Author Topic: Yuri recovery  (Read 229655 times)

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
Yuri recovery
« on: July 28, 2008, 05:04:44 pm »

Hi everyone

Primarily on Lex's advice and also by my own decision I will post here with your permission my efforts to get healthy again.

I think a lot of people on some stage of their lives go through rather harsh and rough times. I believe this is exactly where I'm at present. I'm really confused because I just cannot find out what is wrong with me.

Here is my story in a nutshell.

As little as three years ago I was in very good physical form and had what I considered an excellent health. Over the following two years a several huge stressors (unexpected and shocking death of my mother, graduation from the University, new job search etc.) pushed me initially to raw vegetarianism and further to raw veganism. Three months of the latter, when my diet was exclusively plant based and extremely high in fruit, were enough to make me dreadfully weak and exhausted. In hindsight I admit I was incredibly lucky to rather timely come across AV’s studies which literally saved me from death. That helped me tremendously. I can't begin to think what would have happened hadn't I tried the raw meats…

Over the first four months on the Primal Diet I added a massive 60 lbs of weight (from 110 to 175 lbs). And despite it was mostly fat I cared little as I was feeling so much better back then. Now I think that shortly after that I had made the second major dietary mistake of my life (the first one of course was my abstinence from animal foods), I decided to try intermittent fasting.

As much as 10 months of eating single meal daily or even every other day must have significantly damaged my already compromised body and organs. All this time I have been trying hard to find the answers why I had felt so miserably. I fiddled with the diet quite a bit during this period. I eschewed all dairy and fruits and gradually progressed to all meat (mostly organs) zero carb diet.

At present, my raw diet basically consists of fruit, honey, meat/organs and dairy (cream). On a daily basis I consume around 60g of carbs, 80g of proteins and 100-140g of fats.

I cannot ignore obvious facts as I understand that something is wrong. I don't know what I can do to fix this because I don't know the initial reason. I was thinking about parasites, lack of calcium/minerals, excess fat or organs in the diet, over-acidity, low carbohydrates intake, absence of salt, intermittent fasting, not enough calories, over-exercising, too much iron, too little sleep/rest, lower levels of the hydrochloric acid etc. Lately I began to suspect that something is amiss with my thyroid and/or adrenals. I happen to think I may be hypothyroid or have the adrenal fatigue because I have all related symptoms (the most obvious being increased recovery time. Any cuts I have take longer to heal, swelling stays around; increased effort to do every day tasks; always hungry, every hour; dark under eyes circles; thermal chameleon (hot when it's warm and cold when it's cool). Poor thermoregulation. Cold Intolerance. Cold Hands/Feet; light sensitivity; tired, sluggish, low motivation; light-headed when getting up to stand from laying or sometimes, even sitting; pain in upper back and neck; fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue…).

I think I may have exhausted my adrenals through either, several or all of the following:
1) too much stress – I may also classify as stress my past eating habits, I mean stress related to infrequent eating, social stress from eating unhuman foods, contrast showers, overtraining etc.;
2) intermittent fasting – I think adrenals are involved in the process of maintaining blood glucose at proper level which is consistently at its lowest during fasting;
3) past high fruit vegan diet – clear as a day;
4) parasitic invasion – it is commonly believed that adrenals are hugely affected by various toxins. And there are number of direct links between the parasites and adrenals;
5) current (a year and a half long) limited/inappropriate raw meat diet – mineral imbalances, too much acidity, inappropriate absorption, lack of salt etc.

As a result I feel like I have a severe case of adrenal fatigue. I also perceive I have hypoglycemia and mineral deficiencies. I came to this conclusion more than three months ago after processing hips of information online. I thought I would be able to correct this with wise nutritional approach but now I seem I was mistaken.

In order to reverse my condition I decided to take some supplements. In the first place I will aid my adrenals with Isocort (Freeze dried Adrenal Cortex). Besides, Lex generously helped me with getting quality mineral supplement, so I will also take magnesium, calcium and iodine. I will report here on my improvement or decline. In the process I may also change my diet to a certain degree, trying to stay close to the paleo principles.

With every good wish,

Yuri
It’s time to Eat Like An Animal!

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
Re: Yuri recovery
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 05:57:56 pm »
Hi Yuri,

You've had some huge stressors in your life and graduating University and finding a job/relationship and all that stuff is pretty hard!

You seem very driven as well, maybe it might be time to relax or go travelling and sit on a beach for a while (just my thoughts)

Number (4) parasitic invasion

Do you have or have you ever have had candida Yuri?

You were zero carb for a while, did you give up carbs for more than a month? was it hard for you?

is it hard for you to not eat honey/cream/sweet fruits?

Good Luck

Andrew
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 06:27:03 pm »
How to cure candida / yeast / fungi very very fast.
http://tinyurl.com/vcodetox

How to cure parasites: Use both zappers and dewormers.
http://www.curemanual.com/detox-protocols/parasite-cleanse

Have you seen a biological dentist yet?
http://www.curemanual.com/detox-protocols/dental-cleanse

Have you done the usual cleanses: colon, kidney, liver flushes?
http://www.curemanual.com/detox-protocols

Hulda Clark gives the best pollution avoidance measures:
http://www.curemanual.com/mind-cures-paradigm-shifts/book-cure-for-all-diseases
(download the free ebook)

Are all your food organic?

How much rest / sleep do you get?
What time do you sleep?

Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 09:16:04 pm »
You might consider using other glandulars such as raw thyroid
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

coconinoz

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 11:17:34 am »
how about dropping all the fruits & milk products, forgetting all about them, for a week or 2?

i'm sure you must have heard about all the negative effects both have had on so many people (myself included)

also, do you have access to coconut oil (good for thyroid, liver, etc.)?

so, if you feel like doing this experiment just for the sake of exploring something different...

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 01:12:31 pm »
Hi Yuri,
I'm glad you decided to go ahead and start a journal.  As you can see there is a good bit of interest and some of the suggestions and comments you've received so far are things I never thought of and seem well worth following up.  We can only suggest what we know about and there is such a diversity here that I expect you'll get all kinds of ideas.  I'll be following along and will throw in my 2 cents if I think of anything new.

lex

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 10:13:38 pm »
Hi Yuri,

You've had some huge stressors in your life and graduating University and finding a job/relationship and all that stuff is pretty hard!

You seem very driven as well, maybe it might be time to relax or go travelling and sit on a beach for a while (just my thoughts)

Number (4) parasitic invasion

Do you have or have you ever have had candida Yuri?

You were zero carb for a while, did you give up carbs for more than a month? was it hard for you?

is it hard for you to not eat honey/cream/sweet fruits?

Good Luck

Andrew

Hi Andrew

Well, I don't know whether I have/or had candida or not.

I went ZERO CARB on 17 Jan 2008. It was all meat 80%+ fat diet. By end of March I developed uric acid kidney stones. Early in May I added carbs back to my diet. As April started I returned to dairy (cream).
I added cream back because I thought I just overdid with some extremely high purine foods which resulted in stones being formed. Now I understand it was most likely due to zero carbing.

In truth, it wasn't difficult to go without carbs.

And now, it's not hard to eschew honey/cream/sweet fruits. But for what reason? And where would I take the necessary carbs from? I have no slightest desire to consume vegs.

In an ideal situation, I would only eat meat and fat. But as painful experience shows, I'm not ready for it yet. Or maybe this approach is not for me completely...

sincerely,

Yuri

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 10:18:57 pm »
You might consider using other glandulars such as raw thyroid

Yes, surely.

Fortunately I can get raw thyroid here. However, I have seen many warnings that adrenals must be adressed first. Besides, my thyroid testing lab results came out normal (free T4 is 17.87 with 10-25 normal range, free T3 is 12.64 with 5.4-14 normal and TTH is 1.33 when 0.25-5.2 is OK). So, I presume I don’t need any thyroid supplementation at present.

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 10:24:15 pm »
how about dropping all the fruits & milk products, forgetting all about them, for a week or 2?

i'm sure you must have heard about all the negative effects both have had on so many people (myself included)

also, do you have access to coconut oil (good for thyroid, liver, etc.)?

so, if you feel like doing this experiment just for the sake of exploring something different...

As I said before, there is nothing left I had not tried for considerably extended time periods. Eating dairy (cream) and fruits is just psychological. Mentally I can cope with meat and fat only, but my body struggles. Besides, take a note that my digestion is impaired to a larger extent which prevents me from eating certain foods.

No, coc oil isn't available.

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 10:40:21 pm »
How to cure candida / yeast / fungi very very fast.
http://tinyurl.com/vcodetox

How to cure parasites: Use both zappers and dewormers.
http://www.curemanual.com/detox-protocols/parasite-cleanse

Have you seen a biological dentist yet?
http://www.curemanual.com/detox-protocols/dental-cleanse

Have you done the usual cleanses: colon, kidney, liver flushes?
http://www.curemanual.com/detox-protocols

Hulda Clark gives the best pollution avoidance measures:
http://www.curemanual.com/mind-cures-paradigm-shifts/book-cure-for-all-diseases
(download the free ebook)

Are all your food organic?

How much rest / sleep do you get?
What time do you sleep?

If I believed in parasites issue I wouldn't have been on this diet by now. There is no sense in combating parasites and continuing eating raw meats.

Candida may be an issues though, however, as in the situation with all liver/colon cleanses, it should be adressed only after the adrenals are cured.

Regarding "biological dentist"... I forget to remind all of you that advising ANY medical-related solutions is a bad idea. Let's assume I live in paleo times. It will reflect my situation very accurately .

My food is'n organic. There is no any such standards in my country. My food comes from domestically grown sheeps/cows fed mostly on grains and on grass when in season.

Since when I started suspect my adrenals to be the problem I tried to get as much sleep/rest as I could and made a rule going to bed before 10 p.m., usually by 9. I was doing it rigorously for at least one month (or more) but did not notice rejuvenation. At present I try to fall asleep as early as I can, usually around 10 p.m. I get up in 7-8 a.m.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 10:50:07 pm »
Yes, surely.

Fortunately I can get raw thyroid here. However, I have seen many warnings that adrenals must be adressed first. Besides, my thyroid testing lab results came out normal (free T4 is 17.87 with 10-25 normal range, free T3 is 12.64 with 5.4-14 normal and TTH is 1.33 when 0.25-5.2 is OK). So, I presume I don’t need any thyroid supplementation at present.

Why do adrenals need to be fixed first? Never heard of this, before.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 11:03:13 pm »
But cortisol also plays an important role for you as a thyroid patient. Namely, it helps cell receptors receive thyroid hormones from the blood to the cells. On the other side of the coin, low cortisol can result in high amounts of thyroid hormones to build in the blood, making your free T3 and/or free T4 labs look high in range with continuing hypo symptoms, or causing hyper-like symptoms on doses of Armour which shouldn’t produce those symptoms. The latter can include anxiety or nervousness, light-headedness, shakiness, dizziness, racing heart, sudden weakness, nausea, feeling hot, or any symptom which seems like an over-reaction to Armour, but are in reality low cortisol symptoms. Low cortisol can also keep you hypothyroid with hypo symptoms.

taken from http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/adrenal-info/

and

52) What sequence do I treat the hormones? What about the sex hormones? If the adrenals are weak, it is best to treat the low cortisol before working up to high levels of thyroid medication. And it is best to fully support these 2 before attempting to supplement the sex hormones, as they can change after the adrenals and thyroid are supported. To put it another way, if there is an imbalance of the adrenal and thyroid hormones, it can cause problems with the other hormones. If you know that you have an imbalance, it is fine to address it, but be alert for changes as your treatment progresses.

taken from http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/adrenal-info/faq/

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 11:18:30 pm »
But, presumably, this is only if you're using artificial hormones?  If you're just eating the raw glands, you'll be rebuilding the gland so that it produces enough of the right hormone.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 04:52:33 am »
Yuri, believe in your self; your body and mind have grate power, more than you believe. Find positive energy from words you pick up on this forum, which help your mind to grow with your body.

Perhaps you will find time to read the messages on this forum to help paint your picture - "Charles" seems worth following up:

http://www.livinlowcarbdiscussion.com/showthread.php?tid=334&page=1

I am sorry about your mother - time will heal and replenish you with the spirit you wish/choose.

Nicola

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 02:40:05 pm »
But, presumably, this is only if you're using artificial hormones?  If you're just eating the raw glands, you'll be rebuilding the gland so that it produces enough of the right hormone.

Well, I was also thinking that way...

There are numerous warnings in the web, for example:

"If low-thyroid people with these symptoms are put on thyroid hormone alone, they sometimes respond negatively. These people may have coexistent, but hidden, low adrenal. If they take thyroid hormone by itself, the resultant increased metabolism may accelerate the low adrenal problem.

The addition of thyroid hormone in this situation unmasks the also disturbing low adrenal situation. The proper approach in this case is to treat the patient with thyroid and adrenal support simultaneously."

http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/shamesadrenal.htm

I mean, no matter what kind of thyroid supplement you take, either in the form of raw thyroid or synthetic one, the effects of the hormones supplied is the same.

Before my kidney stones accident I was eating raw thyroid liberaly but must admit it didn't do me much good. Besides, most of the adrenal sufferers I comunicated with witnessed some harmful side-effects from thyroid supplementation without adressing adrenals first. They reported different complications and, in some cases, even "adrenal crash". That is when I understood the importance of incorporating thyroid support slowly.

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2008, 02:42:54 pm »
Yuri, believe in your self; your body and mind have grate power, more than you believe. Find positive energy from words you pick up on this forum, which help your mind to grow with your body.

Perhaps you will find time to read the messages on this forum to help paint your picture - "Charles" seems worth following up:

http://www.livinlowcarbdiscussion.com/showthread.php?tid=334&page=1

I am sorry about your mother - time will heal and replenish you with the spirit you wish/choose.

Nicola

Hi Nicola

Yeah, thanks for the support. Surely, I won't give up.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2008, 03:30:51 pm »
Yes, surely.

I've had my thyroid checked twice in the last 10 years, I don't know the numbers but they were in the normal range.
Even though my tests come back 'normal' my thyroid has ached for years. If it aches really bad when I wake up and doesn't go away soon after it usually means its going to be a rather shit day. At the moment I believe mine is candida related (could be wrong?) as my die off days have seemed to coincide with thyroid ache days. There seems to be a lot of talk on the web about a candida thyroid connection both by guru's and anecdotal.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2008, 03:42:19 pm »
I've had my thyroid checked twice in the last 10 years, I don't know the numbers but they were in the normal range.
Even though my tests come back 'normal' my thyroid has ached for years. If it aches really bad when I wake up and doesn't go away soon after it usually means its going to be a rather shit day. At the moment I believe mine is candida related (could be wrong?) as my die off days have seemed to coincide with thyroid ache days. There seems to be a lot of talk on the web about a candida thyroid connection both by guru's and anecdotal.

Yeah, here is the link:

http://www.naturallythriving.com/articles/candida2.php

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 09:20:50 pm »

The time has come. Time to realistically and pragmatically asses my general health condition. I have made overwhelming efforts to feel well. It baffles me to say at least to see no improvements. And it is really disappointing as good health is so crucially needed at this stage of my life/career. However, I must somehow get to the roots of things, understand what is wrong and fix it as soon as possible. And it is extremely tall order as I can’t see any options available as of yet. I mean, what should I change/improve as on a paper there is no way for improvement, or so it seems…

Since I started my Journal here I was trying to make up mind regarding what kind of nutritional strategy to adopt. In the process I realized that there is so much controversial diet related information in the internet that I sometimes wonder whether it is possible at all to reach any reasonable conclusion. Today, I feel like I know even less than what I did 2 or 3 years ago when I had to blindly follow a program implanted by parents. Raw or cooked? Zero-cab or low-carb? 3 meals a day or IF? Vegetables or no vegetables? SFA, MFA, PUFA? With or without salt? Macronutrients ratios etc. etc. etc.

I also have to mention that as long as any diet or dietary concept is concerned I have my hands tied as I struggle to eat normal or even minimal amount of food. If I consume more than half of lb of meat my day/night would be destroyed as a result of uneasiness and distracting feeling of presence of food in the stomach. This drives me mad.

As you all know from my previous posts I have a rather wide field of concerns. Of course, it would have been much easier to decide what to do should I know what is wrong with me. However, what is evident is that I don’t feel well to put it mildly. My major issues include poor digestion, lack of energy and pain in every possible part of my body. As I said before most of my symptoms resemble adrenal fatigue, but I still can’t be sure about it.

I was also considering candida. And it is no coincidence that it was mentioned here first thing for me to look to. But I thought if I had candida I would have benefited from my two months long zero carb  experiment. I would have continued that way of eating shouldn't I developed kidney stones. Now I see that fiber is essential in curing candida. A moderator of the anti-candida group stated that “fiber in veggies actually feeds the good bacteria in your gut so you don't want to just try to eat zero carb because you are going to get rid of candida faster, it doesn't work like that.
The fiber helps absorb toxins in your gut and sweep them out, and the nutrients help boost your immune system. Veggies are one of those things you want to choose carefully, choosing the highest nutrients and fiber veggies and ones that work for your body. Veggies are one of those things you also want to keep in balance, not too high and not too low.”

In my situation I must find a reasonable balance as far as carbs consumption is concerned, both in order to avoid reoccurrence of stones in the future and get rid of candida.

It was easy to eat some fruit and honey to maintain proper level of carbs in the diet. But if one tries to overcome candida the abovementioned foods are plainly unacceptable. And you know what, when I excluded sugary carbs (fruit/honey) I realized how difficult is to hit 50-60 g of carbs daily. In order to do that one should consume at least a kilo of veggs. And even this huge amount of plant stuff would only yield as little as 5% of estimated total caloric intake… Heck, no way one can reach Cordain’s suggestion of 35/65 ratio. A person must become a plant processing machine in order to accomplish that…

So the next step for me was to find out what foods I have to use instead. After carefully considering the situation, and bearing in mind seasonable nature of most vegetable foods in the place I live, I came to the conclusion that I will have to heavily rely on cabbage, which is available almost all year round.

And to make it palatable I chose to ferment it. On the one hand, I will have a good tasty source of fibrous carb and on the other it will provide beneficial flora in the gut.

Apart from cabbage I can only get hold of garlic and onion on the regular basis. Armed with this, I seriously intend to conquer candida, whether I have it or not.

I should mention avocados, but this product has several question marks. First, it is always imported in unripe form. Second, I cannot check the source from where it comes. Third, the price… for you to have a clear picture I may use the following analogy: 2 small avocadoes = 20 local reference units = 1 kilo of organs = one lb of the cheapest muscle meat = 10 kilos of marrow bones = 20 kilos of cabbage. So this is not satisfactory option.

Well, lets proceed to the practical aspects now…

As of the 1-rst of August I decided to make several crucial decisions related to the diet. First of all, I realized that I have never tried low carb diet which is low in sugar. I experimented with zero carb (unsuccessfully) but as long as I added back some carbs they inevitably came from fruits or honey, i.e. sugary sources. That is why I came to the conclusion that I should try zero sugar but very low carb diet. Low carb because for the reasons explained above as one cannot eat enough carbs without sugars and starches. And to my delight, no sugar diet is good for both, poor adrenal and healing candida. A kind of win-win situation.

Next, since I seriously decided to clear myself from candida, whether I have it or not, I can no longer eat any dairy… so despite I hate wasting any food, I had to throw away the leftovers of cream by Friday, as this was the day when I adopted my new strategy. This job was eased at that moment by the fact that I stopped to consider dairy as a food…

Yes, you got me right. No diary, no sugar (honey, fruit whatsoever else). Just organs, meat, marrow and cabbage ;) I want to avoid intermittent fasting so I would eat twice per day, before I leave home for work and after I get back. I will also take some calcium/magnesium supplements for a while to calm myself and ease concerns related to the possible lack of nutrients which may result from such diet or be due to my poor digestion. I will also report when I get hold of adrenal cortex extract.

So, here is my test philosophy in a nutshell:
1 NO SUGAR, NO DAIRY, NO STARCH
2 AT LEAST some carbs to prevent stones formation and provide body with completely oxidized faty acids
3 minimal mineral supplements
4 raw paleo diet, meats and marrow
5 IsoCort (pending)

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 09:37:29 pm »
Good idea on fermenting the cabbage.
When I read that you were going to start eating cabbage, I was going to respond saying "You should ferment it and that might help with your digestion!"
But lo and behold! I read the next paragraph and you had already decided that!

Best wishes to you, Yuri!

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2008, 04:41:05 pm »
On the first of August, barely a week ago, I made a complete overhaul of my diet. From that moment on I have been trying to come up with solid, well reasoned macronutrients ratios and decide on appropriate daily eating schedule. Here are some of the conclusions that I have reached.

As you know, since I decided to avoid sugar and starch it appeared extremely difficult to obtain at least minimal amount of carbohydrates from other sources. In order to do that I must consume around a kilo of vegetables daily, which I thought would be impossible with my digestion problems. On taking thought it seemed to me that I must aim at maximum efficiency, simplicity and utility.

After ruminating about it for a period of time, by trial and error, suddenly it came to me how it could be done. During the past week I had enough time to try different approaches and choose the most suitable one. Initially I ate two meat meals, one in the morning and one late in night right before going to bed. The morning meal made me uncomfortable for the best part of the day, so I had to sacrifice it. That allowed me to consume more vegetables during the day and I was able to reach the desirable minimum for carbohydrates intake. If I hadn’t done that I would have had to significantly increase my protein intake to compensate for the inadequately low carbohydrates and provide necessary glucose for the brain and muscles through protein gluconeogenesis. With my sluggish digestion and impaired metabolism it wasn't a good idea. Besides, I it seems that any protein meal makes me feel awful for prolonged periods of time. In this situation I would have been under a great danger of harming myself even more. Besides, the never-ending dull pain in the kidney area prompts me to think that my kidneys aren't in optimal state as well. What in turn supposes minimal protein intake to lessen load on kidneys. With all that in mind, I came to the conclusion that it would be best to finish my day with a meat meal while eating cabbage for the rest of the time. This measure was perfectly rational and well-judged.

As for the amounts of carbohydrates, proteins and fats there weren’t any doubts or much thinking after the daily schedule had been agreed. All in all I ended up with ratios very close or similar to Optimal Diet, a dietary model of human nutrition devised and implemented by Dr. Jan Kwasniewski. He suggests that the ideal proportion between the main food components of protein, fat and carbohydrates should be in the range of 1 : 2.5 - 3.5 : 0.5. You can familiarize yourself with his teachings here:
http://homodiet.netfirms.com/index.html
http://www.cybernaut.com.au/optimal_nutrition/optimal/optimal_nutrition.html

In a nutshell, my health oriented approach basically consists of about a kilo of fermented cabbage eaten during the day and one meat/organ and marrow meal consumed before going to bed.

Yuri

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2008, 05:12:02 pm »
Now I think I’m ready to post a new report on my health condition. I ask you in advance to forgive me any negativity. If you are too sensitive person I wouldn’t recommend reading this.

Just to remind you, about a month ago I decided to try a raw Paleolithic diet based on meats/organs and vegetables. I eliminated from my diet any fruits and dairy. Besides, throughout these four weeks I have been taking some supplements to help my adrenals. It is just the right time to sum up what I have achieved, at least because I’m still able to do that.

Don’t get me wrong, I would surely have liked to report my progress here. This is just what it all is about. Even if I had the slightest indication of any possible forthcoming improvement I would have remained upbeat. However, and it's a sad truth, I feel don't have a ghost of a chance to succeed or even survive. Let me explain why I’m so pessimistic.

The first major major challenge I was faced with on this diet was to get an adequate or minimal amount of carbs. It appeared to be extremely difficult to achieve that without such easy sources like high sugary fruits, honey or even dairy. Just like most of you here, I’m frightened by the very thought of eating vegetables in any significant amount. However, in order to provide a nominal 40 grams of carbs, I had to consume about a kilo of those nasty vegs daily.

After careful consideration of all the possibilities I came to the conclusion that I had to mostly rely on cabbage. To make it palatable I decided to ferment it, what, in turn, would have also provided me with beneficial bacteria. It didn't really happen like that. Primarily, I experienced two main issues with eating so much sauerkraut, namely eroding of enamel and severe gas/bloating/diarrhea. My teeth hurt so much that I wasn’t able to chew fat or anything at all. Gut pains and cramps became intense and intolerable.

I had to look for other options. I minimized my kraut intake and gradually got used to eating the cabbage raw, as it is. I didn’t like it but I thought I had to. It didn’t last long as I have found soon after that cabbage contains goitrogens, naturally-occurring substances in certain foods that can interfere with the functioning of the thyroid gland. Individuals with already existing and untreated thyroid problems may want to avoid cabbage for this reason. As a result, I had to stop eating cruciferous vegetables.

After some hesitation I decided to eat sweet peppers and/or tomatoes. In a sense it might have been the only possible solution. I was frustrated to find out later that these foods were members of the nightshade family. Some researchers have speculated that nightshade alkaloids can contribute to excessive loss of calcium from bone and excessive depositing of calcium in soft tissue. For this reason, these researchers have recommended elimination of nightshade foods from the meal plans of all individuals with osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, or other joint problems like gout. And I wouldn’t want that with the past history of forming urate stones.

At the end of the day I don’t know what to eat to supply my carbs. Was it wise to exclude fruits, dairy and honey? Would I benefit from these raw vegetables? As of now I don’t have the answers.

As for the supplementation, I started calcium/magnesium on the first of August. On the ninth I received IsoCort and from that moment on I had been slowly taking it as well. About a week or so ago I also added some iodine in the form of unheated herbal substance.

Let’s now proceed on the issue of my health or I’d better say the lack of it.

Well, as for me, I’m really scared about my condition. I have constant bouts of fatigue, brain fog, weakness (I’m not able to workout/exercise anymore, it’s even hard to walk), overall the quality of my life sucks and I am a shell of the person I once was. The people around me don't seem to realize just how bad and severe this is. I'm barely able to function anymore.

Apart from myriad of debilitating symptoms there are a few which clearly stand out. These are the dark circles under eyes, poor digestion and stomach pains, continuous and increasing dull back pain in the kidney area and severe pain in my knees. The latter two became more intense over the past four weeks. Lately, they significantly interfere with my sleep. This is the terrible pain 24-hours a day.

The worst part is there is no clear cut cure for this. I can’t think of what can be improved in my diet. My life is seemingly changed forever at 24 years of age. My future that I had always dreamed of and looked forward to is filled with misery and sadness.

I'm 24 years old and my life is in shambles right now. I’m not only tired of life I’m tired of being sick. I have so little reserves left. This feeling of helplessness reminds me so much about my vegan crash. Words fail me to describe the way I feel (or the way I struggle)…

I think it will be resolved one way or another. But I’m almost sure it won’t be in my favour. I can feel it coming. I mean, I’m really serious that I may die. This is too much pain to bear. So if I’m not responding here for a long time, be sure I appreciated your friendship!

with the hope,

Yuri

Satya

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2008, 05:43:33 pm »
Yuri,

Continue to hope and try new things.  Perhaps you should try one thing at a time for carbs; either fruit or dairy or honey.  Which one is most appealing to you?  If you have no problem with dairy, maybe you should try that, just because is has more calories and fat per volume too.  But perhaps the fruit is better?  Honey should not be a staple food imo, and with tooth problems, it may not be the best choice. 

Also, why not eat more than one time a day?  Perhaps you need a couple of meals for calories and overall nutrient absorption.  You must find what will work for you as an individual, rather than what may work for others.  Can you get ahold of some dried seaweed?  That is good for thyroid health, and can be a well-tolerated vegetable food in general.  I am sorry that I did not think about goitrogens when we were discussing sauerkraut!

I am sure other people may have better advice.  But hang in there and keep trying.  Tyler, what do you suggest?  You have come through major health issues on a rpd.

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2008, 06:41:46 pm »
I think I don't have problems with any of these. But these foods are forbidden on anti-candida diet and I was eating all of them to a lesser or larger extent right before I started my journal here...

I stopped intermittent fasting early in April. I may not have been accurate enough in my previous posts about it.
And yes, I can get here a kelp-like herbal supplement of iodine.

That is all I can do.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2008, 07:00:20 pm »
Are you taking raw thyroid as well as raw adrenal?

Have you seen a doctor re all this, yet? I mean if it's truly dangerous and  adrenal-related,  such as with addison's disease, it's absolutely essential  to get cortisol injections. Though, it'sunlikely to be  as severe as that.

Also, the thing with adrenals is to avoid over-stimulation(alcohol/violent exercise etc.) in general, as that weakens the adrenals.

What concerns me is that you've made multiple changes in your diet and you're still facing issues. This suggests to me that you may have some condition that either isn't diet-related at all  or is related to some long-term nutritional deficiency which you've overlooked. Is "high-meat" effective re digestion-issues? I take it my past suggestion re enzymes didn't work for you? What about adaptogenic/stress-relieving herbs like siberian ginseng, schisandra, astragalus etc.? I'll admit these herbs were useless in fixing my health-problems pre-rawpalaeo diet, but I was in a Raw Vegan/fruitarian phase for most of that time, so they might work on a more healthy RAF diet.

I do apologise re my previous suggestion re Intermittent Fasting as it failed to work for you. I'm now more careful to warn against doing IF if one happens to have  adrenal-related issues - (though, contrariwise, IF did work for me pretty well when I switched, early on in the diet, from eating all through the day to 1 large meal a day, despite my own adrenal-related issues at the time).

I take it you were 100% healthy prior to doing raw vegan, or am I wrong re this?

Normally, I don't recommend supplements unless they're just raw glands, but this is a special case. Have you considered using hormones such as pregnenolone(a precursor for several hormones in the human body), mentioned by Ray Peat?  I've heard conflicting reports re success on it  as well as horror-stories re side-effects re this supplement, so, IMO, only small doses should be attempted for short periods(10mg). I'm grasping a bit at straws here, but if your symptoms are really serious, then that sort of hormone-regime(preferably supervised by a doctor) might work, for all I know.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 07:19:10 pm by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk