Author Topic: Calcium  (Read 15688 times)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Re: Calcium
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2009, 04:57:40 am »
Actually, several symptoms of magnesium deficiency did apply to me:- fatigue, reduced exercise-levels. Then magnesium-deficiency causes hormonal imbalances resulting in increased anxiety, plus magnesium-deficiency causes weakness in the bones(and therefore ruins dental health) as well as causing abnormal heart-rhythm - all of which I had re rapid-beating heart etc.
Yes, I took your word for it that you had magnesium deficiency symptoms. I used to have a number of symptoms of it msyelf (IBS-C with D, Vitamin K deficiency with easy bruising, frequent and lengthy "colds" and "flus," hypoglycemia, stress, insomnia, muscle twitches, brain fog, anxiety, poor sleep quality, muscle aches, allergies, etc.) and probably still have a little. I was just trying to puzzle out why you got it from ZC, whereas I didn't, given that I seem to be prone to it and am probably still on the edge of it. My remaining symptoms actually improved on ZC/Carnivore.

I don't know much about ketosis, but your symptoms sound like what people report about that too. I've only had one noticeable symptom of that so far--sweet saliva, possibly from eating excess fats.
I will concede that I was worse off in my dairy-phase pre-rawpalaeo, as I also had muscle-cramps and other magnesium-related issues. But that doesn't exlcude a less severe magnesium-deficiency.
Yeah, I think dairy, along with wheat, is one of the prime contributors to Mg deficiency.
Who knows? Perhaps in some people, magnesium from plant foods is far better absorbed than magnesium in animal foods, not an issue unless ZC is involved.
Maybe I absorb animal Mg better, whereas you absorb plant Mg better?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

William

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2009, 05:36:37 am »
This might not be much help, but since we all carry different levels of pollutants, some of which can persist for many years, maybe that is it?
There could be a reason for AV's obsession with heavy metal poisoning.
It takes a biopsy to find some of these heavy metals, as they remain in the cells unless something drastic is done such as Andy Cutler's oral chelation protocol, or maybe NDF.

Offline Pierre

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2010, 05:17:20 pm »
Maybe a clue : some people are enduring trouble with the low carb transition, due to depletion of glycogen stores that induces temporary potassium & magnesium deficiency. In that case sodium is likely to cause more harm and should be avoided.

http://www.westonaprice.org/letters/1952-letters-summer-2010.html
See the comment "LOW-CARB PITFALL" (at mid-page)

Then magnesium deficiency could lead to tooth decay.

Offline infinitenexus

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2010, 04:51:32 am »
Just to correct one thing I read a few pages back, I believe Lex does eat salt, just a little sprinkled on his food.  It helped alleviate leg cramps.  I believe I read that in his journal.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk