Author Topic: Hi, I'm New -- Can I start out slowly with this diet or do I have to jump in?  (Read 4101 times)

Offline earthling

• Forager
    • View Profile
Hi, I'm very new - I literally just found out about this diet today.  I've been reading Amazon reviews of The Primal Diet and I'm going to order it.   In the meantime I'd like to start eating some raw meat immediately and have some questions.

1) I'm a protein type with an autoimmune disease called Lupus that has affected my kidneys in the past.  (I'm also hypoglycemic believe I have adrenal fatigue.)  I've heard that the best diet for the kidneys is a vegetarian diet but I feel HORRIBLE when I go without meat.  From reading some of the posts here, I am guessing raw meat is NOT bad for the kidneys and will actually improve their function?

2) Can I start out slowly, like have raw beef once a day or a couple times a week?  Is it detrimental to have cooked meats on the same day?  Or do I need to jump in and eat everything raw? 

3) How do I avoid getting sick from raw meat?  I live near a Whole Foods that sells organic free range beef - would I have to get it on the day the beef comes in? (though they never tell me the best day - they always say everyday is the best day).  Do I have to eat it right away, or can I store it in the fridge/freezer?  If so what is the proper way to defrost? 

Sorry about all these newbie questions.  I will do more research on these threads but am really worn out today.  Many thanks!

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Hi, I'm very new - I literally just found out about this diet today.  I've been reading Amazon reviews of The Primal Diet and I'm going to order it.   In the meantime I'd like to start eating some raw meat immediately and have some questions.[/url]
Welcome to the forum. :)

1) I'm a protein type with an autoimmune disease called Lupus that has affected my kidneys in the past.  (I'm also hypoglycemic believe I have adrenal fatigue.)  I've heard that the best diet for the kidneys is a vegetarian diet but I feel HORRIBLE when I go without meat.  From reading some of the posts here, I am guessing raw meat is NOT bad for the kidneys and will actually improve their function?
Raw meat doesn't seem to stress most people's kidneys out.

2) Can I start out slowly, like have raw beef once a day or a couple times a week?  Is it detrimental to have cooked meats on the same day?  Or do I need to jump in and eat everything raw? 
Absolutely. It's a step in the right direction for your health so even if it's small steps it's beneficial. Common consensus around here is to avoid cooked meats on days when you eat raw meat. You could alternate days of cooked & raw, etc. but I personally wouldn't mix the two on the same day.

3) How do I avoid getting sick from raw meat?  I live near a Whole Foods that sells organic free range beef - would I have to get it on the day the beef comes in? (though they never tell me the best day - they always say everyday is the best day).  Do I have to eat it right away, or can I store it in the fridge/freezer?  If so what is the proper way to defrost? 
Eating quality food is the best way to avoid getting sick.
You can buy the meat the day it comes in but it's not neccesary.
There's debate here on the damaging effects of freezing the meat. I'm doing fine on pre-frozen meats as are a number of members here on the forum. Storing in the fridge is perfectly fine as well.
I defrost the meat by leaving it on my counter overnight (or sticking it outside in the sun if I forgot to defrost something and need to hasten things).

Sorry about all these newbie questions.  I will do more research on these threads but am really worn out today.  Many thanks!
No problem. Definitely read up in the newbie section as well as general discussion, those two seem to have the most pertinent questions/answers for someone starting out. :)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline earthling

• Forager
    • View Profile
Thanks so much, djr!  Going grocery shopping tomorrow and will have some raw meat for the first time in my life!

Offline earthling

• Forager
    • View Profile
Raw meat doesn't seem to stress most people's kidneys out.
Absolutely. It's a step in the right direction for your health so even if it's small steps it's beneficial. Common consensus around here is to avoid cooked meats on days when you eat raw meat. You could alternate days of cooked & raw, etc. but I personally wouldn't mix the two on the same day.
Eating quality food is the best way to avoid getting sick.
You can buy the meat the day it comes in but it's not neccesary.
There's debate here on the damaging effects of freezing the meat. I'm doing fine on pre-frozen meats as are a number of members here on the forum. Storing in the fridge is perfectly fine as well.
I defrost the meat by leaving it on my counter overnight (or sticking it outside in the sun if I forgot to defrost something and need to hasten things).
No problem. Definitely read up in the newbie section as well as general discussion, those two seem to have the most pertinent questions/answers for someone starting out. :)

Whoops, I misread your post the other night, Dan - I thought you had written that you do well on "frozen meat."  I am wondering though - how do you know if your raw meat is good?  I ate mine because I had just bought it and it was all pink. 

And what do you think about the 14 day freezing rule to kill all the parasites?

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Whoops, I misread your post the other night, Dan - I thought you had written that you do well on "frozen meat."  I am wondering though - how do you know if your raw meat is good?  I ate mine because I had just bought it and it was all pink. 
It is frozen meat. I take it out of the freezer and thaw it for that day or the next. My current supplier packages it in small amounts so it's how I do it now. I had been buying large cuts from another supplier and leaving them in the fridge for a week or two but they just gave me meat again with grain in it (I'm allergic to the corn & grains therefore very sensitive to the cattle's diet); third strike and you're out.

And what do you think about the 14 day freezing rule to kill all the parasites?
It's not necessary. There's a lot of fear about naturally occurring things in this world which don't hurt us if we're healthy. :)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline earthling

• Forager
    • View Profile
Thanks for the info, Dan.   :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk