Author Topic: The Wodg Journal  (Read 99960 times)

coconinoz

extreme exercise: what for?
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2008, 02:21:33 am »

overly intense, extreme, excessively lengthy, or non-paleo (bodybuilding etc.) exercise/sports are supposed to be a help for life; not a reason for life

« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 02:35:07 am by coconinoz »

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew's Journal
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2008, 06:42:17 pm »
I'm working away at the moment but I've been using the kids play equipment for doing pull ups, Dips and raised push ups. I'm in the tropics and there's a beach over the road so I've been doing swim/runs as well as I'm doing a triathlon in March. I've had a lot of people tell me I look fit ;)

Found a butcher 100 metres from the apartments selling ground beef for US$3kg it's a bit lean but does the trick. I've been eating bleu steaks as we have BBQ's and go out a fair bit.

“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline feral

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2008, 01:52:37 pm »
How goes the training?  In another thread you mentioned that you would try carb loading before your next race... is the zero-carb thing not working out?  I know earlier in your journal you mentioned cutting out carbs helped you put on muscle, do you think it is now holding you back?

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2008, 03:34:53 pm »
hey, training goes good. Resting heart rate measured 51 bpm the other day down from 66 bpm when i first started training. When i first started zero carb i got more cut. I went back to carbs because of the amount of traveling i do, its almost impossible to be zero carb on the road. I havent raced with carbs yet and still prefer zero carb. I think zero carb can hold serious athletes back but im not serious.

Albert Camus

Offline feral

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2008, 04:07:15 pm »
Thanks for the response, that heart rate is impressive.  I've generally had a quite high resting heart rate, even when I was in relatively good shape, and am hoping an improvement in that area will be another positive side effect of this diet.  That, and getting off my ass and out the door on a regular basis once more :P.

Satya

« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2009, 10:47:07 pm »
hey, training goes good. Resting heart rate measured 51 bpm the other day down from 66 bpm when i first started training. When i first started zero carb i got more cut. I went back to carbs because of the amount of traveling i do, its almost impossible to be zero carb on the road. I havent raced with carbs yet and still prefer zero carb. I think zero carb can hold serious athletes back but im not serious.

Hi Andrew,

What is your training consisting of now?  Will you be competing anytime soon?

It's winter here and I am doing more strength training and yoga in addition to my regular martial arts training.  When it's warmer, I do more cardio and less strength work.  I am eating much less plant food this winter than I ever have.  And I am craving seafood.

It would be great to know your specifics if and when you have time to share.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2009, 08:51:22 pm »
Hi Andrew,

What is your training consisting of now?  Will you be competing anytime soon?

It's winter here and I am doing more strength training and yoga in addition to my regular martial arts training.  When it's warmer, I do more cardio and less strength work.  I am eating much less plant food this winter than I ever have.  And I am craving seafood.

It would be great to know your specifics if and when you have time to share.

Hey your back! good to seeya! still raw paleo?

Exercising once again and zero carb raw paleo again after  going completely loose over christmas/new years really really unpaleo and I paid the price!  >D I'm glad to be back  though :) and I would really like to ripped in 2009.

Not much to report much training wise.  Did a race back on November zero carb. I've got a few races coming up kayaking in our autumn and 3 adventure races this winter.

I haven't had seafood in so long, maybe 6 months but probably longer than that but I'm craving pickles as well as eggs two foods which I used to hate!

Albert Camus

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2009, 09:19:09 pm »
Oh my gosh, no sea food for 6 months?
I'm scared at the thought.
Are there advantages to shunning sea food?
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2009, 09:54:23 pm »
 theres hardly any fat and it goes off quick. Shunning seafood saves me time and hunger.

Albert Camus

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2009, 10:10:32 pm »
theres hardly any fat and it goes off quick. Shunning seafood saves me time and hunger.

Sounds good.  May be worth a try if I can get enough land animal variety.
What land animals and parts of land animals are you consuming regularly?
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Satya

« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2009, 11:52:48 pm »
Hey your back! good to seeya! still raw paleo?

Exercising once again and zero carb raw paleo again after  going completely loose over christmas/new years really really unpaleo and I paid the price!  >D I'm glad to be back  though :) and I would really like to ripped in 2009.

Not much to report much training wise.  Did a race back on November zero carb. I've got a few races coming up kayaking in our autumn and 3 adventure races this winter.

I haven't had seafood in so long, maybe 6 months but probably longer than that but I'm craving pickles as well as eggs two foods which I used to hate!

Thanks.  I am still paleo with about half of my foods raw.  It is what works in my situation presently.  I do benefit from raw beef and lamb, but also from fish.  It does tend to be lean, but if you eat marrow fat or whatever else, all is well.  But I will be the first to admit that each of us must find what works for our health, tastes, etc.  Certain cravings should be heeded, in my book.  I can tell the difference between the addictive type cravings and the "my body needs this" type.  But then, that is just me.

I do feel stronger eating less plant foods, and this winter, I am eating more seaweed than most other plants, fruits and nuts.  It's dried and doesn't spoil.  I think I need more iodine or something.  I want a bit of seafood daily now.  But it's the raw beef and lamb that improve my sleep.  Not that I have sleep problems, but as I have mentioned in the past, my sleep is greatly improved with raw meat.  Not so with sashimi.

I was pretty good around the holidays, but I haven't been sweating much lately.  Luckily, the weather here is highly variable, and sooner or later I can always hit the trail for a jog when it's warmer.  It's 27° F (-3° C) here now.  But I still feel kind of cooped up lately.  Oh well, winter is pretty short here.

Get ripped and show us the evidence!

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2009, 12:58:42 am »
I think zero carb can hold serious athletes back.
Do you really think thats true?.... What about very low carb?

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2009, 07:48:53 am »

Depends on the sport, I think sports like gymnastics where the routines last only a minute or so zero carb would be totally fine I just think sports in which you are in the anerobic threshold for over for say a 2+hour race whould require intake of carbs (eg watered down sports drink) during the race as to not hit the wall

Martial arts I think you might be able to compete zero carb or VLC. Zero carb/zero salt would help you be stronger,denser, leaner with less fat and won't be bloated with water. Carbs and salt seem to bloat.

Plant foods are probably where you get your carbs from and most of these contain nasties (eg fiber/salicylates/phenols) which stress the body compared to just raw meat and fat so I think performance will increase.

Albert Camus

Satya

« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2009, 02:48:29 am »

Plant foods are probably where you get your carbs from and most of these contain nasties (eg fiber/salicylates/phenols) which stress the body compared to just raw meat and fat so I think performance will increase.

Many plants contain goitrogens too.  You know, I am wondering if seaweed is not the best choice of plant to eat, seeing how we are land animals.  Seaweeds don't seem to be as problematic for people ... or are they?  Land plants have developed these toxic properties for which we are susceptible.  But what about seaweed? 

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2009, 05:27:24 am »
Many plants contain goitrogens too.  You know, I am wondering if seaweed is not the best choice of plant to eat, seeing how we are land animals.  Seaweeds don't seem to be as problematic for people ... or are they?  Land plants have developed these toxic properties for which we are susceptible.  But what about seaweed? 
Plants cant run away from predators so must have some defence mechanism to stop being eaten. Cant see why seaweed would be any different. Could just feed seaweed to cattle and eat them. Make the cattle do the work.

Albert Camus

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2009, 10:34:38 pm »
I just don't buy into the whole idea re plants being a deadly poison. There's along tradition of herbalism, going way back into the Palaeolithic, and I'm sure that raw cavemen of those days were quite healthy. The so-called toxins in plants can actually have a beneficial effect, if eaten in small amounts(re topic of "phytonutrients") - it's only if you eat vast amounts of solid, raw veg, or if you juice veggies, that it becomes a problem.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2009, 12:04:02 am »
Geoff, explain whats so good about photonutrients? I dont buy it, whats in plants which isnt in organs/fats/meats.

Albert Camus

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2009, 12:29:50 am »
Geoff, explain whats so good about photonutrients? I dont buy it, whats in plants which isnt in organs/fats/meats.

Phytonutrients have been shown to have anti-inflammatory benefits which helps against aging. But my point was that some herbs have substances, which are quite poisonous if eaten in large amounts, but which help human health if eaten in small doses(eg:- ginseng/willow bark etc.). I agree that overindulgin ing plnats is bad for health, but the herbal substances I mentioned aren't found in animal meats/organs.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline igibike

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2009, 01:30:19 am »

So did you come to agree with me, Andrew ?

I just don't buy into the whole idea re plants being a deadly poison. There's along tradition of herbalism, going way back into the Palaeolithic, and I'm sure that raw cavemen of those days were quite healthy. The so-called toxins in plants can actually have a beneficial effect, if eaten in small amounts(re topic of "phytonutrients") - it's only if you eat vast amounts of solid, raw veg, or if you juice veggies, that it becomes a problem.

Geoff, do you think juicing is not good because the easyness of taking too much toxins ?
Bye bye

Luigi

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2009, 05:46:16 am »

Geoff, do you think juicing is not good because the easyness of taking too much toxins ?

When I tried veggie-juice I just got diarrhea as my body doesn't seem to properly absorb vegetable-juices at all(though solid veg isn't a problem). But others who've tried veggie-juice for long periods have noted all sorts of health-problems which they say is  tied to the fact that juicing veg not only releases the trapped nutrients within the cellulose but the antinutrients as well. If you eat solid, raw veg it's very difficult indeed to take in as many antinutrients as raw solid veg is very bland in taste and not as concentrated as the veggie-juice.

At any rate, it wouldn't be a good idea to  make veggie-juice a regular item. esides, it tastes so bad that one usually has to add sweeteners to it like raw honey, raw cream etc. to enhance the taste.
" Ron Paul.

Offline DameonWolf

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2009, 09:03:43 am »
Is it wrong that I absolutely love celery and broccoli juice? I love the taste. I find the juice helps my cognitive abilities quite a bit too.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2009, 03:08:19 am »
    I like the taste of celery juice, but what you say in the quote makes sense, as the juice sounds like a semiprocessed drug.

absorb vegetable-juices at all(though solid veg isn't a problem). But others who've tried veggie-juice for long periods have noted all sorts of health-problems which they say is  tied to the fact that juicing veg not only releases the trapped nutrients within the cellulose but the antinutrients as well. If you eat solid, raw veg it's very difficult indeed to take in as many antinutrients as raw solid veg is very bland in taste and not as concentrated as the veggie-juice.

At any rate, it wouldn't be a good idea to  make veggie-juice a regular
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Satya

« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2009, 06:58:23 am »
Is it wrong that I absolutely love celery and broccoli juice? I love the taste. I find the juice helps my cognitive abilities quite a bit too.

The placebo effect is alive and well. 

Broccoli is really bad news for your thyroid, as it is highly goitrogenic.  And if you are juicing it regularly, then that is very bad news indeed.  Celery contains carcinogens, and so I would be careful drinking juice from it.  I mean, come on, 1) juice like this requires modern technology with an electric motor (whereas we can all dry jerky in the sun), and 2) you will concentrate these toxins as you remove the fiber.  You could not consume nearly as much as real food.  And 3), I crack up reading about vegetable juice as part of an Andrew's journal entry!  Ha ha!

Offline DameonWolf

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2009, 09:55:18 am »
Correction I can eat that much celery and I do if I feel like it. Placebo? Umm, I really don't buy that I did a lot of drugs when I was younger and I got sold a lot of fake pills and stuff like that. I know what placebo is like, what ever the green juices do for me it ain't placebo. Doesn't mean it's good. Can some one provide me with these studies?

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2009, 12:59:43 am »

Dameon,
Nothing is specifically right or wrong.  However there are consequences for every choice you make.  Some consequences are immediate and others manifest themselves over time.  Some you will like, others not so much.  Only you can decide if what you are doing produces the results you want.  As long as the choices you make do not affect me or others, what I or anyone else thinks about them is irrelevant.

Lex
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 01:09:35 am by lex_rooker »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk