Author Topic: Raw, unpasteurised apple cider vinegar  (Read 19241 times)

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
Raw, unpasteurised apple cider vinegar
« on: May 04, 2010, 06:10:18 am »
Aajonus mentions apple cider vinegar in his first book (don't know about the second, havnt read it), especially in the remedy section.
Does anyone here incorporate cider vinegar into their regular diet and have you noticed any benefits (or negative side effects)?
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
Re: Raw, unpasteurised apple cider vinegar
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 05:22:18 pm »
    I use it occasionally, not regularly.  I mix it with hand packed Pacifica honey.  It's helpful.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 09:03:51 pm »
What do you find that it helps?

Btw, anyone used it topically on their skin?
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 09:22:21 pm »
I've heard that it is very useful for a number of conditions but that one has to get hold of genuinely raw apple cider vinegar with "mother of vinegar" in it. Clear types of raw apple cider vinegar are a waste of time, healthwise, as they don't have mother of vinegar in them.

I occasionally use raw apple cider vinegar. This is especially useful when other non-RPDers give me raw salads to eat here there.  But this happens only very rarely.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 07:40:55 am »
What do you find that it helps?

Btw, anyone used it topically on their skin?

I've use vinegar on an itch in my ear.  It got rid of it right away.  That was a long time ago. 

For the very rare times I get a sore throat or congestion, I drink the mixture when I wake up in the morning.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline maxscan

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 01:01:07 am »
I get eczema - at the moment on my right hand and both wrists - due to food intolerance / allergy / candida - mainly gluten but dairy too...

I use apple cider vinegar diluted 1:1 with filtered water and bathe the areas of damaged skin. It might sting a bit but after a couple of minutes it stops the itching and then over the next half hour or so it dries out the dead skin so you can brush it off, helps to seal any weeping skin and generally soothes the area. Then after about an hour I moisturise and leave it for a while before repeating the cycle when it starts to get itchy again.

Has really helped me manage it while I'm sorting out my diet / candida

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 04:35:10 pm »
When I had acne I use to use acv with water 1:1 on my face. It definately helped but after a while it dried my skin. I also used it to get rid of my gerd. Everytime I ate a meal I would simply put a tablespoon of acv into 8 oz of water and drink it. It got rid of that problem in less than a week :D! I also tried using it on my eczema but it dried my skin.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline sanborn

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 11:06:33 am »
I put Bragg's raw apple cider vinegar in my juice sometimes in relatively small amounts.  It certainly is not harmful but I don't do this often enough to really trace its value.  I am overall getting healthier though over the years.

Offline shannon

• Egg Thief
  • hey, that's me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 02:36:57 am »
doesn't help me.  i can honestly say that all the hype about it being anti-fungal and good for candida needs to be looked at once again.  i must be one of the 'rare' ones that doesn't benefit from it.  be careful until you know how you react i guess.  i don't see a need for it though -v
Vegetables are interesting but lack a sense of purpose when unaccompanied by a good cut of meat.  ~Fran Lebowitz

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 06:18:09 am »
Aajonus mentions apple cider vinegar in his first book (don't know about the second, havnt read it), especially in the remedy section.
Does anyone here incorporate cider vinegar into their regular diet and have you noticed any benefits (or negative side effects)?
doesn't help me.  i can honestly say that all the hype about it being anti-fungal and good for candida needs to be looked at once again.  i must be one of the 'rare' ones that doesn't benefit from it.  be careful until you know how you react i guess.  i don't see a need for it though -v

He told me to use certain lemon combinations to combat penicillin I have in my system from decades ago.  It wasn't enough, and he told me to consume clay.  He hasn't told me to use ACV for anything.  I do use it occasionally if needed as remedy from his book, once for a cold, a couple of times for salad.  It worked for me for those things.

Some use ACV to marinate their white-meat before making ceviche.  I can't stand it that way, I've tried it.  It makes the meat feel totally cooked to me.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 06:40:08 am »
i can honestly say that all the hype about it being anti-fungal and good for candida needs to be looked at once again. 

Come to think of it, I did use vinegar for candida type stuff once.  Decades ago, I wasn't raw at all at the time I think, not a healthy diet, don't really remember.  The vinegar wasn't raw either, but it worked.  I got a fungus in my ear, and used vinegar as ear-drops to successfully get rid of the fungus.  A medical doctor recommended it to me, dxed it etc.  It was one of the few times an MD didn't do something wrong.

Offline Hans89

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 10:51:41 pm »
I marinate my scalp with it after washing my hair (with washnuts) when I have problems with dandruff. It helps somewhat.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 11:00:02 pm »
Lemon is also good for a hair shampoo. I think AV recommends that and I have seen it mentioned in Ayurvedic books.
Cheers
Al

Offline Hans89

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 01:18:48 am »
Lemon is also good for a hair shampoo. I think AV recommends that and I have seen it mentioned in Ayurvedic books.

AV recommends using an egg. Lemon, would that work? It's acidic, for washing you need an alkaline medium, don't you? I use the washnuts, other people use baking soda.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 08:23:19 am »
AV recommends using an egg. Lemon, would that work? It's acidic, for washing you need an alkaline medium, don't you? I use the washnuts, other people use baking soda.

The hardcore pders I know use egg.  I'm not sure if whipped or slippery.  I think he says use lemon for your armpits.  How do you use the washnuts?

Offline ThatWasJustYourLife84

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 09:13:58 am »

I agree with you. I have systemic Candida and right now if I do anything out of line I have relapse of symptoms.

I have had massive vinegar cravings in the past and could never understand why it tasted good to drink vinegar straight from the bottle. I let some vinegar sit out in the open air one day, and I knew immediately why I craved vinegar so much. It smelled very yeasty after leaving it out.

It's a by product of yeast fermentation (Even the raw apple cider) and my opinion is that anyone with a candida problem should stay away from vinegar in all forms.

Offline shannon

• Egg Thief
  • hey, that's me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 09:25:53 am »
I agree with you. I have systemic Candida and right now if I do anything out of line I have relapse of symptoms.

I have had massive vinegar cravings in the past and could never understand why it tasted good to drink vinegar straight from the bottle. I let some vinegar sit out in the open air one day, and I knew immediately why I craved vinegar so much. It smelled very yeasty after leaving it out.

It's a by product of yeast fermentation (Even the raw apple cider) and my opinion is that anyone with a candida problem should stay away from vinegar in all forms.

well in most candida protocols they say to stay away from vinegar except acv.  that makes no sense.  it's still vinegar, right?  i couldn't understand why i'd get reflux symptoms from it when supposedly it 'cures' reflux.  i then put the pieces together and figured out it was just causing more problems.  what are you doing for your candida now?
Vegetables are interesting but lack a sense of purpose when unaccompanied by a good cut of meat.  ~Fran Lebowitz

Offline ThatWasJustYourLife84

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2010, 10:19:19 am »
well in most candida protocols they say to stay away from vinegar except acv.  that makes no sense.  it's still vinegar, right?  i couldn't understand why i'd get reflux symptoms from it when supposedly it 'cures' reflux.  i then put the pieces together and figured out it was just causing more problems.  what are you doing for your candida now?

Well. I stripped out all the supplements and went to bare basics first. I've been having severe reactive hypoglycemic symptoms for years and could never figure out why. Even a zero carb, low protein, high fat diet didn't fix it.

Slowly I add in one thing at a time. I switched to completely raw food. Saw benefits. I can now tolerate moderate amounts of protein with little problems. With cooked food I can't eat more than 10-12 grams of protein in a sitting, and I was rapidly losing muscle mass with this problem. I still can't tolerate any carbohydrate at all as I get severe hypoglycemic reactions hours later.

I've started with a Vitamin D3 Supplement because I get little sunshine. I also take a few drops of lugol's Iodine. I take about 12.5mg worth. I used to take allot more than that, but felt it was counterproductive. I've also started taking Concentrace Mineral Complex (mostly Magnesium) since Mag. is good for blood sugar control. I've been taking mega doses of Vitamin C for a while now. On a high carb diet it seemed to help stabilize blood sugar for a time, but eventually the benefits went away. I never reach bowel tolerance, even at doses as high as 20-25 grams in a day, which is scary....supposedly it means my body is in a very diseased state and is using literally all of the vitamin C I take to try and deal with it.

I take in a fair amount of Real Salt because I have weakened adrenals as well.

I'm about to start taking a coconut oil that was suggested by someone else because it is never heated above 78 degrees F, and is likely to be healthier than the other oils. The other ones are heated to about 115 degrees F, which to me is too hot.

I've tried Coconut Oil in the past and I get severe rashes from it (not an allergy, I have an amine intolerance and Coconut Oil is high in amines). I also experience SEVERE die off every time I try it. I threw up several times my last go around. Actually this is what clued me off to the fact that I have severe digestion/absorption issues because it had been about 4-5 hours since my last meal and I threw up solid, completely undigested chunks of meat.

So now I'm taking a product called "Digest Gold" with every meal and between meals, in addition to being primarily raw. It seems to help quite a bit and I believe I'm digesting better.

I've also been taking a very high dose probiotic. I get about 140billion CFU's per day. This supplement has benefited me the most, allowing me to go the whole night and a few hours after waking without food and little hypoglycemic symptoms.

I have constant gurgling/digestive juice flowing/burping all day and I also have pressure/faint pain in the pancreatic area and believe that I have a very weakened pancreas as well. Maybe the Candida has infested the pancreas?

It's weird. When I eat carbs the pancreatic pain/constant gurgling/burping and such goes away, but I have severe hypoglycemic problems. If I go zero carb the hypoglycemia improves, but the pancreas hurts and I have weird digestive issues.

One thing to note on the vitamin C. If you have insulin resistance/hypoglycemia I would avoid taking Vitamin C around meal time. Vitamin C competes with glucose for absorption and requires the same insulin mechanism to be uitilized in the body. If I take Vitamin C too close to a meal I feel hypoglycemic the whole day, food or no food. So I have to be careful. That said if I take it an hour or more away from food it makes me feel better and have more stable glucose levels.

The reason I still take supplements, even on a raw diet, is because I can't eat the organs or any other plant matter right now. The carbs in them are too much for my sugar regulation to handle. I remember trying to eat a Bell pepper several months ago which has like 2 grams of carbs in the whole thing and my pancreas hurt really bad and felt like it was having trouble controlling things.

It's a constant fight. It's like cancer. It's deadly once it gets to the point mine is because it apparently has punched through the intestinal wall and is in the organs and blood.

If I eat too much protein, or any carbs at all I get severe relapse in symptoms.

Offline shannon

• Egg Thief
  • hey, that's me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2010, 10:25:34 am »
i'm very sorry to hear that.  i hope everything you're doing works for you.   :) keep us updated as to how you're feeling, okay?
blessings

Offline Hans89

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2010, 08:13:46 pm »
    The hardcore pders I know use egg.  I'm not sure if whipped or slippery.  I think he says use lemon for your armpits.  How do you use the washnuts?

I boil them in water for 5-10 min and then use that as soap. Cause it's like water it takes a little to get used to it, but it works quite well for me.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2010, 02:59:54 am »
    Thank you Hans!

I've always hated the smell of vinegar.  I can tolerate it a little bit better now.

Offline Hans89

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2010, 03:55:20 am »
    Thank you Hans!

I've always hated the smell of vinegar.  I can tolerate it a little bit better now.

My girlfriend also hates it. I don't really understand her aversion, but many people seem to share it.

I use the vinegar after washing with the nuts to restore the ph and because it seems to work better to keep the dandruff in check. I also rub it on my face, neck, shoulders and hands. Seems to have a nice effect on the skin. You could of course also use lemon juice in its place if you want to give it a shot.

So... the intention for using vinegar is a different one from washing. I don't understand how lemon juice would help in washing the hair. Certainly I couldn't use vinegar to wash my hair.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2010, 09:11:05 pm »
I use the vinegar after washing with the nuts to restore the ph

I washed my hair with eggs last time.   Next time I'll try an after rinse of raw ACV and see how that goes.  Thanks.  Do you think it will be ok after eggs?

My girlfriend also hates it. I don't really understand her aversion, but many people seem to share it.

...So... the intention for using vinegar is a different one from washing. I don't understand how lemon juice would help in washing the hair. Certainly I couldn't use vinegar to wash my hair.

Thanks.  It's good to know I'm not the only one that hates vinegar.  It works for cleaning windows though and getting calcium water deposits off things.    

Vinegar has proven quite helpful to clean hair in some instances.  It's the only thing that gets out certain greases, pesky residues from conditioners.

Offline Hans89

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2010, 04:24:36 pm »
I washed my hair with eggs last time.   Next time I'll try an after rinse of raw ACV and see how that goes.  Thanks.  Do you think it will be ok after eggs?

I don't see any reason why it would not be ok.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2010, 01:25:42 am »
I don't see any reason why it would not be ok.

Good.  Thank you.  I'll do it later today then.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk