Author Topic: Does anyone here do self massage? If so why, and whats your experinces.  (Read 5509 times)

Offline intouchwithinstinct

• Trapper
    • View Profile
I do self massage to my groin area and my neck after working out and often before bed because I think circulation to these areas is key to testosterone and HGH production.

I want to know about anyone El's who does self massage, where do you do it?  Why do you do it, and whats been your experiences?

P.S. I put this in exercises because I think its something you do to stimulate muscle tissue in a health beneficial manner.
"One wonders if there is not something in the life-giving vitamins and minerals of the food that builds not only great physical structures within which their souls reside, but builds minds and hearts capable of a higher type of mankind in which the material values of life are made secondary to individual character."~Weston Price~

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
... groin area and my neck after working out and often before bed because I think circulation to these areas is key to testosterone and HGH production.

Is that written somewhere in scientific literature?  Or does that just work for you and something different for someone else?
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
I am somewhat overweight but I run and play tennis a lot. Sometimes my shin acts up and I take a larger foam roll and use my body weight to put pressure on my shin and roll up and down. This greatly reduces pain within a day.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline intouchwithinstinct

• Trapper
    • View Profile
I do remember reading somewhere that a testicular massage increases testosterone levels in a study.  Cant remember where though next time I see it all post it.  Other then that its just been my own experience with it.  Just seems to make sense to me that to have good circulation to and from areas that produce these hormones will help production of these hormones.  Its not quite a ultra scientific thing to me though it also just helps me relax.  Haha then again when has man not relaxed clutching his own balls.
"One wonders if there is not something in the life-giving vitamins and minerals of the food that builds not only great physical structures within which their souls reside, but builds minds and hearts capable of a higher type of mankind in which the material values of life are made secondary to individual character."~Weston Price~

Offline smithgerry

• Forager
    • View Profile
Massage helps reduce muscle tension and stiffness in numerous ways, including increasing blood flow to your muscles. I do self massage. Every morning and evening, hammer out my kinks.The research shows that massage therapy provides several important health benefits, including blood circulation and muscle relaxation.

Offline gep

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
I'm doing it every evening, usually unconsciously l) i massage my face, neck and arms. aparently my muscles need that for some reason :)

Offline Guittarman03

• Warrior
    • View Profile
foam roller or a tennis ball (on your back while lying down) are all forms of self masssage.  It's best to combine with stretching the those same muscles as soon as you've massaged them; this will promote good alignment and if you're lifting, strength gains.  Increases blood flow, removes knots, improves body alignment. 

If your interested in this sort of thing, check out "myofascial release."

But be careful, if you're trying to solve musculo-skeletal pain, this is one of a few things you need to do to resolve the root of the problem.  For example, my gf likes to use a tennis ball on her back, which solves the immediate pain, but doesn little to remedy the spinal alignment issues that are causing the pain in the first place.

When you consume an organism it loses individuality, but its biological life never ends.  Digestion is merely a transfer of its life to mine.

Offline Paleo Donk

• Chief
    • View Profile
Heres a good manual on foam rolling, which I try to do a little bit of every time I go to the gym.

http://www.robertsontrainingsystems.com/downloads/SMR-manual.pdf

and a decent vid- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF0OP8_PHmo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk