Author Topic: Micro-nutrients Intake/Loss  (Read 6283 times)

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Micro-nutrients Intake/Loss
« on: April 08, 2010, 03:02:40 pm »
If you eat such that you are drinking quite a lot of water and excrete it in urine for example because of a lot of protein/fat can you lose a significant quantity of micro-nutrients along with it?

Does grain-fed/finished beef have a much lower micro-nutrient level, or is lower in specific micro-nutrients?

Although I didn't say it, afaik only water-soluble micro-nutrients would be lost in the urine.

If one were 100% pastured meat, would the extra micro-nutrients make the loss OK(although I haven't established yet whether or not there is such a loss anyway)?

I've heard that dietary carbohydrates work to some extent as anti-nutrients and can drain peoples micro-nutrient levels low and this can cause inflammation. So I thought that maybe losing micro-nutrients(essential, not excess) through urine could also cause problems if the food one eats is not high enough in them, if this even does happen at all. I don't know how efficient the kidneys are at filtering only the excess.

I still have some inflammation and I wondered if it could be from too low micro-nutrients intake/content in my body so that's the reason for this thread.

I'm sure that pastured meat is better than grain-fed/finished meat, but I'd like to know if the things I've mentioned are related to that difference.

Thanks.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline chucky

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Micro-nutrients Intake/Loss
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 02:08:09 pm »
Too much water flushes out minerals like potassium and magnesium. I don't know about other minerals.

I still have some inflammation and I wondered if it could be from too low micro-nutrients intake/content in my body so that's the reason for this thread.

Your inflammation might be caused by low vitamin E. I had ingrown toenail and inflammation never got better until I wanted to try olive oil and unknowingly noticed that my inflammation was gone! Whenever I stop olive oil I notice that it wants to come back so.. hmm!

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 06:15:49 pm »
The issue re micronutrients being leached away from urine is nonexistent, there is no such phenomenon(unless you unwisely take processed supplements of extra vitamins/minerals, of course). Asv for grassfed versus grain-finished/grainfed, grassfed contains far more omega-3s, has a far better omega-3 to omega-6 ratio, and far more vitamins/minerals as well.

As for dietary carbohydrates supposedly  leading to nutrient-loss, this merely seems to be a myth as raw omnivores don't have issues with such.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline chucky

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 08:51:25 pm »
The issue re micronutrients being leached away from urine is nonexistent, there is no such phenomenon(unless you unwisely take processed supplements of extra vitamins/minerals, of course). Asv for grassfed versus grain-finished/grainfed, grassfed contains far more omega-3s, has a far better omega-3 to omega-6 ratio, and far more vitamins/minerals as well.

As for dietary carbohydrates supposedly  leading to nutrient-loss, this merely seems to be a myth as raw omnivores don't have issues with such.

It is true but high water intake leaches potassium and magnesium and dilutes keto bodies. Children on ketogenic diet for treatment are advised to consume less water because of that.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 03:10:52 am »
It is true but high water intake leaches potassium and magnesium and dilutes keto bodies. Children on ketogenic diet for treatment are advised to consume less water because of that.
  Yet various RZCers have suggested that people on zero-carb diets should actually drink a lot more water.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 05:28:01 am »
... Children on ketogenic diet for treatment are advised to consume less water because of that.

Where are they advised that?

I seem to need less water the less carbs I have, but I'm not ZC.  I was ketogenic for quite a while though.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 06:36:38 pm »
One of the annoying things that occasionally happens to me is that farmers sometimes leave their meats to spoil  by accident and then tell me that they can't fulfill my order as the offal "went bad". I've occasionally (perhaps unwisely)told them that, given my diet, I'm not too bothered if the meats they provide aren't 100% fresh, but, of course, they're scared of falling foul of regulations so don't listen.
" Ron Paul.

Offline chucky

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 09:55:54 pm »
   Where are they advised that?

I seem to need less water the less carbs I have, but I'm not ZC.  I was ketogenic for quite a while though.

Sorry for late reply. http://books.google.ee/books?id=JtCZBe-2XVIC&lpg=PA79&ots=dMPLh6GQFE&dq=ketogenic%20diet%20nicotine&hl=en&pg=PA115&output=embed

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk