Author Topic: No Impact Man  (Read 3289 times)

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
No Impact Man
« on: May 30, 2010, 12:15:16 am »
Just watched a DVD on the No Impact Man, a NY resident writer who with his wife and child spent a year reducing their carbon footprint. Interesting, although the thing that I would find interesting is that if he was into raw paleo his footprint (energywise) would have been even less. However I realize that eating meat brings up the footprint as meat tends to more eco-unfrioendly.

Any thoughts?
Cheers
Al

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: No Impact Man
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 12:40:36 am »
well, I think some would vehemently argue about that last point.

I used to follow No Impact Man, great stuff. Since he gets almost all his things from NYC farmers markets, my guess is his personal footprint would be more or less the same, other than the growing/processing of the bread and cheese and other things he eats. So I'd assume it to be less replacing with raw paleo foods, especially for people living outside cities and hunting etc... There might also be inventive uses for animal fats and stuff as far as soaps or heating oil and the like.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 01:07:03 am »
What I meant about the eating meat being eco-unfriendly in the sense that it takes around 10 to 15 parts plant protein to make 1 part animal protein.

I realize this could be argued till the cows come home  :D but....

Although I was a vege for many moons I am not so sure it is a good idea now. The jury is out.

I agree with the guy and indeed we have done our own reducing (Long ago) by using a drying rack instead of the dryer, avoiding the A/C as much as possible and a host of little things.
Cheers
Al

Offline mark

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 03:28:39 pm »
Ive met longtime vegan monks in Korea and they ate 100% of what they grew. I think if you grow 100% of your own food then it can be sustainable. Lots of amazon tribes get their protein from insects, roaches, spiders and the like. That sounds pretty eco.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 06:10:31 pm »
Ive met longtime vegan monks in Korea and they ate 100% of what they grew.

Yeah sure you met a vegan monk in Korea. LOL.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 09:16:52 pm »
I think it's funny how white people seem to think that Asian's are more spiritual or something.

Or the fact they're a monk means that they're extra special and what they do or think deserves more respect/attention than what a drunk has to say in a pub in the suburbs.

Vegan's and greenie hypocrites seem to be particularly prone to this shit ;D

“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk