Author Topic: organs  (Read 5856 times)

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
organs
« on: June 04, 2008, 07:47:33 am »
I was worried because last week I tried some liver and really didn't like it. But today I ate some and it was ok. The difference? Eating it RIGHT AWAY after buying it. This week I think it came to me fresh, and I ate some the day I got it, and it has a light taste. Last week it was frozen, I thawed it, and it sat in the fridge for a few days. It was strong (in a bad way) and almost spicy in my mouth.

If you think you don't like organs (specifically liver) try to get some and eat it asap.

Muscle takes much longer to become unappealing in the fridge, so from now on if I get liver and meat I'll eat the liver first, or any organ I can get my hands on.

Offline Justin

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
Re: organs
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 09:03:35 am »
It's weird, sometimes I prefer fresh liver and other times, I like week old or high liver. The taste can vary greatly on organ meats from the people I've bought from.
"You can train long or you can train hard, but you can't do both." -Arthur Jones.

Offline mors01

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 09:04:38 am »
I've noticed that liver becomes very acidic (much more than other organs) if it's left for a long time in the fridge.
I think that this happens because bacteria eat the glycogen (carbs) in the liver, and create acid.

xylothrill

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 02:32:53 am »
I've eaten raw liver that I'd forgotten about and left out for 24 hours. I didn't notice a difference there. Maybe it just wasn't out long enough.

It cracks me up when I see people throwing away their food because it'd been out for a whole whopping  hour.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 04:41:11 pm »
When I first started the diet, I would be forced to eat everything absolutely fresh within a day or two of buying it. After a while, I got used to and enjoyed the taste of aged raw meats.

Eating prefrozen meats is a lesser option as freezing breaks open the cell-walls of the food, thus spoiling the taste a little.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 04:23:31 am »
The other day I chucked my aged liver out of the window; it made me made to think I "had" to eat liver just because I may fall dead if I don't!

I like organs that are delicate like glands, give oxygen like heart or good fat like brains:

Brain is another source of omega-3. It has a very high omega-3/6 ratio, like 20:1 or 30:1 with ruminants or 9:1 for pork. It's also low in PUFA by calories (6.5-10%).

Every Tom, Dick and Harry eats liver...try brains!

Nicola

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 04:54:40 am »
lot harder to get brains than liver. I think a lot of slaughterhouses here aren't allowed to give the brains back to the farmer

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 09:04:03 am »
Sometimes we get lucky and find a whole skull in the meat market.
One time I did get lucky and bought the whole brain.
Very cheap, it was raining so sales were down.
My kids were having beef bone broth and I lightly steamed the brain separately.
Everyone had some beef brain that day.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 06:52:43 pm »
You have to find a butcher, who does his own slaughtering; farmers deliver animals and I ask the butcher to put some suet and organs (I say what I need) from x animal aside. It is no problem for the butcher to open a head (if he slaughters 10 goats, he has 10 heads to open; that takes a few minutes). The brain is worth eating!!!

Find a butcher or ask famers where they have their animals slaughterd and explain - you can get a long way threw talking to the right person.

Nicola

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 08:41:47 pm »
By the way, brain is so nice to look at and most of it is fat; I would not steam brain - just like marrow and suet fat (the high amount of omegas in brain is not the same as saturated fat & heat).

Nicola

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk