Author Topic: Today's workout?  (Read 364545 times)

Offline makin8

• Forager
    • View Profile
Re: Today's workout?
« Reply #825 on: May 16, 2012, 03:00:19 am »
Loving this topic! You guys are animals and its given me some great ideas for new work outs!

Today my Crossfit WOD is Overhead Squat 1-1-1-1-1-1-1, my previous record was 65lbs.  I find any kind of squatting difficult because I have two bad knees but I'm hoping I have improved since October when I did this WOD last.

Later on tonight I will be getting my cardio on at ball hockey, really looking forward to it!

Lots of energy today, have eaten all Paleo today and feelin good. Also got my dose of Vitamin C as the sun is shinnin'

Happy work outs everyone!

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
  • "...embrace your fear..."
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #826 on: June 01, 2012, 08:50:40 pm »
Good to see y'all still posting!!!

I've been trying to get 2 work-outs per day most days....extra tabata and heavy bag work.
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab
http://www.skinnydevil.com

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: May 21, 2013, 05:52:32 pm »
Squat 400x5
Press 190x5
Dead  440x5
Chin   BWx12
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: May 22, 2013, 12:52:06 am »
Squat 400x5
Press 190x5
Dead  440x5
Chin   BWx12

Have you stopped keeping everything in the 8 to 12 rep range?
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: May 22, 2013, 05:59:09 pm »
Started doing some powerlifting style pure strenght stuf. Got a bit stronger however my metabolic conditioning went to shit. Now I do two workouts a week. One in the above style; Big compounds few exercises low reps. The second workout is a HIT style workout; 8-10 exercises all to utter failure for 8-12 reps no rest in between sets.

I also do some strong man stuff like farmers walks at home. And i ride my bike to work every now and than (~60km) whenever it isn't raining. So not recently.
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline Neone

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: May 22, 2013, 08:16:34 pm »
I overhead pressed my body weight today (145lb), pretty happy with that
That's not paleo.

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: May 23, 2013, 01:53:29 pm »
I overhead pressed my body weight today (145lb), pretty happy with that
Congrats on that!
Strict (military) press or push press?

Offline Neone

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: May 24, 2013, 01:27:17 am »
Strict military press.
It was actually you who got me to stop talking out my ass about 'functional strength' and start lifting. I just flung weights around for a bit but once I did some reading and did a program (I'm just doing a 5x5 starting strength) I really noticed the gains. I've been lifting properly for about 8months but began maybe 18 months ago.

So far my bench press has gone from about 110 lbs to 200 lbs, and my military press from about 80 lbs to 140 lbs.  I don't have a squat rack so I do pistol squats with 60 lbs  and I can't drop the weights so deadlift 300 which I could probably do more but slowly lowering it to the ground is brutal haha.

I have only noticed only good things from weight lifting ( properly) and for something that takes me less than 2 hrs a week, I would recommend it to everybody.
That's not paleo.

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: May 24, 2013, 02:36:49 pm »
Good to hear lifting worked out so well for you.
Starting strength is a decent program. You said you are only 145lbs..? You're really quite strong for someone of that weight. Part of starting strength is eating 5000-6000kcal to; "Get your narrow ass a little bigger" Freely quoting Rip here ;)

Pistol Squats.. hmmm I would really try to get hold of a squat rack. Or try this:
Matt Brouse 355 lbs Steinborn Squat
If you're brave..

You're right weightlifting is very beneficial to all. To quote rip again:
"Stronger people are harder to kill and more usefull in general"

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: May 24, 2013, 02:41:38 pm »

Offline 1988

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: May 25, 2013, 01:02:57 am »
Good to hear lifting worked out so well for you.
Starting strength is a decent program. You said you are only 145lbs..? You're really quite strong for someone of that weight. Part of starting strength is eating 5000-6000kcal to; "Get your narrow ass a little bigger" Freely quoting Rip here ;)

Pistol Squats.. hmmm I would really try to get hold of a squat rack. Or try this:
Matt Brouse 355 lbs Steinborn Squat
If you're brave..

You're right weightlifting is very beneficial to all. To quote rip again:
"Stronger people are harder to kill and more usefull in general"

Very cool video. HIR, what's your stats? bodyweight, height, years training may I ask?

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: May 25, 2013, 05:45:44 am »
Very cool video. HIR, what's your stats? bodyweight, height, years training may I ask?
1.77mtr
104kg
i have been training for six years or so. On and of tried a lot of different things.

Offline thunderseed

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
Cool thread!
« Reply #837 on: January 08, 2014, 03:14:12 pm »

Today I strength trained. I'm the only girl at the gym who doesn't lift 5 pounds LoL :) I do full body workouts.

Did a little muay thai shadow boxing.

I have a lower back injury so instead of squats and lunges I do hamstrings laying down, weighted abductors with just 30 pounds and weighted butt lifts and calf raises LoL.

Right now I lift 25 pounds dumbell bicep curls and tricep curls but it's become easy so I can move up to 30 pounds anytime.

Then I move onto pushups, unless i do intervals. I also have a toe injury so right now I have to put my feet up on the treadmill to do pushups so I don't put weight on my toe. I'm very proud that I can now do 20 pushups for each set! That might not be much of an accomplishment for most people but it is for me because no matter how strong i was before I could never do full pushups lol I always had to do them from my knees before.
I do the tricep work after even though pushups do enough of that.

Then I work my back muscles with 30-40 pounds and 80-90 pounds, then I do shoulders with just 12 pounds. Yeah, it's a very tiny muscle, it makes me cringe when I see people work their deltoids and rotator cuffs with heavy weights. I learned the hard way, torn rotator cuff, it was the most painful injury I've ever had and I've had a lot of injuries, still gives me problems off and on to this day, but as long as I keep it strengthened with 10-12 pound weights it doesn't bother me.

I think that's all but i feel like im forgetting something.

I work the abdominals last. I do planks, side planks and lastly crunches and side crunches. I can do about 400 in a couple minutes, very well trained from muay thai even though i dont go anymore LoL get injured too often.

After that I go for a swim in the pool and do tons of fast laps for about half an hour, then I go in the steam room for about two hours. My tolerance for extreme temperatures is insanely abnormal lately, but my circulation is probably the healthiest in the world ever since ive been doing ice swims daily. Strange that my tolerance for cold temperatures has also allowed me to be able to withstand extreme hot temperatures too. Before I could only stay in the steam room for about 15 minutes, now I stay in there straight for 2 hours and never get dizzy.
I do this routine often just because I can't play any of my sports and stuff lately, which sucks.
My injuries are not healing fast enough.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #838 on: January 08, 2014, 06:13:29 pm »
I have a lower back injury ...

My injuries are not healing fast enough ...

Have you seen a Chiropractor?  A dorn practitioner?  An acupuncturist?

Have you come across Bone Flesh and Cartilage herbals?

Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: January 08, 2014, 11:22:04 pm »
How often do you exercise like that thunderseed?  It's possible that your injuries aren't healing fast because you need to rest. 

Offline thunderseed

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #840 on: January 09, 2014, 09:30:57 am »
I have a lower back injury ...

My injuries are not healing fast enough ...

Have you seen a Chiropractor?  A dorn practitioner?  An acupuncturist?

Have you come across Bone Flesh and Cartilage herbals?
I was taught accupressure and my dad was helping me with that for awhile which helped a bit, but he long since gave up. I was going to physio but it eventually stopped helping. Massage makes it feel better but I can't afford that.
I was told it was Sciatica caused by bulging disc, odd at my young age but I had a previous disc injury from doing crazy plyometric jumps all the time. I've been told I should not do any jumping activies ever again. They originally thought my toe injury was connected to my back injury because at the time I also had numb and tinglies in my leg but last time I went to physio he said it might not be related because he realized the toe was injured by itself.

What are bone flesh herbs?

Offline thunderseed

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: January 09, 2014, 09:48:36 am »
How often do you exercise like that thunderseed?  It's possible that your injuries aren't healing fast because you need to rest.
Yeah it could be part of the reason, me not resting will just add on to the demands of amino acids that I need to repair myself. Mostly it is because I'm lacking in amino acids as my body is going through cellular structural changes right now and I am in need of a lot more protien than usual, so when I eat meat it isn't going to my injuries because my entire body is in need of it right now. I'm actually suppose to be eating about 5 pounds of meat a day, that's abnormal and freaking impossible for me, so that's why it's taking so long for my body to change and heal, because im not giving it even half that amount.

I work out every other day or every second day, sometimes I've taken four days off in a row. When I do my cold swims that exhausts me. I think I get enough rest.
I am not the type of person that enjoys restful activities though, I like lots of extreme adrenaline haha.
 I'm an addictive person and have been known to overtrain. And I mean severely, like I had eating disorders and addiction to physical activity before but now I am recovered and give myself rest days.
But it hurts to walk after awhile, so I haven't really even been walking around and have been getting rides everywhere. It doesn't bother my injury to strength train or swim, but lifting things from a bent over position, sitting, biking, longboarding or walking for long isn't cool.
Physio had me take an entire 2 weeks off of strength training a couple months ago, and only did swimming, pretty much every day.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: January 09, 2014, 09:56:12 am »
I'm actually suppose to be eating about 5 pounds of meat a day, that's abnormal and freaking impossible for me, so that's why it's taking so long for my body to change and heal, because im not giving it even half that amount.

What do you do to utilize that high an amount of protein? (I'm calculating roughly over 500 grams of protein in that amount of meat.) Even at half that amount, doesn't most of the protein convert to glucose?
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: January 09, 2014, 10:31:41 am »
Maybe you need to diversify your proteins, start eating more offal, seafood, and raw dairy/cheese, eggs, bone broths and even consider gelatin and glucosamine/chondroitin supplements, unless you can get a hold of plenty of gristle or fish carcasses.  This will give your body plenty of different types to choose from and can help aid healing.

Offline thunderseed

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: January 09, 2014, 10:46:08 am »
What do you do to utilize that high an amount of protein? (I'm calculating roughly over 500 grams of protein in that amount of meat.) Even at half that amount, doesn't most of the protein convert to glucose?

Yeah, normally it would for people but mostly excess protien harms the kidneys and liver because the convertion to glycogen or fatty acids creates toxins as it is not meant to be used as a carbohydrate or fat, but right now what is happening for me is the protien is quickly being broken down for use as a cellular structure repair because there is alot that has to be repaired in my body so there is no excess leftover, but the type of amino acids that are needed for the specific repair of organs are only found in meat and milk, there are other nutrients found in meat that are needed as well, thus I can't use protien supplements or get protien from vegetable sources and I try not to eat protien from other sources or else it won't be used as quickly. Also I cannot eat as many vegetables as I usually do because that would only spike my vitamin levels, as there are many vitamins found in meat, and it would aid in detoxing, which is unneeded right now for my body because it is greatly detoxing as it is, and would interfere with the process of tissue degeneration and regeneration. I also have to drink a lot more water than usual and drink pure cranberry juice because it helps to remove excess urea. It also removes other waste products. It's not safe normally, but I'm doing this under controlled circumstances and this isn't a normal situation, but I feel quite amazing. I wouldn't reccomend it for others but it's good if you are going through a lot of organ changes or cellular changes on a DNA level, which is typically rare right now, if any of that makes sense.
I haven't been able to eat even half that amount though. I also couldn't afford to eat 5 pounds of meat a day. In a typical day the amount of meat I eat is about a half a raw salmon, and maybe two 16 ounce raw steaks, and I'm pretty sure even that's more than most people eat in regards to meat, but I also have to eat a lot more food in general than most people as well because of the amount of physical activity I do and also because its just my body type and I have a super fast metabolism.

Offline thunderseed

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: January 09, 2014, 10:51:02 am »
Maybe you need to diversify your proteins, start eating more offal, seafood, and raw dairy/cheese, eggs, bone broths and even consider gelatin and glucosamine/chondroitin supplements, unless you can get a hold of plenty of gristle or fish carcasses.  This will give your body plenty of different types to choose from and can help aid healing.
Yeah, I've definitely been starting to experiment with bones and gelatins, it's pretty fun but I haven't been eating as much as I should of those and I think those have very critical nutrients that I need right now. I eat tons of seafood. I love cheese and dairy foods, I couldn't digest pure milk for the longest time but after I started taking probiotics for a year I can now. The only downside is I can't find raw milk or raw cheese around here, which I would love to find because I was raised on it, but ever since they outlawed it, it's impossible to find now and my dad who is a farmer, refuses to go steal some for me haha. Well I live on vancouver island in Courtenay, so if anyone knows where to find raw milk around here, let me know!

Offline RomanK

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: January 10, 2014, 05:07:23 am »
Actually, in Ontario one can buy raw milk from the farm for "cat" :). U could have "several rawfoodiest cats", right? Thus you need raw milk for them...

Offline Pammie

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: April 07, 2014, 04:18:10 am »
Today I worked outside raking and moving heavy branches for about 2 hours.  I consider that to be my workout.

Offline rigato

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: May 16, 2014, 10:45:49 pm »
I do BTLS every day

Offline cynthiacharles

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: June 30, 2014, 08:08:54 pm »
I used to follow a balanced workout routine daily,30 pushups,20 setups,15 minutes aerobics and to some extent weight lifting.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk