Author Topic: Can You Still Eat Raw Meat if it's Turned a Little Brown?  (Read 32779 times)

Offline earthling

• Forager
    • View Profile
Can You Still Eat Raw Meat if it's Turned a Little Brown?
« on: July 23, 2010, 10:05:15 am »
Sorry for what might be stupid questions.  I still haven't gotten my book yet.  I got freshly ground organic grass fed beef yesterday and ate some and stored the rest in tupperware in the fridge.  It's slightly brown and I'm wondering if it's still okay to eat and continue to eat tomorrow.  How long can I keep it in the fridge and when do I know if it's gone bad?  Thank you!

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: Can You Still Eat Raw Meat if it's Turned a Little Brown?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 11:41:15 am »
I keep my stuff open in the fridge up to 2 weeks.
Keep it ventilated.  Best to hang it for maximum ventilation.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline earthling

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 11:56:09 am »
Thanks, Good Samaritan.  Does it still turn a little brown?  Mine is ground beef.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 12:11:59 pm »
I have a different philosophy with ground beef.
Personally, I don't like ground beef.
I do serve my kids cooked ground beef but I grind it at the market and serve it the same day.
I experimented with ground beef a la french steak tar tar and I only ate it freshly ground.

My take on ground beef is you buy whole beef and keep it in your ref.  When you want to eat ground beef, you grind it fresh in your grinder.

I have this thing against grinding it and exposing all of it in the air for a long time.

Now meat locked in from a whole slab is different.

You may want to hear the experience of other ground beef eaters.  I personally dislike ground beef.  I like my beef whole and I slice on demand.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline earthling

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 12:26:22 pm »
I have a different philosophy with ground beef.
Personally, I don't like ground beef.
I do serve my kids cooked ground beef but I grind it at the market and serve it the same day.
I experimented with ground beef a la french steak tar tar and I only ate it freshly ground.

My take on ground beef is you buy whole beef and keep it in your ref.  When you want to eat ground beef, you grind it fresh in your grinder.

I have this thing against grinding it and exposing all of it in the air for a long time.

Now meat locked in from a whole slab is different.

You may want to hear the experience of other ground beef eaters.  I personally dislike ground beef.  I like my beef whole and I slice on demand.

Thanks for your advice GoodSamaritan, I got ground beef because it's the only recipe I know.   l)  Will start whole beef.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 07:17:03 pm »
  How long can I keep it in the fridge and when do I know if it's gone bad?  Thank you!
Theoretically you can keep it FOREVER ;)
Practically it depends on your abilities to eat aged meat.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 08:40:21 pm »
I had some 100% grass-fed ground beef which became brown on the outside layer, and I still ate it and it was fine.  Just the flavour of it is a little more intense, but that actually made the ground beef easier for me to eat it raw.

It would probably be better to store the meat in the open rather than in a sealed tupperware, though, unless you aired it outside regularly which is how they make high-meat.  My ground beef also never even went into the fridge after I bought it, but I ate it within 24 hours.. but it was still left out in open-air no-refrigeration the whole time I was at work and while asleep too, just make sure no flies can get to the meat.  Keeping it in the fridge would probably help it last longer than 24 hours, which I'm not sure if I would have eaten my beef after 24 hours without refrigeration.
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.
I live with my dad, so I also have to sneak any raw meat eating.

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 10:03:03 pm »
Theoretically you can keep it FOREVER ;)
Practically it depends on your abilities to eat aged meat.

I would be extremely careful where this is concerned.  A simple Google search will reveal numerous scientific studies carried out on ground meats monitoring the levels of lipid and cholesterol oxidation over a period of 1 to 14 days.  It would be preferable to eat it immediately after grinding but certainly no longer than a day after if one wishes to minimise the impact of these potentially dangerous substances.

Can you be sure precisely when any commercially purchased meat was actually ground?  Probably not.  Also, there are other factors to consider such as the strong toxic cleaning chemicals used on commercial mincers (even when producing organic ground meats!) which will undoubtedly be transferred to the purchased ground meat.

Personally, I never consume pre-ground meat.  I've been eating RPD for 10 years and have only recently started experimenting with ground meats by grinding it myself at home.  I tend to dehydrate it for a couple of hours after grinding and then consume it.  This is also not ideal, I'm sure, but I prefer the taste and texture prepared in this manner.
1. When offered something that is too good to be true. It is.
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.
3. Exponential growth is mathematically unsustainable.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 11:51:57 pm »
unfortunately the ONLY grass-fed beef I have been able to find was ground, so it's either that or no grass-fed beef at all..
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 01:16:18 am »
That's unfortunate.  I, too, have always found obtaining and retaining sources of the very particular food items I require on this diet the most difficult aspect.

Have you considered wild game meats Wolf?  I'd consider these far preferable even to grass-fed/finished domesticated animals as they still eat their naturally foraged diet, suffer far less distress in death thereby producing less stress hormones (no horrific abbatoirs or travel to abbatoirs), and have not been selectively bred by humans for reasons of financial gain.  If you could locate a reliable source of year-round wild game such as venison then, of course, you could store large cuts and grind it yourself.  Just a thought.
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.

Offline sven

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 02:20:50 am »
When I buy meat its red and fresh tasting.  I put it in a glass airtight container to keep the freshness, am I making a mistake?  will is stay fresh longer if I give it more air? 

I don't like it very brown but will still eat it.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 11:50:15 am »
I would looooooove to try some venison, unfortunately I don't know anyone who hunts.

I think it is bad to store meat in an airtight container, unless you air it out regularly, i think because of botulism.. but then airing it out regularly is what people who are making high-meat do, which makes the meat brown and smelly and more intense tasting.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 07:38:13 am »
Interesting regarding the anti-ground talk. I get ground pork at the butchers and it is grass fed organic. He grinds while I wait. I figured it was a bonus to let it get a bit high. I find the ground pork tastes wonderful. Much better than beef. I haven't tried other animals partly due to cost. I just bought some ground pork hmmmmm.
Cheers
Al

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 08:03:56 am »
Watch out for those cleaning chemicals raw-al!  I'd highly recommend investing in a home grinder.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 08:48:53 am »
I hear you Michael. So the grinding is not a problem? Just the way it is done with a grinder cleaned with industrial cleaners? Does time do a job on the meat differently when it is ground?
Cheers
Al

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 02:46:14 am »
Well actually, I think someone mentioned to me that ground meat is not as easily digested as non-ground meat..

http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/hot-topics/undigested-meat/msg42536/#msg42536

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2010, 05:12:02 am »
You may eat more of the same meat if it’s ground, so you’ll easily eat too much of it. As a result you may have digestion troubles and if you systematically grind your meat you can remain permanently in a state of meat overload which can be dangerous in the long run.   
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2010, 06:52:20 am »
how much meat is too much?

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2010, 05:49:18 pm »
how much meat is too much?
If you eat unprocessed, unseasoned, unsalted meat from wild animals, you will know quite exactly how much is too much: when you don’t like it anymore, it means you have enough of it. It’s a bit unclear with beef, lamb, porc and other domesticated animals meats, but the same kind of feeling occurs – somewhat later and therefore we have to be careful.

The amount can vary widely from one person to the other and from a day to another day.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2010, 07:33:33 pm »

As the discussion has slipped into another subject, the following posts have been moved here:    
Mechanical food processing and fermented foods

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2010, 02:37:18 am »
I hear you Michael. So the grinding is not a problem? Just the way it is done with a grinder cleaned with industrial cleaners? Does time do a job on the meat differently when it is ground?

Better late than never raw-al:)  Sorry, I must've missed this one and it's probably no longer important.

In my view, the 2 things to be aware of with eating ground meat are i) industrial cleaners and other toxic residues from commercially produced ground meat and ii) the timeframe between grinding and consumption.  I think I provided a link to studies elsewhere regarding the important issue of lipid oxidation in ground meats (let me know if you can't find it!).  My suggestion would be to only eat meat ground at home and consumed on the same day.

Having said that, I am aware that Lex's mono-diet of ground pet food and fat does not satisfy these requirements and he has still made significant improvements in health.  He buys pre-ground 'pet food' meat from Slankers which, I believe, is frozen.  I don't know if he's consulted with Slankers about any potential industrial chemical pollution.  Being frozen he will, at least, be reducing the lipid oxidation factor although freezing, itself, is not without it's drawbacks (as I understand it) as far as protein damage is concerned.  Admirably, Lex does openly admit that convenience and the ability to attain sufficient good health to enjoy life are his driving motivations.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2010, 07:56:15 am »
Better late than never raw-al:)  Sorry, I must've missed this one and it's probably no longer important.

In my view, the 2 things to be aware of with eating ground meat are i) industrial cleaners and other toxic residues from commercially produced ground meat and ii) the timeframe between grinding and consumption.  I think I provided a link to studies elsewhere regarding the important issue of lipid oxidation in ground meats (let me know if you can't find it!).  My suggestion would be to only eat meat ground at home and consumed on the same day.

Having said that, I am aware that Lex's mono-diet of ground pet food and fat does not satisfy these requirements and he has still made significant improvements in health.  He buys pre-ground 'pet food' meat from Slankers which, I believe, is frozen.  I don't know if he's consulted with Slankers about any potential industrial chemical pollution.  Being frozen he will, at least, be reducing the lipid oxidation factor although freezing, itself, is not without it's drawbacks (as I understand it) as far as protein damage is concerned.  Admirably, Lex does openly admit that convenience and the ability to attain sufficient good health to enjoy life are his driving motivations.

Michael, the bulk of my meat the past few months has been pre-ground as it's the cheapest my farmer has. His standards are so high though that I have no problems from the meat at all. I do notice the brisket, when I get it, is a bit more nourishing but it's all relative to the quality that you begin with. It's all frozen meat as well FWIW.
I have my doubts as to the extent of protein denaturation when frozen in a blast freezer. I'm bulking up quite steadily (~10 pounds in 2 months with a roughly estimated 6-7 pounds as muscle) with visible muscle growth on a diet of usually 1 1/2 pounds of the ground (very lean) and maybe 1/4-1/2 pound suet.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2010, 03:49:17 am »
Glad to hear that you're continuing to make good progress dan!

I had no intention of absolutely denouncing the eating of pre-ground or frozen meat so I hope I did not give this impression.  I just wanted to point out the important points worthy of consideration to raw-al and anybody else that reads it.  Of course, we all make our own choices based on our own perception of the evidence and our own circumstances.  I can also clearly see the attraction of pre-ground frozen meats from a convenience and financial perspective and, if my circumstances were different, would not entirely rule out eating such foods myself.

I'd be interested in any links to studies or information which has informed your doubts regarding the extent of protein denaturation resulting from freezing.

Hope you're laying off those berries?!!   ;)

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2010, 07:36:20 am »
Glad to hear that you're continuing to make good progress dan!
Thank Michael. I'm very happy too. ;D

I had no intention of absolutely denouncing the eating of pre-ground or frozen meat so I hope I did not give this impression.  I just wanted to point out the important points worthy of consideration to raw-al and anybody else that reads it.  Of course, we all make our own choices based on our own perception of the evidence and our own circumstances.  I can also clearly see the attraction of pre-ground frozen meats from a convenience and financial perspective and, if my circumstances were different, would not entirely rule out eating such foods myself.
I know you didn't. I just wanted to add in a bit more of my 2 cents with more recent experience. :)

I'd be interested in any links to studies or information which has informed your doubts regarding the extent of protein denaturation resulting from freezing.
I fly by the seat of my pants Michael. If it makes me feel good then it's ok in my book. I love science but do not spend time reading up on many studies so usually have no hard evidence to back up my anecdotal findings.
My feels about the protein issue is due to how I feel eating consistent brisket versus consistent ground. I do notice I have a small hit to performance (oftentimes mental) when eating solely ground but it's very small.
Of note my ground meat is much coarser and could very well be a single pass through the grinder like Rawzi mentioned. Maybe this minimizes problems for me?

Hope you're laying off those berries?!!   ;)
Absolutely. The last fruit I had were about a half dozen lingonberries, maybe a month ago, off of plants my mother planted this year. They were nice and tart which was nice. I also didn't notice an issue with my Candida afterwards but did have a small bit of joint pain so will not make it a regular occasion.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2010, 08:40:56 am »
I was eating ground in the past frequently but I realize that I prefer it not ground up. However I try to vary my menu so it will be used here and there. I find that I will go for awhile eating one type of meat and then after awhile it starts to get unappealing so onto another. I suspect that it is an inborn need for some nutrient or another that is calling.

From my Ayurvedic studies I have concluded that eating one particular meal for very long periods is an invitation to disease. (This'll start a racket LOL )
Cheers
Al

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk