Author Topic: Freezing and thawing multiple times  (Read 2395 times)

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
Freezing and thawing multiple times
« on: August 21, 2010, 02:38:31 am »
I received a frozen cow liver today. As most of you are probably aware, they are quite large.
I've found that it requires a lot of effort to cut a chunk off of it to put in the fridge to thaw. Is it ok to thaw the whole liver a little to make this easier and then to put the rest back in the freezer? Would it be perfectly fine to do this on multiple occasions?
What do other people do, do you just thaw the whole liver and leave it thawed out in the fridge for days?

Another question:
Are the bacteria on one's hands a problem if you eat your meat etc with your hands? Especially if you get full before finishing everything so you put it back in the fridge for the next day so any bacteria that went from your hands to the meat can multiply? I know the bacteria that naturally occurs in raw meat is no problem.

Btw, I tried bone marrow today for the first time....absolutely gorgeous!
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Freezing and thawing multiple times
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 04:23:15 am »
I always wash my hands after using the toilet so I don't see any problems re handling raw meats with my hands as the latter are clean enough.

As for repeated thawing and refreezing , it's not recommended. Freezing ruptures the cell-walls so nutrient-loss rapidly results each time one thaws the meats. However, that said, repeated thawing/refreezing is still nowhere near as bad as cooking, so it's an option if you can't buy raw unfrozen liver. I usually buy all my meats raw and unfrozen, these days, but cut up really big pieces to put into the fridge and then just thaw each piece as I need it and eat it as soon as it's fully thawed.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
Re: Freezing and thawing multiple times
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 04:37:10 am »
Freezing ruptures the cell-walls so nutrient-loss rapidly results each time one thaws the meats.

That's a very good point.

I think what I will do is just thaw the whole liver and leave the lot in the fridge. It should be alright there for a week or two I guess...just like aging meat. Just hope the gf doesn't complain too much....she's not too fond of the look and smell of raw meat and organs.
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk