Author Topic: need help on my raw diet  (Read 7515 times)

Metallica

need help on my raw diet
« on: July 31, 2008, 06:54:51 am »
ok im going to reattempt todo a 100% raw food diet... i need some help on what to eat

first i cant eat to many eggs, only about 2 raw egg yolks a day and I CANT EAT RAW MEAT, i just cant mentally get passed it, i usually steam it..

what can i eat?

also is it worth to eat 100% raw diet with no meat or is it best todo as much raw food as possible but eat some cooked meat?

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: need help on my raw diet
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 08:11:23 am »
Have you tried the recommendations in the Beginner's Guide to RAFD or whatever it's called?
You know, like cooking your meat less and less over time to get used to it?

If you truly can't do raw meat, it's my belief that lightly cooked meat is better than no meat at all.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 08:34:16 am »
Meat is the staple of the raw paleo diet. You might as well say that you want to be a teacher but cannot ever force yourself to read a page of a book.

You could certainly try a raw vegetarian diet. Do you include fish as meat? Maybe you would like raw fish, sashimi at Japanese restaurants is palatable to most "normal" people that wouldn't want to eat raw meat. There tons of raw vegetarian and raw vegan sites out there. And finally you could do everything raw except meat which you could cook, which would be some kind of cooked/raw paleo combo.

xylothrill

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 09:30:26 am »
It's here: http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/general-discussion/sticky-advice-for-newbies-wishing-to-slowly-ease-into-a-raw-animal-food-diet/

Yes, you could try sashimi, oysters, since most people are already accostomed to eating them raw. I can't eat chicken so I know what you mean. I'm just happy it's the only thing I really can't get myself to eat raw.

Craig

Offline avalon

• Forum Clown
  • Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 09:32:51 am »
Trust me, the word CAN'T, isn't a permanent thing. You might get past it, one day- then go Vegan for ethical reasons  ;D You never know. Check out the Wai book.

http://www.freeacnebook.com/

It started as an acne cure but has become much more. Either way it's a good read. Raw Fish, raw yolks, nuts and veggies kind of thing with lots of instructions.

Best wishes,
Avalon

Satya

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 10:38:30 am »
Trust me, the word CAN'T, isn't a permanent thing.

Excellent suggestion.  Just go for rare meat if you can, more lightly cooked over time.  Every journey you choose to take begins with a first step.  Metallica, obviously you have chosen the first step by joining us.  Not everyone will eventually go all raw; meat, veg and/or fruit.  Your choices DO seem to fit the Wai diet, like Avalon has recommended.  To each his/her own.  And feel free to continue to question raw foods in general.  Education should be continued throughout the course of life, afaiac.

Offline akaikumo

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 05:15:43 pm »
I was hoping to do a cold-turkey attempt at getting used to raw meat, but I'm not sure it'll work that way.

You could try
A. cut it into such small pieces you can swallow whole without even tasting it (I haven't tried this yet, so it's just speculation that it might help) or
B. the lowering the temperature method.

The uncooked fat is so important health wise, that I really think it's worth it, even if it takes you a year or five.

Say you lower the cooking temperature 5 degrees every week (relative to what you're cooking) or the time you steam it (good idea steaming it btw--I might try that while I'm still transitioning). It'll take a long time before you eat it raw, but you'll get there.

While you're working on that you can eat raw paleo vegetables, raw nuts and fruit, and you can eat the eggs when you feel like it.

I'm, personally, keeping my diet high in meat and very low in other calorie sources (vegetables/nuts/eggs/fruit), despite not being anywhere near fully raw and not being sure when I'll be raw (could be a month from now--could be two years).

I'm doing this, because I want to get my body used to burning something besides carbs, I want to cut the addiction I have to carbs/sugar, and I think that paleo humans probably ate mostly meat and ate the rogue fruit, nut, or egg they found.

I also feel seem to feel better eating almost exclusively meat, even though it's cooked.

Just my thoughts.
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. - Anais Nin

xylothrill

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 05:08:26 am »

You could try
A. cut it into such small pieces you can swallow whole without even tasting it (I haven't tried this yet, so it's just speculation that it might help) or

I found that to be very effective when I first started eating raw liver. Chewing it would make me gag. My taste has changed since and I'm not put off by the flavor at all any more.

Craig
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 05:45:56 am by Craig »

Metallica

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 05:24:50 am »
what you think of my supplement protocol

Mercolas MultiVitamin
Dr. Rons X-Factor BUtter oil
Dr. Rons Organ Delight
VitalChoice Sockeye salmon Oil
MSM

(also my girlfriend will be getting this during her pregnancy )

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 05:55:30 am »
I came from Wai Diet too.  Helped me transition to more meats to widen my horizon.

I'm not so keen on pregnant women suddenly changing their diets.  I feel if a woman wants to change her diet and lifestyle it must be prior to pregnancy, while she is not pregnant.  Maybe your pregnant girlfriend can do gradual improvements.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 05:06:58 am »
I'm not so keen on pregnant women suddenly changing their diets.  I feel if a woman wants to change her diet and lifestyle it must be prior to pregnancy, while she is not pregnant.  Maybe your pregnant girlfriend can do gradual improvements.

I've heard of this too. Do you believe that an abrupt change might cause a detoxification that would be more damaging to the baby than the poor diet?

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 06:50:23 am »
I've heard of this too. Do you believe that an abrupt change might cause a detoxification that would be more damaging to the baby than the poor diet?

Yes, exactly.  A pregnant woman should improve her diet, but make it gradual because her body has already adjusted accordingly to her situation.

Note that the 1st 3 months are the hardest.  Those 1st 3 months are detox months for most women, cleaning up, preparing her body for the baby.  Puking, avoiding smells, avoiding certain foods, craving certain foods.  When your pregnant woman craves a food, you had better give it because her body instinctively needs something from that food to build the baby.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

xylothrill

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 08:47:14 am »
Yes, exactly.  A pregnant woman should improve her diet, but make it gradual because her body has already adjusted accordingly to her situation.

Note that the 1st 3 months are the hardest.  Those 1st 3 months are detox months for most women, cleaning up, preparing her body for the baby.  Puking, avoiding smells, avoiding certain foods, craving certain foods.  When your pregnant woman craves a food, you had better give it because her body instinctively needs something from that food to build the baby.

How does one discern what a craving means when they are only used to eating cooked, nonPaleo foods? For instance, if a pregnant woman is craving chocolate, should she eat the chocolate or is there something in the chocolate that her body needs and how do we find out what it is? Then, should she still consume the chocolate or an alternative with the same nutrient that the chocolate might offer?

The reason I ask is because it took a long time for me to learn to listen to my body. As a SAD eater, I was always craving the addictive foods and could never get enough. Now, I believe I've had a revelation that I've been craving clay simply because I initially bought it for detox purposes but continued to think about having some every 2 - 4 days or so, even though I'd lost interest in it as a detox aid. (It gave me no detox symptoms so I didn't think it really worked.) The same is true re thinking about organs or red meat and fat.

Edwin, if I get those itchy patches on my arm again, would putting some moist clay on it help extract any toxins?

Getting back on track, I also don't believe in abruptly changing a pregnant woman's diet. Even heroin addicts are put on methadone, monitored, and gradually cut back so they don't go into shock and suffer a miscarriage. 

Craig

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2008, 09:02:34 am »
Yes, the stereotypical "pregnant craving" is ice cream and pickles...
definitely don't think they should give into that particular craving.
Well, the pickles are fine but definitely not the ice cream  :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk