Author Topic: The day of judgement is upon me ...  (Read 6328 times)

Offline OnyxPoet

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
The day of judgement is upon me ...
« on: June 26, 2010, 09:44:35 am »
Well ... I just got back from the meat market, and uhhh ... well i bought some pork top sirloins for cheap, Some beef liver, some Bone marrow bones very thick in marrow, some Boneless chicken thighs and breasts, Beef Shanks with the marrow filled bone intact, Some Fresh Eggs, And some pork back fat which is cured so not perfect but i'm not stressing over it as i'm already gonna be doing better than I was and the back fat is mainly just a garnish.

So ... i stored everything, froze half, refrigerated half ... uhhh ... well, gonna have Beef Shank tonight, going to Blue Rare it since its not grass fed, and then uhh ... eat it. Scared as all hell right now. Um ... about the marrow bones, do i fridge those and follow the sell by date? Or is it ok to freeze em cuz if i cant freeze em i have to eat them within 4 days.

Also how do i eat the stuff, I mean ... i cant very well Blue rare it ... right?

Edit: now i am reading that beef shank is not tender even if cooked, unless slow roasted for like 8 hours. In that case can i even eat it Raw or blue rared or would it be too tough for me?
I didn't really have a manual when i went out and the only beef I've ever eaten in my entire life, besides maybe 3 steaks and some liver as a kid, has been ground. Therefore I'm not so good with the cut choices, but it was cheap and if i can cut it into tiny pieces and swallow it whole I will.

However, my Wife wants her part medium rare or medium since she is not ready for blue rare or raw yet ... but i thought you could use a pan to cook dang near anything so i just figured i could cut it in half, figure out how to eat the marrow, and then blue rare my half while mediuming hers. Is that even friggin Possible with the meat being so tough? Or did i waste 6 dollars on two pounds of beef shank i cant even eat raw?

« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 10:02:39 am by OnyxPoet »
I\'m a hardcore perfectionist about most things, so don\'t be Too shocked if i hit the edit button 50 times :P ...

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: The day of judgement is upon me ...
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 10:02:18 am »
Hey, got your PM, no worries

Remember the best strategy is to always be at most at the 'extreme' of your comfort zone.

As mentioned, starting off with some egg or egg yolk as a snack or possibility with the seared meats with no junk foods sounds to be a reasonable goal for 1 week. Every so often you expand the circle. I'm guessing raw grain-fed liver is going to be way outside the circle for some time. I think its also normal to roast marrow in traditional paleo/primal diets. it gets really greasy that way though and I found that with a goal of high fats, its hard with cooked meat meals for that reason. I probably would not refreze it, but either eat raw it or cook it up, but whatever makes sense to you.

I would hold off on the chicken. I actually ate tons of raw chicken before I ever tried beef, but either way its pretty intense to eat and process. I'll refrain from the D-word but its hard on the body. ditto pork as far as any of the worries from the previous thread.

have fun.

Offline OnyxPoet

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 10:06:07 am »
Lol, so then i guess i will be eating some of this cooked ... i am such a noob lol. I was thinking i could just go buy the meat and come home and eat it Raw or blue rared but if you say its really that different to get used to in terms of texture i might be in for a bad bit of luck lol.

I love things like cooked chitterlings/trips, neck bones and i Love the taste of beef liver. Its so rich and heavy. Do you think i might suck at handling them Raw? And tough muscles like beef shank ... can they even be Eaten Raw?

Went out and spent all our money so lol, hope we can make this work.
I\'m a hardcore perfectionist about most things, so don\'t be Too shocked if i hit the edit button 50 times :P ...

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 10:36:12 am »
well, sheesh you can still eat the stuff, I mean, you manged to figure out how to eat food last week. you did fine with your selections. Maybe not for eating all raw, but that wasn't really your plan anyway.

All the muscle meats you can eat raw (granted there was already the talk about the preference being grass-fed for nutrition and safety) but some are easier to eat starting out I suppose.

generally liver is an acquired taste, maybe you'll take to it. You can certainly try it. I don't think any of this stuff would kill you, but you do, so those are my best tips. I think likely if you eat the chicken you will shit your brains out is basically what I was trying to say.

Offline OnyxPoet

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 10:38:49 am »
WoW ... that was quite an image ... shitting my brains out would be Very painful. Uh, might i ask why chicken is a tad different? I mean i thought the whole point was that if its raw and enzymes are intact, it is easy digestion.

So like ... why would i poop like a mad man and lose my brains? I guess the meats are different, and its a matter of me finding out what works for me and what doesnt i suppose. So yeah, I'll try it, and if I DO get wet, creamy, bubbly poo ... I wont freak out ... i'll just let it pass.

Edit: Man, of all the cool people i've met on this Forum, I wish Paleo Donk would post in my thread, I wanna meet ALL the awesome people! The ones i have met so far are amazing, but with a name like Paleo Donk ... ya just GOTTA grace my thread every Now and then eh?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 10:44:07 am by OnyxPoet »

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 10:45:20 am »
WoW ... Uh, might i ask why chicken is a tad different? I mean i thought the whole point was that if its raw and enzymes are intact, it is easy digestion.

So like ... why would i poop like a mad man and lose my brains? I guess the meats are different, and its a matter of me finding out what works for me and what doesnt i suppose... I wont freak out ... i'll just let it pass.

Raw chicken never did that too me, it sits fine with me, just perfect.  Raw eggs ... just gets it all out.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline OnyxPoet

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 10:48:21 am »
Heheh, whichever meat Does end up making my do that I will call a "Cleansing" meat and use it whenever i get sick to terminate the baddies. Not that it quite works that way but uhh ... "D" isnt always a Bad thing :P

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 10:59:34 am »

yeah originally I meant detox, it doubles well as diarrhea in this case.  detox is a highly disputed thing to claim sometimes here. Either way, as long as you are open to various 'consequences' as potentially positive, and you are aware you actually do get salmonella (which are present in our digestive tract) and parasites and such and yes meats are different with their effects, than I guess you don't have as many roadblocks as you implied. but as an important disclaimer. no one can ever vouch that all experiences, especially with grain-fed factory meats, are gong to be 100% positive.

Offline OnyxPoet

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 11:39:19 am »
OH ... MY ... GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was too scared to do it i was too friggin scared and i didnt know ANYTHING about cuts of meat so i decided against the marrow for now and chose to starve. However, while i was researching the website on ways to prepare top sirloin steak ( which is VERY cheap though mines is pork) I found out you can pan fry it Easily.

So i added a bit of pepper and lemon, Got the stove Hot, Popped that biddy in some butter and palm oil and watched the sparks Fly!!! I did it for no more than 60 seconds on each side so as to blue rare it and ... DAMN!
I hope this is not appropriate for the site but let me just say ... THAT SHIT WAS FUCKING TASTY AS HELL!!!!!

It was Juicy, it was soft and tender like an underworked muscle. It was pure bliss! I hummed and dance the whole time i was eating it XD My Goodness it was Freakin AMAZING. My stomach is not hurting either! It hurt when i tried dairy earlier and also when i tried pringles since i hadnt eaten in awhile so ended up wasting almost an entire can after eating about 10 chips lol.

But right now my stomach doesnt hurt and i feel invigorated! This is awesome, i don't have words for it imma just shutup but DAMN, you guys, THANK YOU SO MUCH!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 02:10:13 pm by OnyxPoet »

Offline OnyxPoet

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2010, 02:11:20 pm »
Just bumping so people know i posted in my topic, woulda made a new topic but i figured it would be excessive. Thanks all, and farewell for now :).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk