Author Topic: Potato dinner replacement?  (Read 7565 times)

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
Potato dinner replacement?
« on: July 25, 2010, 09:18:36 pm »
Whenever I go out to dinner with my family, I always get a steak dinner meal which also usually comes with a potato (whether you want it mashed, baked, or french fries) and steamed vegetables.

I always order my steak rare, though I would prefer to eat it raw, but you can't really order steak raw at a restaurant, and even if you could my dad would never let me, but lately I've been asking for fruit as a replacement for the vegetables, even before I found out about this raw-paleo diet, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that most restaurants will give you fresh fruit instead of steamed veggies.  However, I always asked for fries as the potato part, but now that I want to be on a raw diet, any cooked potato would be out of the question, so I wanted to ask you guys if you know any raw food alternative I could ask for at a restaurant to replace the potato part, similar to me replacing my veggies with fruit?

It would be nice to be able to mostly continue with a raw diet even when I go out to a restaurant with my family and am forced to eat my meat semi-cooked, but if I can find a suitable raw replacement for my potato, that would be awesome.
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.
I live with my dad, so I also have to sneak any raw meat eating.

Offline dsohei

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Potato dinner replacement?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 12:33:51 am »
do you even really need the potatoe OR its substitute? restaurants serve that shit because its filler. when i eat out, i say hold the sides. try eating the rare steak by itself.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 12:00:17 pm »
yes, well, I hate wasting food for one, plus it's wasting money, and for two I get disapproving comments when all I eat is the meat on my plate, and for three even though I'd prefer just to eat the steak and nothing else(and have done so numerous times), the steaks usually aren't that big at restaurants and I'm usually still hungry after I finish it, and fruit does nothing for filling me up.. so it would be nice if I could get rid of the potato and get something else good that was raw instead.. like, if only I could ask for some raw egg yolks instead, that would be nice, but I don't think you can get raw egg yolks in restaurants nor do i know if my dad would even let me eat them even if I could order them.. or a side of raw marrow or liver would be wonderful, but I'm pretty sure you can't order that anywhere.

stupid restaurants.
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 12:25:22 pm »
My trick is I eat at home before going to the restaurant.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 01:10:50 pm »
Just nibble the potato or anything else that comes with the steak.  that will appease everyone.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 02:00:44 pm »
Ask for two servings of fruit and no potatos.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline King Salmon

• Elder
  • Eating the best realistic diet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 03:15:54 pm »
Meat with fruit? I don't think so man.That's pretty crappy food combining -v.Meat combines well with veggies:ask for okra,celery,zucchini,cauliflower(ask for lightly steamed or whatever)...I know you would rather be raw,but,you've already made the commitment to dine out.....so...at least don't upset your stomach by eating meat & fruit at the same meal.
"Eat the best of what's available and call it a day"

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 02:58:11 am »
lol..

even if I eat before going to the restaurant, I still have the other problems, plus that somewhat defeats the purpose of going to the restaurant in the first place.. also I am mostly asking this because soon I am going to be going on a family vacation out of state with my dad, and we usually eat out to dinner a lot when we do, and since I won't be able to bring my own food with me and eat before we go out, then that won't work either. 

nibbling on the potato probably won't work either, because then I'll just end up devouring the whole thing.  I'm pretty greedy with food.  plus if I don't eat the whole thing/most of it, I still get the comments anyways, which I usually ignore anyways, but when I'm hungry I can eat like crazy.

two servings of fruit seems like an overload of sugar without filling me up at all, since fruit doesn't seem to sit in my stomach at all.  It just feels pretty much the same as drinking water to me.

and lol, I forgot to mention that the reason I ask for fruit instead of veggies is because I cannot stand to eat steamed vegetables.  They get all soggy and mushy and gross, and I hardly even like vegetables when they're fresh and crunchy let alone disgustingly mushy.  My stomach never feels upset no matter what type of food combinations I eat, though, so that won't be much of a problem really..

Offline dsohei

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 03:03:04 am »
guess you'll have to choose self-control.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 03:49:02 am »
I have plenty of self control, but when I'm nearly underweight already, I don't think it's a good idea for me to always be skipping out on foods just because I can't find any raw alternatives.  Even when I eat like crazy on an SAD diet, I don't gain any weight, so hardly eating on a raw-paleo diet will probably throw me into the underweight range.

However, I'm thinking I'm only going to be able to be on a partially raw diet, because since starting to eat as much raw as i can, I've been constantly hungry and sometimes becoming exhausted at times I need to be awake (such as while driving at work) even though I've also had an increase in energy during the day whenever I wake up, even with less sleep, and my skin seems to be a lot healthier/healing better/less acne while my hair also seems softer..

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 04:02:16 am »
I have plenty of self control, but when I'm nearly underweight already, I don't think it's a good idea for me to always be skipping out on foods just because I can't find any raw alternatives.  Even when I eat like crazy on an SAD diet, I don't gain any weight, so hardly eating on a raw-paleo diet will probably throw me into the underweight range.

However, I'm thinking I'm only going to be able to be on a partially raw diet, because since starting to eat as much raw as i can, I've been constantly hungry and sometimes becoming exhausted at times I need to be awake (such as while driving at work) even though I've also had an increase in energy during the day whenever I wake up, even with less sleep, and my skin seems to be a lot healthier/healing better/less acne while my hair also seems softer..
It sounds like you'd do well on a cooked paleo diet with some raw meats and especially fats.
Basically avoid refined foods, grains, and refined sugar. Eat lightly cooked meats, raw fruit, maybe some veggies. Treat yourself to raw meats & fish when you've got the money to spend. Maybe try to source out some good quality eggs and supplement your diet with some raw egg.
A cooked paleo diet is still orders better than the standard American diet yet seems to be a diet choice that your father would find acceptable and willing to finance versus raw meat. Eating this way for a couple years should still have positive effects on the body and when you are financially independent you can up the raw percentage to where you feel comfortable. :)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline dsohei

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 04:40:58 am »
i agree with djr
and to add, you are probably eating healthy, just not enough calories.
maybe try some good coconut oil, or avocados, or more high quality meat and seafood.
you are on the right track and the way to not binge on crap food when youre hungry is to have healthy options ready for yourself.
make a list and refer to it when at restaurants so you know what to ask for.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 02:11:24 am »
Thanks for the advice you guys, I'll do the best that I can.
It's just hard sometimes because my stomach can be like a bottomless pit at times, and fruits and veggies aren't filling for me whatsoever, so even if I had a fridge full of them and ate it all I'd still be hungry.   -[

and I think when I go to restaurants I'll just try and see if I can order steak and eggs with a side of fruit, and get the steak rare and the eggs sunnyside up so at least the yolk is mostly raw..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk