Author Topic: What are the best books to read up on about paleo?  (Read 7698 times)

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
What are the best books to read up on about paleo?
« on: May 08, 2010, 06:41:24 am »
Hi Im just wondering what the best books are to read about the paleo diet? Is there a book about raw paleo?
thanks
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: What are the best books to read up on about paleo?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 12:03:34 pm »
The only raw books I can think of that would fit within the categories on this site would be the Genefit Manual (instincto/anopsology) and Aajonus' material (Primal)

http://www.amazon.com/Genefit-Nutrition-Designed-Life/dp/1587611635

there are some reviews of traditional paleo diet books on http://www.rawpaleodiet.com/

the only other mentioning of RAF in print I know of in the raw food world is Carol Alt's books.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 05:03:13 pm »
There are only cooked-palaeodiet books like those by Ray Audette and Loren Cordain and Michael Eades and raw, non-palaeo books by Aajonus Vonderplanitz, that's about it. No one has yet come up with a genuinely rawpalaeodiet book as yet.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline actionhero

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 12:10:36 am »
I highly doubt there is anyone in the world who knows more about RAW PALEO than folks on this board. Aajonus is a pioneer but the people here are perfecting it through ruthless observation of what works and what doesn't. While he may have discovered the treasure the diamond is polished right here.
A P E X   P R E D A T O R

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 01:37:50 am »
It's true that there is no true "raw Paleo" book. In the English language, Anopsology by Guy-Claude Burger and Roger Faloci comes close (it's more of an article than a book), but it includes "sprouted cereals" and in practice it tends to be too heavy in fruits (though Tyler would probably disagree on that point) and too low in meats, for me to recommend it, though Burger did warn to eat "a minimum of fruit (always stop in the pleasant stage)."

Guy-Claude Burger developed Instincto. Here is an Instincto book list mainly sourced from BeyondVeg.com (I don't recommend paying for any--Burger's ideas are available in Anopsology free at the links below):

La Guerre Du Cru (literally, The War of Raw), by Guy-Claude Burger and Roger Faloci, Paris, 1985, 221 pages (in French). Guy-Claude Burger claims in the book/interview to have developed Instincto in 1964.

Anopsology, (French title is Instinctotherapie--Manger Vrai, which means Instinctive Therapy--Eat Real), by Guy-Claude Burger, Roger Faloci, undated; this is the third edition of La Guerre Du Cru
http://www.rawtimes.com/anopsy1.html
http://www.rawtimes.com/anopsy2.html
http://www.rawtimes.com/anopsy3.html

"Instinctive Nutrition", by Severen Schaeffer, 1987--$13 to Celestial Arts, Box 7327, Berkeley, CA 94707, (510) 559-1600--"the first in English & probly still the best intro! Scientific approach, no references, no index"

"Maximize Immunity", by Bruno Comby, 1994--$16 to Marcus Books, Box 327, Queensville, Ontario, Canada, LOG 1R0, (905) 478-2201, FAX: (905) 478-8338--"how Instinctive Nutrition allows one to avoid AIDS & other immune disorders--289 scientific references, no index"

"Eating Instinctively on Earth, an Autobiography & Guidebook", by Zephyr--1995, $20 to Zephyr, Box 2169, Pahoa, HI 96778, (808) 965-6069--<<fascinating "how to actually LIVE it"--emotional, hippie-style "lower mind" approach, no references, no index>>

Instinctive Nutrition by Severen L. Schaeffer (Paperback  - Nov. 1, 1995)

Instinctive Nutrition: Food, Your Body and You by Helen Young, Steven Alley, Softcover, ISBN 0958760705 (0-9587607-0-5) --$20 to Accord Health & Lifestyle Management, Box 41, Flemington, 3031, Victoria, Australia--Simple intro book; "I sent $20 2/96 & have heard nothing of it nor my money as of NOW -- SO not recommended -- but if you get one, lemme know if it's useful!" -- Bo7b
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 01:58:49 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 07:28:53 pm »
Yes, the books on Instincto diets are the only ones with a rawpalaeo-type philosophy. Instinctos all agree with rawpalaeos as to what foods are healthy or not.

Instincto, incidentally, covers a very wide range of different individuals, from 100% raw vegans to Instinctos who eat mostly raw animal foods. Though, I would agree that most Instinctos fall into the c. 10% raw animal foods/c.90% raw plant-foods category.

I don't see 10% raw animal foods as being all that bad. I mean, the main problem with raw plant foods is that they are not complete foods - as long as one solves that problem by including a minimum amount of raw animal foods, everything's fine. Of course, it wouldn't work too well for me as I tend to eat too much if I splurge on the raw carbs, but others seem to do fine on such a regime.

*I must do a review soon of Burger's book War of Raw. It's a bit annoying that the only reviews I've put up have been of pro-cooked-diet books.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 07:53:03 pm »
I wonder if it would be OK for me to add those 3 Anopsology pages to rawpaleodiet.com. Any copyright issues? Maybe I could ask Guy Claude Burger himself? Don't know his e-mail address but I think he appeared on the paleocru forum. *Maybe, I'll just link to the rawtimes articles instead, given my previous unfortunate comments re Burger on this forum.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 08:06:47 pm by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 09:54:43 pm »
I wonder if it would be OK for me to add those 3 Anopsology pages to rawpaleodiet.com. Any copyright issues? Maybe I could ask Guy Claude Burger himself? Don't know his e-mail address but I think he appeared on the paleocru forum. *Maybe, I'll just link to the rawtimes articles instead, given my previous unfortunate comments re Burger on this forum.

Is he out of prison?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 02:28:22 am »
Is he out of prison?
Well, he posted on our French sister site paleocru, so I suppose he is.
" Ron Paul.

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 04:36:58 am »
Carol alt, you know the famous supermodel came out with a book not too long ago that created a lot of attention for the raw food world, specifically meat eating. Her book is titled eating in the raw. Its mostly about how she cured her ailments with a doctor through eating raw veggies and meat. Very cool that she made raw much more acceptable/ popular.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

"There is a lot of pressure to be sexualized but not to actually be sexual."
- women's health member

Offline diogene

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 06:23:27 am »
Well, he posted on our French sister site paleocru, so I suppose he is.

he is....and i must confirm that there are so many way of eating instincto from mostly fruits and nuts to mainly raw animal food , and even in a year of a person things could change quickly...

sorry , i forget to say hi! new on this forum , from south france and instinctive eater
 really close (for myself meat and raf plays a hudge role !) to the rawpelodiet movement that i just discover
thanks for all the info shared and sorry for my poor english......

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 07:59:59 pm »

Hi Tyler,

I don't think GC Burger would mind, but anyway we can ask him. By the way, the English translation of his entire book "Manger vrai" is freely available on line here : Anopsology - A very new approach to human health

By the way, I don't think it is suitable to eat "instincto" for some years while being vegan or vegetarian. Almost all the instinctos I know of eat a lot of meat, eggs, shellfish, fish - most of us eat about everyday at least one of these RAF.

Regards

Francois
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 12:06:08 am »
Thanks for the new link, Francois. It's nice to be able to access the full text again.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 12:11:11 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 02:13:30 am »
I think I may just link to the above article via a general article on the raw food movement.

Strictly speaking re philosophy/instinct, an Instincto should be eating a wide variety of rawpalaeo foods(ie not only raw plants - or only raw animal foods).It's just that I did note that many people in Europe view themselves as being Instinkto but who only eat c.10% raw animal foods.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk