Author Topic: Are Fun Runs Healthy?  (Read 3685 times)

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Are Fun Runs Healthy?
« on: April 23, 2010, 09:50:28 pm »
Fun runs are the latest craze in Manila.  It's like those badminton and biking craze.

I'm thinking the crazies joining these are looking for heart attacks, you know, constant inflammation with these long runs, 3k to 10k runs.  Of course I don't know much about exercise.

I need your experience and analysis, are fun runs healthy?

Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
Re: Are Fun Runs Healthy?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 10:20:48 pm »
There ok if you take it easy. Sprints, weights are better.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 11:25:25 pm »
They're OK if you run barefoot, and only do what is enjoyable to you. If it becomes un-enjoyable it is not good. You can be slow and enjoy it, or fast and enjoy it. But if you're not enjoying it there is a problem, and it won't be good. It's fine to push yourself as much, or as little as you feel like, but you must feel like it. It must feel right, and natural.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 11:33:56 pm »
Very long runs at the same pace are not healthy.

Shorter runs with lots of sprinting are how ever very healthy.

Picture is of a marathon runner and a sprinter

Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 11:40:35 pm »
It's not just sprinting which is healthy though. Any foot-travelling which is enjoyable can be healthy. You may do a walk, or a mixture of walking and sprinting, or a fast middle-distance style run. Occasionally you may even feel like travelling marathon distances by foot. You may even enjoy running the whole way, but you should do what feels right at the time, not force yourself to run through pain, discomfort etc at a set pace. If you feel like sprinting up a hill, walking for a bit, or maybe even end up holding a high sub-sprint(but fast) speed for several miles then that's fine too. Then you can go to a slower speed when you start to feel you don't want to keep that speed up any more, etc...

You can do a fun run and try to come first too, just as long as it feel right. Therefore you should have done some running beforehand, and figured out what sort of distances you could race(to win) at, and be comfortable at the same time, and select those distances.

If you don't run barefoot though, trying to make it healthy will be like trying to make a SAD diet healthy. You'd be starting in the wrong place entirely.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 11:54:06 pm by miles »
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 06:51:29 am »
I personally have done several 5k runs and actually if you exercise regularly than it really isn't even that much strain on your body. As for the marathon runner in the pic, that wont ever happen to you unless your running 10 miles + a day without much calorie intake. And just a side note humans are actually built to run long distances at a slower pace. This is supposedly how we became such great hunters. We would scare animals, they run at their top speed, and then in a couple 100 meters they're dead tired and take much longer to get their energy back because they have fur. Humans have several built in features that allow us to follow them but at slower speeds and then at the end we would sprint in for the kill.

Heres a great article on the subject.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Why-Humans-Are-Hairless-and-Sweaty-52233.shtml
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk