale. Wonderful. Check your grocer in the ethnic section for chicken paws, pig or beef feet, neck bones, tails, etc. as they are usually low cost and have lots of gelatin. Skim the fat unless you are using all grass fed meat products in which case use it in cooking. Keep giving and receiving forever.
My pot is almost a year old now and keeps getting better and better and better......
Naturally, Don

Offline donrad

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Omnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2010, 11:46:01 pm »
Naturally, Don

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk