Author Topic: are fermented fruits good for you?  (Read 6949 times)

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
are fermented fruits good for you?
« on: July 20, 2010, 10:25:57 am »
today i had a couple mangoes that were soft, and mostly yellow and red w/ tinges of green as peel color.

They tasted sweet, but the taste was a bit off. I couldn't recognize why it tasted off at first, then I concluded the fruits must have fermented. I picked the ripest looking fruits I could find at the indian grocery store(best place for fresh mangoes here) and they sat on the counter for a few days...so I've concluded that the fruits are slightly fermnented.

For future purposes, are fermented fruits better to eat than fresh fruits? They would be aerobically aged, as opposed to anaerobically.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
Re: are fermented fruits good for you?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 09:13:43 pm »
I have noticed sometimes when I eat fruit, I'll sometimes get parts that are somewhat mushy, and have an "off" taste that is hard to describe.. a bit over-sweet and somewhat bitter, perhaps, which I had also concluded them to be slightly fermented but I was never sure.  Usually I get this in grapes which are mushy rather than crunchy, but I have also eaten a piece of mango which was very soft and slightly mushy compared to the other pieces I had eaten which were very firm and crunchy, and it had that same taste.

I don't know if they were actually fermented, or just over-ripe/rotten, I refuse to drink alcohol so I don't know what it tastes like, which also causes me to avoid consuming any fruit I suspect to be fermented(and i hate mushy fruit anyways).  However, I have no idea if they are good/better for you, but I am curious to know if that peculiar taste does in fact mean that the fruit is fermented.
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.
I live with my dad, so I also have to sneak any raw meat eating.

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 01:25:54 am »
Ripe is best and 'overly' ripe is ok aswell
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 04:11:47 am »
No.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 06:39:35 am »
We do have enzymes to break down alcohol, although not nearly as much as some people consume. So I would say eating some fermented fruits is somewhat natural and healthy.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 06:40:14 am »
No.

Your fruit hate is pointless. You need to grow up a little. Even if something works for you it doesn't mean it works for others. There are different body types, different metabolisms and different digestive systems.

And also there is no "RIGHT" diet. There is no perfect diet which you all seek. Just eat whats healthy and works.
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline tdister

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 08:26:12 am »

Offline MoonStalkeR

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 09:37:13 am »
Fruits are better unripe or slightly ripe, when they have less sugar and are more live. As they ripen they ferment more and have more sugar.

Offline tdister

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 11:29:35 am »
I'm not so sure unripe fruit is good for you. Probably worth researching. I know my body doesn't digest it well.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 11:54:44 am »
maybe Katelyn just meant fermented fruits?  -\ -\

In the conventional standard, fruit has an ideal mountain peak type window where it is unripe-> ripe-> alcoholic. However the simple fact now is that most fruits are too sweet already so there is an advantage to consuming slightly unripe fruit, although likely you won't be able to eat much if it this way without digestive discomfort, which I guess is also beneficial from the anti-fruit perspective.

The reality of fermentation is that - after experiencing living on a tropical fruit orchard - even on a sugar high binge for tasty free ripe fruits, fruits fermenting in the sun are basically inedible and clearly toxic. The alcohols from fresh materials are going to be more potent than processed materials as far as feeding internal yeasts and such, which is why some people with yeast issues can go out drinking and yet can't eat any fruits without outbreaks and such. The whole ideal in cultivating alcohol is under a controlled process, and there is quite a traditional generational 'art' of doing so. Without this process natural fermentation is akin to meat rotting as compared to modern high-meat. Good luck eating a corpse that has been sitting in your yard/woods for 10 months. Its a difference in controlled bacterial growth vs decay.

http://www.fao.org/docrep/x0560e/x0560e07.htm

Offline tdister

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 12:15:31 pm »
maybe Katelyn just meant fermented fruits?  -\ -\

In the conventional standard, fruit has an ideal mountain peak type window where it is unripe-> ripe-> alcoholic. However the simple fact now is that most fruits are too sweet already so there is an advantage to consuming slightly unripe fruit, although likely you won't be able to eat much if it this way without digestive discomfort, which I guess is also beneficial from the anti-fruit perspective.

Less sweet, yes. You're saying that eating those sugars in starch form is an advantage?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 12:28:09 pm by tdister »

Offline MoonStalkeR

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 09:36:21 pm »
I'm not so sure unripe fruit is good for you. Probably worth researching. I know my body doesn't digest it well.

Fruits like pears used to digest better and not ferment as badly when they were only slightly ripe.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 04:26:14 am »
Less sweet, yes. You're saying that eating those sugars in starch form is an advantage?

not necessarily. I think some people - perhaps with good reason - recomend upripe fruit, but I personally don't think this applies to everyone. I think if anything, they would probably claim that it is less of a disadvantage, not that eating lots of starchy fruit has benefits per se or that eating perfectly ripe fruit is 'bad'. The sweetness is only one reason in this logic. I think in comparring the two extremes, I would have to say in my opinion and in most cases I can think of, moderate ammounts of unripe and even poorly unidigested fruit would be better than moderate ammounts of fermented decaying fruit sugar (that I consider to be differnt than even controlled fermentation like wine, and certainly meat or even vegetable fermentation), which is 'food' for all kinds of internal problems.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk