Author Topic: High-Meat-Recipe Preparation For More Advanced RAFers  (Read 239707 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: High-Meat-Recipe Preparation For More Advanced RAFers
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2009, 04:19:49 pm »
Question:i've got a jar of high meat going right now but i want to make some more. can i just add some fresh meat into the same jar? or is it recommended to start a new batch? i would think it'd be fine to just add some fresh meat into the old one... especially if it's a good batch (then the high meat can inoculate the fresh meat). suggestions?

Sure, i did that all the time when I was storing high-meat outside.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2009, 04:48:57 pm »
I still don't know what to think about botulism. I've eaten so many high meats that were quite old and sometimes not aired for a longer period of time and I haven't experienced any negative symptoms of botulism. But what about those Alaskan people that supposedly got infected with botulinum toxins? They must have done sth really wrong.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2009, 05:55:52 pm »
I still don't know what to think about botulism. I've eaten so many high meats that were quite old and sometimes not aired for a longer period of time and I haven't experienced any negative symptoms of botulism. But what about those Alaskan people that supposedly got infected with botulinum toxins? They must have done sth really wrong.

I think it's more to do with combining cooked with raw or eating aged, cooked meats, along with the fact that people on cooked diets have compromised immune-systems and extreme allergenic response to bacteria and foodstuffs. It's no coincidence that the vast majority of deaths from food-poisoning/botulinism come from very old or very young   or people who are already very ill.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 06:39:53 am by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2009, 07:00:38 pm »
I think it's more to do with combining cooked with raw or eating aged, cooked meats, along with the fact that people on cooked diets have compromised immune-systems and extreme allergenic response to bacteria and foodstuffs. It's no coincidence that the vast majority of deaths from food-poisoning/botulinism come from very old or very young  or people, or people who are already ill.
Generally speaking Inuit people eat SAD or something like that and only occasionally try sth traditional. They hate when they are called Eskimos, because it means people who eat raw meat. They are opportunistic.
As you said many times high meats are for those who are eating rawpaleo for about a year, not for those who eat raw occasionally.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2009, 08:36:52 am »
I've got a couple Mason/Bell jars going right now.
My first jar is ~8 1/2 weeks old right now. The meat has a strong smell to it & little juice. It just tastes over-aged when you eat it but it has given me somewhat of an energy boost, both mental and physical, when I eat it.
My other three jars (started as two gallon sized mason jars but I swapped containers during the process, they're 6 1/2 weeks old now) more closely resemble what I've read on high meats. Quite a bit of liquid in the jar & slimy meat. I've noted no bubbles/effervescence as some others have noted. The meat has a more muddled flavor to it but it's not horrible. The smell is also different than the older high meat, a bit more acidic.

Now, a quick question for those of you with enough high meat preparation under your belts;
I opened the jars this evening to air them out and two of the three had an audible pop when opened. The jar that didn't pop was 1/3 full as opposed to the half of the other two. I still noted no bubbling in the jars though.
This was the third day since the last airing whereas I normally air after one or two days. All jars are refrigerated.
Do I have anything to be terribly concerned about?
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2009, 09:44:19 am »
I think it's more to do with combining cooked with raw or eating aged, cooked meats, along with the fact that people on cooked diets have compromised immune-systems and extreme allergenic response to bacteria and foodstuffs. It's no coincidence that the vast majority of deaths from food-poisoning/botulinism come from very old or very young  or people, or people who are already ill.
So if one has a system compromised by a past cooked diet, should one then wait until it's relatively healed before eating high meats?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2009, 10:21:01 pm »
So if one has a system compromised by a past cooked diet, should one then wait until it's relatively healed before eating high meats?

That's one of the reasons Primal Dieters are advised to wait 1 year before trying high-meat. I however found that aged, raw meats(only aged for a few days) worked fine for me at the start of this diet, so I wish I'd tried high-meat at the start instead of 3 years later.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2009, 08:11:28 am »
I got curious and ate my first chunk of high meat last night before it's truly high. Didn't notice anything, but that's probably because it was only one chunk and not really high yet.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2009, 08:28:14 am »
How long's it been culturing Phil?
I think the first truly noticeable effects from mine took 4-5 weeks, the smell was sooner though.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2009, 09:55:31 am »
I didn't note the start date, but I would say three and a half weeks or so.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2009, 11:18:02 pm »
My horse meat after 3 or 4 weeks has still got pleasant flavour; horse meat is different from other kinds of muscle-meats that I aged

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2009, 09:22:16 am »
i got my camera out today so i thought i'd add a high meat pic. i think this is beef brisket. i think it's been about a month now. it's got a little bit of an aged cheesy taste. actually pretty tasty. i've been airing it every day. those chunks are a little less than an inch square

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2009, 04:44:52 pm »
yon yonson - it's not real high-meat ;)
this is -

it was in april 2009 - about 4 months old deboned lamb thigh, aging in the temperature of 15-20 degrees C
it was really high  ;D

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2009, 09:24:21 pm »
Can you tell us how different in taste and effect a 4 month old high meat is to a 1 month old high meat?

And can't we age the meat any faster?
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2009, 09:47:51 pm »
Can you tell us how different in taste and effect a 4 month old high meat is to a 1 month old high meat?
It depends on the temperature of the aging. The higher the temperature the faster the aging. The fastest is above 25 degrees C.
That one was really high - you could only eat a little bit, because the taste was so strong.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2009, 12:29:41 am »
man, yeah that's way higher than mine. i've never aged anything for that long because i always end up eating it too fast. im gonna have to try that. did you age it outside the fridge? how often did you air it?

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2009, 02:16:06 am »
did you age it outside the fridge? how often did you air it?
I aged it in a cellar, but there was about 15-18 degrees C; I live in a flat in an apartment building, so there is common cellar
I aired it once or twice a day.
It wasn't my oldest high-meat. I had got over a half a year old one - it was extra high, pungent.
After I got used to them the meat that is several weeks old is really fresh for me. ;)

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2010, 01:22:17 pm »
i give my toddler high meat (aged tongue, heart from beef) with blended fresh meat for the 1st time today. he doesn't get the difference. i give that to my husband too with blended meat, he doesn't know. if i blend high meat, than that will kill all the beneficial organisms or not? i need to know. i also need to know that if high meat stop the muscle cramps, increase the blood circulations? i'm suffering with these problems now. if high meat can stop the nerve pain? i see my toddler's following strict raw paleo  except he loves too much dairy (always cheese and sour yogurt). i see he passes out of gas and stool is very stinky. i think it's not very normal for paleo dieters. my chinese doc says he's dealing with worms and that's causing him gas. i need your advise. thanks.
bugs or country chickens

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2010, 01:55:59 pm »
my advice with worms is to get a stool test.  otherwise you'll always wonder and the mental energy is draining.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2010, 06:56:35 am »
Is there any special way or time to eat the high meat? I don't find the taste that bad. Smell is awesome! I have tried my beef and fish (haddock that is a month old. I plan to eat it daily for awhile. I do not really notice the "high" effect.

My neighbour from Tibet used to eat high meat that was stored in a sheep's stomach. He says is was a real treat'.
Cheers
Al

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2010, 03:28:07 am »
There was a comment in here about high meats from frozen meats.

It seems like alot of folks are eating frozen meats, and also speak about high meat, so are people finding they can make true high meat from their frozen stuff, or are they just talking about meat that has sat open in the fridge a bit?

edit: also, I have 2 small bell jars that I've been using, but also some glass jars with plastic top that I would also like to use, is the plastic problematic in any way?

« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 06:37:11 am by KD »

Offline ontheroadnyc

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2010, 04:36:27 pm »
In order to speed things up, what about keeping the jar sealed but just NOT in the fridge?  Doesn't bacteria like warmth to grow?  And you won't get flies laying eggs because the jar is sealed.  I'm kind of chompin' at the bit to get my meat "high".

FYI, I've recently been turned onto Aajonus Vonderplanitz' Primal Diet so it's so cool to have found this forum.  Sometimes I feel like someone's going to lock me up in a loony bin for eating all this raw meat...especially chicken.  And I just love raw dairy.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2010, 05:34:55 pm »
Re high-meat outside the fridge:- even if it's sealed, you're goling to have a problem. Flies live laying their eggs around the surface of the containers so that whenever you open a container's lid, a few eggs will fall in every so often and you won't often notice them as they're so small. Thne the eggs become wriggling live maggots and that's that.

People storing high-meat outside the fridge usually use a plastic container surrounded by 2 large plastic bin-bags. That usually solves the problem.
" Ron Paul.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2010, 08:00:24 pm »
I have 2 small bell jars that I've been using, but also some glass jars with plastic top that I would also like to use, is the plastic problematic in any way?

I've made it with glass jars with plastic tops. The meat came out fine.  The top got smelly.  Plastic absorbs a lot of stuff.  I prefer not to use plastic; because I like using the plastic tops for my milk.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2010, 11:32:55 pm »
Thanks, I've since acquired more ball jars so that hasn't been an issue.

-

The fly thing is confusing because whenever I air my jars they attract massive amounts of flys and other bugs, its unavoidable. I wonder how long it takes to lay eggs?

-
how many people here are consuming meat >2-3 mo? I've noticed it to be extremely different.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 11:42:26 pm by KD »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk