Author Topic: Chroniccaly flakey skin..:( HELP!  (Read 9700 times)

Offline intouchwithinstinct

• Trapper
    • View Profile
Chroniccaly flakey skin..:( HELP!
« on: March 31, 2010, 10:00:54 pm »
My health seems awesome on so many aspects this is one of the very few problems I have.  I don't have acne, but I get supper sensitive skin.  Its almost like I can just give it a little scratch and skin will peel off and become dry and flakey.  I realize part of it is because I have recently moved to a more humid hot climate that I'm not use to but there has to be something I can do to improve this without moving.  Where ever there's a problem there's a solution.  I shower less now(once or twice a week) and when I do shower I make it a cold shower, that's helped tons!

Just to get a idea of my routine below
8)

I eat lots of raw fat, I take fermented cod liver oil for vitamin A&D, I eat oysters about once a week for Zinc, I just started eating raw salmon this week, I eat lots of raw meats, and lots of organ meats just based on instinct what I crave.  The organ meats include, lamb and beef heart, brain, pancrease, liver, kidneys, etc.  I eat egg yolks daily.  I know its not considered paleo to eat this much egg yolk but Its improved my health tons and I go with what gives me results and what logical makes paleo sense.  (just the yolk I give the whites and yolk sack and shells to my plants out back) 

I still have not cut out dairy, I am curious if this could be whats causing the problems.  I haven't cut it out because I have been getting great results and it hasn't seemed to hurt me in any way.  I haven't seen reports on the site from anyone who gets flakey skin from dairy so I don't know.  I am welcome to cutting it if this is the root of the problem.

Really I am open to all feedback and ideas I really just want to be free from this problem. :'(  I am a naturally confident person and I only remember this is a problem when people remind me and suggest commercial moisturisers.  I don't trust these, I know about mineral oil and a few other things in them and thats enough.  I want a paleo option, a option that makes evolutionary sence.  Its also frustrating because people I live with think eating raw meat is unhealthy and have recently blamed my raw meat eating on the cause of my dry skin.. I am smarter then to believe that bullshit.  I just want help!!

Any Ideas welcome.    ;)
"One wonders if there is not something in the life-giving vitamins and minerals of the food that builds not only great physical structures within which their souls reside, but builds minds and hearts capable of a higher type of mankind in which the material values of life are made secondary to individual character."~Weston Price~

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
Re: Chroniccaly flakey skin..:( HELP!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 10:04:28 pm »
.  Its also frustrating because people I live with think eating raw meat is unhealthy and have recently blamed my raw meat eating on the cause of my dry skin.. I am smarter then to believe that bullshit.  I just want help!!

Any Ideas welcome.    ;)

Sometimes a new living situation seems to be the cure.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 09:30:52 am »
Well I cant say your problem for sure but a good natural moisturizer is by HUGO. Ive researched every ingredient and they are all natural. Best moisturizer ive ever used too.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 09:54:30 am »
I've never had skin issues, and tend to have even smoother skin on this type of diet, but I DO feel especially dry/parched when eating RAF (I'm probably eating more from dairy, getting much of my fat from butter, some from animal fats, organs and whole egg)

I do tend to drink less/little water doing the diet this way but it seems even if I was to drink more that it makes little difference.

I bring this up only to mention that by logic, or from RPD/primal claims, this makes little sense, as I consume no cooked food, which is incredibly drying, and I consume tons of fat, which is supposedly lubricating. dust and other factors seem to dry me out much more than the average person, and I imagine humidity does the same IICR when I was doing the diet at the beginning of last summer. Before doing raw again this time around, I did basically cooked paleo/primal and didn't experience the same kind of dried out feeling, which leads me to believe there is something going on internally (either positive that requires more moisture/lubrication to facilitate such as getting rid of poisons, or possibly negative:undefined, requiring more water or other lubrication, than even a normal person who drinks coffee and eats crap) that is accelerated on an all-raw diet.

Offline intouchwithinstinct

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 07:16:48 pm »
Rawzi, I completely 100% agree I have been in the process of looking for a new place all this month.  I think its amazing how unopen minded some people can be and I don't want that interfering with my physical or mental environment.

KD, Yes I find I drink less a bit more on this diet as well.  Except when I do a fast, then I tend to drink a bit more obviously.  I think I need more liquid sometimes as I notice little things like my lips start to dry(I have fairly big lips and it takes a fair bit of dehydration for them to show signs of dryness) but often if I drink to much water I end up feeling nausea and kind of regret it after.:/

I will definitely look into HUGO thank you for that jewel of info kurite!:)

"One wonders if there is not something in the life-giving vitamins and minerals of the food that builds not only great physical structures within which their souls reside, but builds minds and hearts capable of a higher type of mankind in which the material values of life are made secondary to individual character."~Weston Price~

Offline Coatue

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 02:10:46 am »
I've never had skin issues, and tend to have even smoother skin on this type of diet, but I DO feel especially dry/parched when eating RAF (I'm probably eating more from dairy, getting much of my fat from butter, some from animal fats, organs and whole egg)

I do tend to drink less/little water doing the diet this way but it seems even if I was to drink more that it makes little difference.

I bring this up only to mention that by logic, or from RPD/primal claims, this makes little sense, as I consume no cooked food, which is incredibly drying, and I consume tons of fat, which is supposedly lubricating. dust and other factors seem to dry me out much more than the average person, and I imagine humidity does the same IICR when I was doing the diet at the beginning of last summer. Before doing raw again this time around, I did basically cooked paleo/primal and didn't experience the same kind of dried out feeling, which leads me to believe there is something going on internally (either positive that requires more moisture/lubrication to facilitate such as getting rid of poisons, or possibly negative:undefined, requiring more water or other lubrication, than even a normal person who drinks coffee and eats crap) that is accelerated on an all-raw diet.

I experience this too... for some reason cooked food makes my skin less dry. What is up with that?

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 02:20:05 am »
My health seems awesome on so many aspects this is one of the very few problems I have.  I don't have acne, but I get supper sensitive skin.  Its almost like I can just give it a little scratch and skin will peel off and become dry and flakey.

I get massive skin problems if I eat dairy, raw and/or cooked. Especially raw butter makes my skin unhealthy, very dry and pasty.

Have you tried raw coconut cream? For me, it's a magic pill regarding skin...

Löwenherz

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 05:07:56 am »
Rawzi, I completely 100% agree I have been in the process of looking for a new place all this month.  I think its amazing how unopen minded some people can be and I don't want that interfering with my physical or mental environment.

I'm glad your thread got bumped up today.  I hope your living situation and skin are better now.

Are any of your meats previously frozen?
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 08:38:57 am »
Out of curiosity do you eat honey? If it is heated it will cause skin issues. Also yolks may be an issue.
Cheers
Al

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 08:42:46 am »
Out of curiosity do you eat honey? If it is heated it will cause skin issues. Also yolks may be an issue.

Hm, I always hated cooked egg yolks over egg whites, couldn't stand heated honey and had lots of skin reactions to just about everything, too many too really narrow down.  Al, do you mean raw pastured yolks?  Do you eat the whites alone?   

Offline stoneforest

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 10:28:56 pm »
someone on the forum once posted that consuming carbs can make the skin oilier. i would tend to agree with this. IMO when i eat carbs my skin is oilier. there are also many claims from people who have done juice fasts (which i am not advocating) who describe oily skin when fasting. my skin definitely felt like it was glowing, completely different, actually normal, right after a waterfast i did for 9 days. but i felt the dryness during the actual fast.

i am now VLC and did notice that when i am ZC my mouth, eyes and skin felt drier. according to chinese medicine, my tongue would be considered to red, and dry when ZC. i do not believe it has to do with consumption of water but rather a glandular issue headed by the liver.  perhaps ZC is too "dehydrating" for some.

at the moment, i believe cyclical or occasional consumption of fruits/veggies is probably of benefit to most people as paleo man resorted to eating them.

perhaps variability in diet gives us a lower margin of error since most of us do not know what our optimal diet is.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 01:08:20 am by TylerDurden »

Offline Coatue

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 04:22:36 am »
someone on the forum once posted that consuming carbs can make the skin oilier. i would tend to agree with this. IMO when i eat carbs my skin is oilier. there are also many claims from people who have done juice fasts (which i am not advocating) who describe oily skin when fasting. my skin definitely felt like it was glowing, completely different, actually normal, right after a waterfast i did for 9 days. but i felt the dryness during the actual fast.

i am now VLC and did notice that when i am ZC my mouth, eyes and skin felt drier. according to chinese medicine, my tongue would be considered to red, and dry when ZC. i do not believe it has to do with consumption of water but rather a glandular issue headed by the liver.  perhaps ZC is too "dehydrating" for some.

at the moment, i believe cyclical or occasional consumption of fruits/veggies is probably of benefit to most people as paleo man resorted to eating them.

perhaps variability in diet gives us a lower margin of error since most of us do not know what our optimal diet is.

I agree with you and that is what i just don't get. ZCers state they have lost their dandruff and dry skin only when doing ZC. Yet, my case, your case, and friend of mine's case show the opposite. My skin gets red, dry, and I develop dermatitis. It doesn't seem to improve much when drinking up to a gallon of water a day.

Offline metaketo

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2015, 06:02:47 pm »
I switched from cooked ZC to raw ZC 6 weeks ago and here too, my awesome glowing non-dry skin has become dryer and lips lost much color. Definitely overall feeling much more brittle too, kinda like pre-ZC. Not impressed so far --- but will open a new thread for this ;D

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2015, 09:11:49 pm »
What changed in your diet, besides simply not cooking? What foods did you add or subtract?

Offline thetasig

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2015, 02:49:50 am »
An interesting idea from AV for me was to also include vegetable fats like avocado. I also eat a ton of animal fats like duck breast (the skin is very fatty) and sometimes suet or the butcher fat trimmings from the local grocery (grass-fed meat only). Most of the ideas mentioned here are good ones. One thing not mentioned is Ayurveda. I am a classic Vata dosha (body type) in Winter, which means (among other things) dark, dry, and cold skin, etc. Read up on proper foods for your own body type and concentrate on those. All of the ideas AV had contributed to my finally getting rid of dry flaky skin (but it took several years). Just as an aside, I do take fish oil supplements (krill, etc.) and a friend who also started taking the oil, noticed dry skin disappearing over months.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk