Author Topic: Today's workout?  (Read 364743 times)

Offline proteus

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Today's workout?
« Reply #500 on: April 08, 2011, 06:30:55 am »
THUR: biked 20 miles.

was very tired on the last 2 miles.  probably not gonna bike tomorrow.

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: April 08, 2011, 02:22:36 pm »
yesterdays workout
HIT-workout

1 Squat (ass to the grass)   12 x 265 lbs (120 kg)
2 Leg press                       8 x 750 lbs (350 kg)
3 Calf raises                      8 x 330 lbs (150 kg)
4 Machine pullovers            7 x 240 lbs (110 kg)
5 Machine Dips                  7 x 260 lbs (117,5 kg)
6 Pulldown                        6 x 240 lbs (110 kg)
7 Standing press (barbell)    7 x 132 lbs (60 kg)
8 Deadlift                          6 x 240 lbs (110 kg)

body stats   5ft 10 inches (1,77m)
                 214 lbs (97 kg)

Total elapse time 23min 10 sec (exercises 2-8)
One of my better workouts  ;D
This weekend 40 mile biking hope to better last weeks 1hr 45 mins

horrible painful workouts to you all!!
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: April 09, 2011, 07:19:18 am »
Friday:
Weighted Chin:      1x5,1x6 with 75lbs
Overhead Press:    2x7, 1x6 with 125lbs
Deadlift:               3x6 with 265lbs
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

"There is a lot of pressure to be sexualized but not to actually be sexual."
- women's health member

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: April 09, 2011, 08:29:48 am »

body stats   5ft 10 inches (1,77m)
                 214 lbs (97 kg)

horrible painful workouts to you all!!

awesome man...you sound quite..massive

Friday:
Weighted Chin:      1x5,1x6 with 75lbs
Overhead Press:    2x7, 1x6 with 125lbs
Deadlift:               3x6 with 265lbs

nice. Someday we'll have to do a workout. I lifted with paleodonk recently which was a nice mix from working out alone.

---
went in today for the first time in a bit...due to some fasting and junky stuff.
500 m row
box jumps
a few sets chins repeated a few times during the other exercises
front squats
press

Offline proteus

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: April 09, 2011, 06:39:02 pm »
FRI: started biking, did 8 miles by the time it started raining, aborted.

then went to the pool.  did my usual thing with swimming one lap at a time fast pace then resting.  was in the water for 1.5 hours.

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
  • "...embrace your fear..."
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #505 on: April 11, 2011, 09:09:53 pm »
Hey Skinny I dunno what you do, but when I used to do calf raises I used to bend my knees towards relaxation of the calves so I could get the full ROM, and then straighten as I contracted. More natural movement that way too, similar to jumping, and easier to balance.

Exactly.

My calf raises are not "good form" in the textbook sort of way. Mine are very ballistic (almost like jumping), though I don't quite get a full ROM because I'm moving fast instead of slowly going thru the entire range.

My squats are probably not good form, either. Also done rather quickly, not full range "ass to grass" style - more like jumping or a quick take-off. I modified fighter squats (not sure the proper name) that we did from years ago when I was boxing & wrestling.

Monday (April 11):

TG warm-up
light weight
60 pull-ups
60 chin-ups
150 calf raises
200 squats
200 sit-ups
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 09:52:26 pm by SkinnyDevil »
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab
http://www.skinnydevil.com

Offline proteus

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: April 11, 2011, 09:40:45 pm »
saturday: don't remember i think i rode the bike for a while or maybe it rained
sunday morning: don't remember, maybe i rode the bike, maybe not

sunday evening: went to the pool, was in the water for a bit over 1.5 hours. would have stayed longer if not for two things:

1 - the pool closed for the night
2 - chlorine started to bother my eyes

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #507 on: April 12, 2011, 09:48:31 pm »
Tuesday (April 12):

TG warm-up
light weight
150 push-ups
200 squats
1100 stairs

50 minutes.
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab

Offline proteus

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: April 12, 2011, 10:50:20 pm »
Monday: weather was great around noon.  biked 20 miles without a shirt.  got very slightly sunburnt.

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: April 13, 2011, 09:11:48 pm »
awesome man...you sound quite..massive
Yeah well...., not all of it is muscle. Only just went RPD. I'm nowhere near fat but not ripped either. RPD helps a lot however I should reduce my raw milk intake as it is fattening. My goal is ~200lbs, witout loosing muscle off course. To be reached in 2 months. Should be doable.

I'm trying to cut down my carbs slowly but still need quite a lot of carbs prior to working out otherwise truely intense exercise is impossible. Used to eat a large pasta dish for lunch than work out late afternoon. Now I eat ~500gr of grapes and an apple with 0,5ltr milk works for me. Non workout days are rather low carb ~50gr.
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: April 13, 2011, 09:18:41 pm »
Tuesday (April 12):

TG warm-up
light weight
150 push-ups
200 squats
1100 stairs

50 minutes.
Just curious. What's your goal with those workouts? They are nowhere near intense enough for muscular development so I gues you do them for cardio? or to burn callories?

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #511 on: April 13, 2011, 11:09:08 pm »
Just curious. What's your goal with those workouts? They are nowhere near intense enough for muscular development so I gues you do them for cardio? or to burn callories?

Geez...everybody's a critic.

Goals? I like to move, I like to work out, I like to sweat. I like to be physically available for whatever life has to offer, and thus far these sorts of workouts have served me well. Very well.

Not intense? You talking about that particular work-out above or all the workouts I've posted? To each his own, but I like doing 50-100 pull-ups & 200-1000 sit-ups & tabata stair sprints as well as biking & swimming across the lake. Intensity? Well, I suppose it depends on how you're using the term "intense".

Wednesday - light work-out:

75 pull-ups
75 chin-ups
150 squats
400 calf raises

Tomorrow back to the heavy bag!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 11:25:16 pm by SkinnyDevil »
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab

Offline proteus

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: April 13, 2011, 11:24:29 pm »
Tues: went swimming, 1.5 hours in the pool.

Offline proteus

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: April 13, 2011, 11:33:10 pm »
Geez...everybody's a critic.

Goals? I like to move, I like to work out, I like to sweat. I like to be physically available for whatever life has to offer, and thus far these sorts of workouts have served me well. Very well.

Not intense? You talking about that particular work-out above or all the workouts I've posted? To each his own, but I like doing 50-100 pull-ups & 200-1000 sit-ups & tabata stair sprints as well as biking & swimming across the lake. Intensity? Well, I suppose it depends on how you're using the term "intense".

i'm actually with you here Skinny.  the traditional train one muscle group a day and kill it up mentality i think is whack.  i am more inclined towards having two full-body workouts a day at a leisurely intensity.  i used to work out so hard in the gym people were waiting for me to break my back or something but that was foolish - that's not a way to build a foundation of health and fitness.

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: April 14, 2011, 01:03:04 am »
As I sad just curious no critism intended. By intense I mean percentage of momentairy ability. no doubt your workout are hard, probably even brutal. When you can do more than 20 reps you move towards aerobic exercise, you do not ask the muscle to perform near its peak performance. If you would the reps would be lower. Not asking a muscle to work within its reserve anaerobic ability means no growt stimulation because your muscle can easily do what you ask. Stil great cardio though thats what I meant.

I hate the mainstream 1muscle a day low intense workouts. As you could have seen in my post my workouts is full body very heavy very intense and very short. Try doing 8 exexises to complete muscular failure in 20min and you  know what I mean. This kind of workout stimulates all 3 kinds of condition: muscular strengt, cardiovascular condition, metabolic condition. No amound of work can substitute intensity.

Offline proteus

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: April 14, 2011, 01:49:59 am »
Try doing 8 exexises to complete muscular failure in 20min and you  know what I mean. This kind of workout stimulates all 3 kinds of condition: muscular strengt, cardiovascular condition, metabolic condition. No amound of work can substitute intensity.

wrong thread.  the correct thread is here:

http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/exercisebodybuilding/the-best-work-out!!!/msg68561/#msg68561

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: April 14, 2011, 02:08:52 am »
yesterday
jump rope
snatch training and PVC mobility
press
front squat
overhead squat
5 mins on rope pull down machine at highest setting w/
50 air squats
snatches
foam roll

---

i'll probably be back just posting on the iron addicts site. I come here to check a bunch of PMs and get dragged into all kinds of discussions and I can't relate at all to why some people think the way they do...I type real quick but still...i'm going to get fired.  -d

Offline proteus

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: April 14, 2011, 09:23:07 am »
WED: went to gym.

did some power cleans, some chin ups and some cable crossovers for chest. 

also ran about half a mile on a treadmill at around 9 mph.  i started from about 7.5 mph and kept increasing the speed to 9.3 mph then when i started feeling a bit of soreness in my abs i hit stop.  that's the way i usually run now - i keep increasing speed until i feel that my body has received the stimulus for adaptation then i just hit stop.

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #518 on: April 14, 2011, 10:19:59 am »
As I sad just curious no critism intended.

Oh, no offense taken, man. I was being somewhat tongue in cheek. Your work-outs are BEAST. Would kill me to even attempt that kinda weight.

Good point regarding peak performance of the muscle(s) under stress. I actually need to employ a bit of that. I dropped heavy weights a coupla years ago after a few injuries. Most of that is cleared up, so....

Quote from: proteus
the traditional train one muscle group a day and kill it up mentality i think is whack.

I shoulda been listening to this bit of advice yesterday. I didn't work just one muscle group, but I went a bit too intense on the legs and am REALLY feeling it today! Probably woulda been OK had I not added the stairs to the end of the workout, but.....

Quote from: KD
I come here to check a bunch of PMs and get dragged into all kinds of discussions and I can't relate at all to why some people think the way they do

Hahahaha!!!!!
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: April 14, 2011, 09:11:22 pm »
Testosterone is going well, I have more primary sex characteristics present like having to shave every day or else I'll have  a beard and my girlfriend will get annoyed. Harder erections as well. I feel my situation is directly related to sleep. When I dont sleep well, my testosterone plummets, which is why I cant wait til summer when I can sleep 10 hours a day. Whether I have high T or not, I always seem to have an easy time putting on muscle and getting stronger if I eat and sleep enough. I speculate that part of this is that my receptor sites for T are wide open in my muscles and my muscles readily take in the T so when I get blood tested it looks like I have low T but I dont. I got a 24 hour urine testosterone test and it came out over the top of the range, which means my T receptor sites are wide open and my androgens are being well utilized in my body. This is a fairly new recognized phenomenon, which I am currently studying.

Yep, was getting to that way of thinking after reading American Africans have the same levels of T that whites. They have more receptors though.

“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: April 14, 2011, 09:27:53 pm »
This weeks (tomorrow)

Deadlift only.

New PB everyweek (last week 291.5 pounds) me at 154 pounds I think. Aiming for 2.5 bodyweight is this a reasonable goal?

Ps I don't add the bar weight, is this the deal?

“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: April 14, 2011, 10:07:37 pm »
Yesterday:
Leg extension neg acc*    15 x 200lbs
Full squat                          8 x 240 lbs
Leg presses                      7 x 750 lbs
Calf raises                         8 x 330 lbs
Machine pullovers             7 x 240 lbs
Machine dips                     7 x 265 lbs
Deadlifts                            6 x 245 lbs

* negative accentuated training 2 leggs up 1 down had to this the whole weightstack was no longer heavy enough for normal style 2 legged extensions

ps Skinny devil continued our talk in the best workout topic

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #522 on: April 14, 2011, 10:49:38 pm »
Dude, just reading your workouts are making me sore...

Thursday:

TG warm-up
light weight
(total body) 20 minutes
330 stairs
3 rounds heavy bag
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: April 14, 2011, 11:00:28 pm »
This weeks (tomorrow)

Deadlift only.

New PB everyweek (last week 291.5 pounds) me at 154 pounds I think. Aiming for 2.5 bodyweight is this a reasonable goal?

Ps I don't add the bar weight, is this the deal?

yeah you for sure include the bar weight. So you are well over 300. nice fricken job man!

2.5 seems doable..not sure if its reasonable :)

Offline proteus

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: April 15, 2011, 12:33:51 am »
Aiming for 2.5 bodyweight is this a reasonable goal?

2.5 bodyweight is realistic IMO but not at 154 lbs.  maybe at 180 lbs. 

i mean there's probably about 60 lbs of weight in you that cannot be used towards lifting - stuff like bones, brain, heart, skin etc.  so instead of figuring 154 x 2.5 it's more like ( 154 - 60 ) x 3.5 or so.  these numbers will work better in terms of bodyweight x 2.5 when your bodyweight is greater because the 60 lbs ( brains etc ) will remain constant.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 12:40:23 am by proteus »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk