Author Topic: Distilled or Spring water on a 14-21 day fast?  (Read 6552 times)

Offline Savage

• Trapper
    • View Profile
Distilled or Spring water on a 14-21 day fast?
« on: July 21, 2010, 01:25:29 am »
Which is better, Distilled or Spring water on a 14-21 day fast with some heavy lifting and other light-moderate exercise during?

Why?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 02:31:20 am by Savage »

Offline Paleo Donk

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Distilled or Spring water on a 14-21 day fast?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 01:42:58 am »
I'm not sure I have heard of anyone lifting while fasting for that length of time. It seems like lifting will only work to catabolize more muscle than what you already will be losing which from starvation studies seems to be at least 50g a day(iirc). I'm curious as to fasting with just small amounts of lean protein(say 200g lean beef) and a bit of carbs (around 50g) as this should theoretically spare your lean tissue while providing enough energy for proper brain function. Lyle McDonald wrote a book about a similar type diet (Protein sparing modified fast) though nearly every account of people who have tried it report being severely hungry. And my even stricter diet above would likely leave you even hungrier which with complete fasting is reported to go away entirely after 2-3 days.

Perhaps its not such a bad idea to completely fast and lose whatever muscle that goes along with that which for 2 weeks could be around the 5kg range and then rebuild from there.

Be careful though, many people have had horrible experiences fasting while others claim it to be a panacea of sorts so ymmv.

A better bet to find an answer would be the curezone water fasting forum.
http://www.curezone.com/forums/f.asp?f=335

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 01:54:09 am »
I've done a 14 day fast and trust me, you won't be lifting anything. By day 5 taking a walk is very hard. By day 10 you'll feint if you even try.

I really would suggest you do a couple 5-6 day fasts rather then a 14-21 day one. I think everything over 8-10 days becomes harmful.

And prepare to lose a LOT of muscle if you're doing such a lengthy fast. I lost around 15kg of muscle on my 14 day fast.

And as far as your water consumption goes get what ever is the most natural and has more minerals.
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline Savage

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 02:18:28 am »
http://chestofbooks.com/health/natural-cure/Bernarr-MacFadden/Fasting-Hydropathy-and-Exercise/A-Seven-Day-Fast-An-Experience-Of-One-Of-The-Authors.html

http://chestofbooks.com/health/natural-cure/The-Hygienic-System-Fasting-and-Sun-Bathing/Chapter-XVI-Gain-And-Loss-Of-Strength-While-Fasting.html

I suggest you read these 2 chapters about strength and exercise while fasting and then read the whole books from the start, these 2 books are great.

I did two, 3 day water fasts, I felt good, very strong and I lifted weights before I ate, I set new personal records.

I did feel "smaller" but when I ate 5lbs of Pork or so, I had the best pump I've ever had in my life and strength is still higher, I'm already doing this fast, not in the double digit days yet, but will be there  ;D

Spring Water: 1

Distilled Water: 0

Offline Paleo Donk

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 02:23:05 am »
And prepare to lose a LOT of muscle if you're doing such a lengthy fast. I lost around 15kg of muscle on my 14 day fast.

I cannot think of nice ways of disputing numbers that seem to be quite unreasonable. But losing 1kg of muscle a day is much higher than what is reported in starvation studies. Even for those extremely overweight who have lots of water weight to lose which I believe is counted as lean tissue do not lose this amount of weight. Perhaps you were super duper toxic and your body just rid itself of everything. Lex reported losing absurd amounts of weight during his water fast - about twice as much as what is to be expected from the literature.

I just don't know what to think of all this. Either you guys are bad at observing your own weight, are exaggerating or have some severe metabolic disturbance related to toxicity because literally no one loses that much weight in a controlled setting after the first few days. I recall one obese man in a starvation study who lost 9 pounds his first day and then another man on the protein sparing modified diet who was already in great shape lose 9 pounds (of water and reported through an online forum) during one of the first couple days of his "fast". But after the first few days weight loss slows to about a pound a day which much of that is fat tissue.

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 02:26:35 am »
I cannot think of nice ways of disputing numbers that seem to be quite unreasonable. But losing 1kg of muscle a day is much higher than what is reported in starvation studies. Even for those extremely overweight who have lots of water weight to lose which I believe is counted as lean tissue do not lose this amount of weight. Perhaps you were super duper toxic and your body just rid itself of everything. Lex reported losing absurd amounts of weight during his water fast - about twice as much as what is to be expected from the literature.

I just don't know what to think of all this. Either you guys are bad at observing your own weight, are exaggerating or have some severe metabolic disturbance related to toxicity because literally no one loses that much weight in a controlled setting after the first few days. I recall one obese man in a starvation study who lost 9 pounds his first day and then another man on the protein sparing modified diet who was already in great shape lose 9 pounds (of water and reported through an online forum) during one of the first couple days of his "fast". But after the first few days weight loss slows to about a pound a day which much of that is fat tissue.

Well what ever, it's what I lost.

And Savage, there's a huge difference between 3 day fasts and anything longer than that. Don't say I didn't warn ya, especially if you go for something as stupid as 21 days.
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline Savage

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 02:29:37 am »

And Savage, there's a huge difference between 3 day fasts and anything longer than that. Don't say I didn't warn ya, especially if you go for something as stupid as 21 days.

A 21 day fast might be stupid for you, if it shows signs of being stupid for me, I'll terminate it, until then, no stopping.

Maybe you were sick/weak before the fast, I'm not.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk