Author Topic: Hey Guys! Looking to try some raw meat... have a few questions.  (Read 12672 times)

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Hey Guys! Looking to try some raw meat... have a few questions.
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2010, 11:36:25 pm »
It wouldnt be a bad idea to get checked out from a doctor as well. Just dont tell them youve been eating raw food. Doctors contradict eachother all the time, some think raw food is great, others are still brainwashed. Get blood tests done for thyroid if you still have appetite and uncontrollable weight loss. If all is fine, just try to relax, we all go through times in our life where we gain and lose weight or have small or large appetites. Also, you said you were doing fine on the diet till july 4th when you started having problems. That was not that long ago at all. It is ok to get sick sometimes. Read Aajonus's books. After reading his and some others I am no longer afraid of getting sick as long as I am on a raw diet. Sickness should be welcomed, it is the body trying to rid itself of what it does not need. Fevers are good and actually speed up recovery. It has not been that long yet man, see what happens by next week.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

"There is a lot of pressure to be sexualized but not to actually be sexual."
- women's health member

Offline B.Money

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2010, 01:08:38 am »
Alright I will hang in there and update you guys in a little while. Like I said I will try some eggs today and if I can stand it I can drink a bunch of those through the day to get some calories in. Seems like if I eat little--I get a little appetite, if I eat big--I have a big appetite.

Offline B.Money

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2010, 01:18:32 am »
Just as an update, since I will have no internet for the next couple days, I have been feeling much better. Maybe it was a bad egg or too many eggs or a detox...who knows. Anyway I am deciding to give raw milk and butter a try just to see if it can agree with me and keep my calories up, started yesterday along with live oysters--man those things are good! Had them for the first time yesterday and I am going to get those bad boys all the time now from wholefoods.

Anyway I will be back in a couple days, hope my digestion and everything holds up!

edit: down to 171 morning weight thus far--maybe slightly leaner??

oh, I will also add I decided to try some chips and salsa while out on vacation with the family, ended up with me running to the bathroom 45 min later and having a messed up stomach for the rest of the night. Wont be doing that again.

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2010, 12:09:34 pm »

oh, I will also add I decided to try some chips and salsa while out on vacation with the family, ended up with me running to the bathroom 45 min later and having a messed up stomach for the rest of the night. Wont be doing that again.

lol, yeah we're not perfect and should be social from time to time. I myself am not going to decline a date because of my diet and will surely eat a shit meal for 1 night. In my opinion, as long as your in the range of say 95% RPD or Primal diet you're good.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

- women's health member

Offline B.Money

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2010, 04:51:10 am »
Just to update for anyone that cares, still eating RP, still powerlifting.

I went from 190 on a cooked meat& starch diet, to 160lbs. Lost a lot of fat and unfortunately strength. I look much leaner now, feel much better, digestion is good for the most part.

Currently eating 2lbs of meat a day from beef and fish, and just lately have added a LOT of fruit. I just need the cheap, easy to digest calories to get where I want to go strength wise. If I could afford more quality meats/fats I would, but it seems like 2lbs of meat plus eating a lot of fruit is helping me get strong.

Lifts at 190 were something like

Deadlift-455 (easy, belted)
Bench- 320 (touch and go, no pause)
Squat-370 wide stance

Now at 160 I am looking at
Deadlift 405+ (easy 405, no belt)
Bench roughly 300 (225x10 last workout, last time put me at 305-310)
Squat-Don't really know since I have been changing form a lot lately and its been lagging.

So I lost a lot of strength, a lot of this came from a decent amount of time off of training, and of course the weight loss.

Oh I also developed a problem with eggs (which was a great source of calories) and now I think I also have issues with avocados....2 super dense calorie foods..oh well.

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2010, 05:56:29 am »
Actually, judging on how much weight you lost, you did not lose that much strength. Its actually better to be lighter and stronger, it makes your body function better. Besides powerlifting is all about weight classes. Those lifts at 190lbs were strong but not as good as what your lifting now at 160 lbs. Now you would actually put up a good fight in real powerlifting contests. My friend used to powerlift at 160 and won the state title for deadlift at 544lbs. Your not too far from that. Could take you a couple years to get there but be patient.

Also, when you say you have problems with avacados and eggs, what exactly is wrong?

Just if your curious, here's my story:
I was 200lbs, then went on cooked paleo, dropped to 160lb of lean muscle, but still felt like shit. Then I went raw and have actually gained to 175 lean. 2 lbs of meat is plenty enough to gain weight, just make sure you're taking in some fat too. Fruit is good, but you dont have to go too crazy with it. The meat and fat is what put the weight and strength on me. I am not a powerlifter, I mainly do bodyweight stuff, but have definately noticed more strength.

However, its all really about how strong you feel. Do you feel good? Is your mental clarity and focus better now on raw. These signs will tell you that you are on your way to your goals. Believe me it does take time to see major results on this diet, but then, anything worth doing takes time.

- women's health member

Offline B.Money

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2010, 11:54:13 am »
Yeah the weight loss didn't really effect me as bad as I thought, just sometimes find it a bummer struggling with weights I could have easily gotten for 10 reps awhile ago haha. That's cool to hear about your friend, does he still compete?

With eggs and avacados I just get diarrhea and stomach is upset when I eat them now in any amounts it seems--took them out and everything settled.

I was curious on stories of cooked paleos vs raw paleos. Interesting experience, is there anywhere I can read your story in more detail?

I feel pretty good, but then again I have never felt bad even on SAD type diets (although I do think focus has improved)--biggest improvements I have noticed have been clearer skin, cleaner teeth, and the main one being consistent digestion.

I have been having really low drive in the gym lately though, very hard to get fired up even in great environments, but that could be totally unrelated. Just seems as if I am much less competitive lately-and I want to get that fire back that I used to have, sometimes I wonder if its an underlying problem of some sort.

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2010, 01:12:32 am »
MY friend does still compete, hes a natural deadlifter, short with long arms.

I'll give you a more detailed version of my story:
I was into bodybuilding and would do anything to get big and strong (except steroids). I took so many supplements and even did the gallon of milk a day challenge. Doing that I gained 20lbs in a month. I was chunky at 200lbs at the end of that month. My weight stabilized at 200 for a few months, and after that I got fed up with the extra weight. At the time I was a personal trainer and the people I worked with were all crossfitters into the paleo diet. I got on the bandwagon and in a matter of 3 months went down to 160. I did lose a lot of strength, but what I lost in barbell and dumbell, I gained in bodyweight exercises. I began to transition from bodybuilding to martial arts and functional bodyweight strength training. I went from doing 10 full pullups with 45lbs to 10 full strict pull ups with 80lbs. That proves that my pullup strength increased even while I lost the 40 lbs. I was thrilled with the new strength I had with body weight stuff like dips, pullups, and rope climbing, I just didnt care about bench any more. I still love squats and deads though. I pretty much stick to these exercises now:
Martial arts
rope climbing
pull ups and chin ups
deadlifts
squats
dips

They give me all the strength and size I need. I also began to study biodynamics and found that dips and pullups are the most functional upper body exercises. Chin ups work over 70% of the upper body muscles if done correctly! Anyway, back to the food. Even though I lost weight and loved my new look, something was missing. I was always lethargic and had insomnia every day for years, which also caused me to have low testosterone. Some how my strength and muscle gains continued even though my T was low, interesting. While doing my new cooked paleo diet, I attained a passion for nutrition and realized that orthodox nutrition and medicine were totally wrong. The challenge of proving myths wrong in nutrition became my new thing. I did my research and made speeches in my school and at nutrition clinics about how the cholesterol theory is bullshit and cholesterol is not bad. Anyway, I saw the ripley's believe it or not about Aajonus and was intrigued. That was the first time I ever even thought about raw food. I began searching the net and realized that many people were successful with this diet. I followed gurus such as daniel vitalis and Nicholas gonzales (an doctor who uses raw food) I read books like Nutrition and Physical Degeneration, and Pottengers Cats, and Aajonus's books We Want to Live and Recipe for living without disease.

So I started this diet 5 months ago and can tell you I have felt a whole lot better. Sleep normalized. I fall asleep right away and wake up refreshed. I am rarely fatigued, unless I dont eat enough or go to bed late. I got blood tests and my testosterone increased and for the first time in my life I am now growing a good amount of chest hair. I wanted to gain weight and so I ate 2lbs of meat a day and a lot of suet plus raw milk and vegetables. I now get a lot of attention from the ladies, but only a little more than when I was on cooked paleo. I finally figured out that women like tone and lean men the most. I didnt get any turning heads when I was 200lbs, but now since I lost the gut and have abs I get plenty. I am now roughly 170 to 175 at 5'10" and hope to get up to 180 and maintain that weight. How do I feel now? well, lets just say I still have a bit to go to feel optimal, but I am on the right track now. Almost all of my issues have cleared up. Tyler said he always had a stuffed up nose until he stopped drinking all milk. I have the same issue so I stopped it a few days ago. The issue is a serious one because if you cant breath right, you cant function right. Well theres my story, you asked for more detail so thats what I did. Good luck with your eating, stick to it.

- women's health member

Offline B.Money

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2010, 01:31:47 am »
Very cool to hear life on your end, I appreciate that! Sounds very similar to mine actually lol. Let me/us know how you do without milk, it was tough for me to take it out, but I do feel better without it I think.

When you say you eat vegetables, do you juice or eat them whole?

btw 10 pullups with +80lbs is niiiiice! Very impressive.

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2010, 10:34:40 am »
Thanks a lot man. I actually hate raw veggies, I only juice them.

- women's health member

Offline B.Money

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2010, 10:17:31 am »
No prob, do you hate veggies because of taste preference, or do they not agree with you?

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2010, 11:10:31 am »
I hate raw veggies just cause of taste preference. Thats the only reason. Also, I would never be able to consume the amount I do unless I do shakes.

- women's health member

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk