Raw Paleo Diet Gallery > Display Your Culinary Creations

High-Meat-Recipe Preparation For More Advanced RAFers

(1/55) > >>

TylerDurden:
High-Meat Preparation Notes:-

First get hold of a properly sealable container(eg:- vacuum-jar/sealable plastic box/Bell Jar etc.). Fill half of the box with the raw meats you want to age - make sure to leave 50% of the box unfilled, so as to ensure that there is enough air/oxygen for the bacteria - it's a very bad idea not to leave enough (fresh)air for the bacteria to work on. Then place the high-meat container in the fridge. Make sure to take the container out and air the box outside , at least once every 1 to 3 days for a few minutes, depending on your whim - properly airing the meats outside helps to refresh the air within the box, allowing the bacteria to continue their work, and the more frequently you air it, the faster it ripens - don't air it inside the house as that will stink out the place. Oh, and don't forget to cut up the fresh, raw meats into  mouthful-sized pieces before you start using it for "high-meat" - otherwise, it's a rather messy business to cut it all up once it's reached the "high-meat" stage - though, I suppose, one can wait, instead, until it eventually becomes liquid, where one just needs a spoon.

Generally speaking, if the fridge is not at too cold a setting, and if the high-meat container is aired frequently, then it's usually recommended to wait c.1  month before trying it. I find that I get the beneficial effects from the high-meat within c.2-3 weeks after storing it, usually once the outer surface of the aged ,raw meats has become slimy enough, but with the rest of the meat still being quite solid enough to be picked up by a fork - I generally don't like the texture of "high-meat" once it becomes too liquidy. Though, there are some who prefer aging the "high-meat" for several months.

A few people wish to speed up the process by storing the "high-meat" container outside the fridge in the open air, but this is fraught with difficulty as flies are fiendishly clever at laying their almost unnoticeable eggs around the lid, and these can then so easily drop in. It's been suggested by one member of the group that the container in question should be sealed within two separate black bin-bags so as to deter the flies. Plus, when I left high-meat outside, it seemed more likely to go dry, and dried out high-meat is useless re getting the boosts in mood etc.

(I should also mention that I personally only got the fullest benefit from "high-meat" once I started eating c. two (cubic-inch-sized?)chunks of "high-meat" each day, and that the effects, oddly, seemed to only start being noticed after c.12-24 hours. Obviously, though, everyone is different, in this regard).

"High-meat" can be made from pretty much any raw-animal-food-source. The Eskimoes used to age raw fish in this way, the Chinese would age their raw eggs for decades, the French often age their raw cheeses until they become very stinky etc.. I personally found most "high-meats" versions to be a problem for me(especially any "high-meat"-muscle-meats), with the exception of aged kidney, aged tongue, and especially aged ox/beef heart - I use the latter most of the time, for reasons of taste and convenience. I would strongly recommend that people experiment with a wide variety of "high-meats" before they find the one that is least appalling re taste.

Virtually everyone finds "high-meat" a problem at first, re taste, due to past conditioning. My own solution, at the start, was to cut the meats up into very tiny slivers  so that I could just swallow them very quickly without having to endure the taste for long. I'd then follow up each mouthful with a big gulp of alkaline (spring) mineral-water in order to blot out the after-taste. Naturally, over a certain length of time, I got used to the taste and no longer need to cut up the meat into such tiny slices or chase each piece with water, and, nowadays, I even relish the rather acidic taste of some kinds of "high-meat", viewing it as a useful alternative to smelly raw cheeses(I happen to be allergic to raw dairy).

Naturally, there are always going to be some  who feel they won't ever be able to get used to such fare, so I would strongly recommend that such people buy "EM" products, instead, or, (powerful) probiotic supplements. "EM" stands for effective microorganisms. However, I'm sceptical re the efficacy of the latter two, by comparison to "high-meat", and view them as substitutes only - besides, "EM" products are rather expensive and difficult to prepare, whereas "high-meat" is relatively easy to make.

The benefits of the extra bacteria from "high-meat" include better digestion, and increased concentration, energy-levels and improvement in mood. Here's a standard news-report re a study describing  how  bacteria help improve one's mood:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1547346/Getting-dirty-could-prevent-depression.html

boxcarguy07:
Now here's a question...
is there a distinct advantage to high meat over other fermented foods such as pickles, sauerkraut, etc.? (providing they are unheated and one is not on an all-meat diet)

I've just started eating sauerkraut and pickles as they are supposed to contain live enzymes and beneficial probiotics, and I'm wondering if high meat is truly superior

Satya:
Thanks, Tyler.  How about a picture of some high meat?

Keith, pickles are anaerobic lactofermented foods, high meat is an aerobic fermentation.  You are supposed to get air to the meat (Tyler would know more on the particulars, as I have not tried high meat yet).  So different bacteria are involved (and that is the extent of my knowledge on the subject).  And believe me, there ain't much info out there on high meat, so the more input we have from our rpd community, the better!

boxcarguy07:
You're sure right about there not being that much info!

I've tried searching quite a few times, and I always find message boards talking about some show where they showed people eating raw meat and high meat and everyone is just talking about how disgusting and unsanitary and unhealthy it is  :D

But no real info  :'(

TylerDurden:

--- Quote from: boxcarguy07 on August 06, 2008, 10:40:02 pm ---Now here's a question...
is there a distinct advantage to high meat over other fermented foods such as pickles, sauerkraut, etc.? (providing they are unheated and one is not on an all-meat diet)

I've just started eating sauerkraut and pickles as they are supposed to contain live enzymes and beneficial probiotics, and I'm wondering if high meat is truly superior

--- End quote ---

I think the idea is that different types of fermented foods will provide different types of useful bacteria for the gut. I, for example, would not benefit one bit from bacteria designed to digest raw dairy better.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version