Author Topic: What's SPLEEN ? how much we should eat this everyday?  (Read 7248 times)

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
What's SPLEEN ? how much we should eat this everyday?
« on: April 22, 2010, 06:07:52 am »
this is so interesting that each time i eat a little piece of spleen, i feel i'm eating liver. my mom doesn't like the taste. anyone knows the benefit of eating spleen everyday? is it safe for  toddler to eat everyday spleen? how much we should consume? thanks in advance.
bugs or country chickens

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: What's SPLEEN ? how much we should eat this everyday?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 06:15:01 am »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spleen
It's a filtering organ to keep blood healthy and free of foreign gunk. AFAIK it's useful in fighting infections, etc.
I'd wager it's more akin to liver than kidney hence the similarities when you eat it.
I personally couldn't stand the taste last time I tried it. If you like it maybe you're a bit lower in iron than your body wants to be? Or maybe another nutrient in it.
I don't think you need to eat much of it. It's a pretty concentrated organ much like liver. I'd be careful giving much to your toddler as well; he shouldn't be terribly deficient in anything it can offer. Maybe some others can add their two cents. :)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 12:09:59 pm »
never tried it...no where to purchase it for me

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 10:23:42 pm »
Spleen should be ok once in a while, it has lots of Vit C and huge amounts of iron, should be careful about that iron.

It tastes pretty bloody and has rusty smell, and texture is not that nice either. If you can overcome taste issues having it once in a while would not hurt.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk