Author Topic: Anybody up for a no-sleep challenge?  (Read 6919 times)

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
Anybody up for a no-sleep challenge?
« on: April 27, 2010, 01:14:36 am »

If you have 2-3 days of leisure or minimal activity, I propose this challenge:

Try to sleep maximum 1-2 hours a day and eat every hour an egg or half a coup of milk or half a coup of meat.

AV says that one time he went on 1.5 hours sleep a day, 10 minutes at a time, for 22 days. During this time he ate every hour an egg or half a coup of milk or half a coup of meat. After that he went on to sleep the normal 5 hours a day and didn't felt tired at all.

You can try it for longer if you have the time, but 2-3 days should be pretty easy to do.

So, who wants to try and see if it's possible to sleep this little and not feel tired at all?

Offline Paleo Donk

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody up for a no-sleep challenge?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 04:43:05 am »
There are people that actually sleep in cycles somewhat similar to what you proposed without fatigue but I know of no one that has kept it up indefinitely.

Its called polyphasic sleep, where the idea is to get your body accustomed to getting all its deep, restful sleep in the shortest amount of time. This usually consists of 20-30 minute naps every 4-6 hours. Like I said, there are some bloggers out there who do successfully do this for some months or years at a time but from what I've seen they all eventually go back to a more normal sleep.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphasic_sleep

Now, if you combined raw paleo with polyphasic sleep you might possibly find something special. Heres another site with details

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/4/15/103358/720

I actually would try this if I was healthier but as it is its low on my list.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 04:54:21 am »
    No problem, except for the milk.  Milk makes me sleepy.  I don't need sleep otherwise.  Eggs energize anyway.  Are you sure he drank milk during this?  Did he drink the milk before the 10 minute?
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 12:03:23 pm »
If you have 2-3 days of leisure or minimal activity, I propose this challenge:

Try to sleep maximum 1-2 hours a day and eat every hour an egg or half a coup of milk or half a coup of meat.

AV says that one time he went on 1.5 hours sleep a day, 10 minutes at a time, for 22 days. During this time he ate every hour an egg or half a coup of milk or half a coup of meat. After that he went on to sleep the normal 5 hours a day and didn't felt tired at all.

You can try it for longer if you have the time, but 2-3 days should be pretty easy to do.

So, who wants to try and see if it's possible to sleep this little and not feel tired at all?

I recently did this kind of thing when one of my servers got nuked. No milk.
Was also learning various kinds of virtualization servers from vmware and xen.
It isn't fun.
But as long as I'm on raw paleo diet I can do it.
Last 2 days I'm sleeping long hours.
Probably recovering.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 03:24:13 pm »
    No problem, except for the milk.  Milk makes me sleepy.  I don't need sleep otherwise.  Eggs energize anyway.  Are you sure he drank milk during this?  Did he drink the milk before the 10 minute?

Yes, he said milk, but my guess is he drank fermented milk. I get sleepy too if the milk is not fermented into kefir.

The idea is to not eat carbs during this time.

About the 10 minute thing, it's probably possible if you can fall asleep fast. If you can't, maybe a longer period (like 3 half hour sessions) would be best.

Offline Neone

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 11:22:04 pm »
eating a natural diet.... while getting into an unnatural sleep pattern? haha
That's not paleo.

Offline Paleo Donk

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 04:29:29 am »
I'm not sure we really know what our natural sleep pattern is. Anybody have more info on this?

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 08:14:57 pm »
I'm not sure we really know what our natural sleep pattern is. Anybody have more info on this?

IMO we probably slept around 10 hours per day and obviously mostly at night, since darkness permits melatonin

William

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 10:25:35 pm »

For much of last winter I slept like a baby, meaning any time. Keep in mind that nobody else controls my time - this is unusual.
In order to resume waking most of the day (I like siestas) I had to deliberately control myself so as to sleep at night.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk