Author Topic: Why does everyone think suet is inedible?  (Read 6410 times)

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Why does everyone think suet is inedible?
« on: August 05, 2010, 06:39:17 am »
The farmer that I buy my grass fed beef from got very interested with my raw paleo diet. She had no "thats disgusting" reaction that my friends had and was rather accepting of the idea. Anyway this time I ordered some suet and her first response was "why? You can't eat raw suet? You have to render it?" I've heard this before, is their some reason for this?
thanks
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline tdister

• Trapper
    • View Profile
Re: Why does everyone think suet is inedible?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 08:41:05 am »
I'm eating raw suet as I type. It's fine. Rather tasteless and waxy, but fine.

I have to eat it with a piece of meat or it's too boring.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 08:42:54 am »
I'm eating raw suet as I type. It's fine.
Me too. I have no problems with it (so long as I don't go way overboard with it any given day but that's all fats).
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Sitting Coyote

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 08:58:40 am »
I buy and eat a lot of suet.  I usually mix it with chopped meat and add a little un-heated honey.  Not as good or as healthful as marrow in my opinion, but an excellent addition to one's diet.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 09:43:45 am »
Hmm, not sure. Try grass fed bison back fat! Best animal fat I have ever eaten! Hand down. I tried suet. This is much better.

Back fat is, not too dry, but not real wet like some fats. Easy to cut even straight out of the freezer. It's like a mix between grass fed butter and suet. Perfecto!

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 09:49:05 am »
Hmm, not sure. Try grass fed bison back fat! Best animal fat I have ever eaten! Hand down. I tried suet. This is much better.

Back fat is, not too dry, but not real wet like some fats. Easy to cut even straight out of the freezer. It's like a mix between grass fed butter and suet. Perfecto!
Sounds delicious, If i can find it ill make sure to get a bunch.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 10:09:27 am »
Sounds delicious, If i can find it ill make sure to get a bunch.
Do it, I bought like five pounds of bison back fat from www.northstarbison.com (have to call to order the fat, not on the website).
It is expensive. 5 dollars a pound or something, but it taste amazing.

I go to the store and buy lean meat with no worries because I have fat at home! Its great! I had some lean jerky (dehydrated at 95 degrees). Took out the frozen fat. Was amazing. Took a bite of the jerky, took a bite of the fat. Mixed it in my mouth! Just delicious.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 05:10:45 pm »
I don't bother with raw suet, these days, I would rather have raw marrow as so many of my suet sources turned out not to digest very well.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 05:39:03 pm »
I don't bother with suet myself.
I go for back fat and marrow.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline maxscan

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 11:12:59 pm »
I'm eating salt marsh lamb suet at the moment - I tend to chop it up and then sometimes dip it in paprika or cumin for a little flavour otherwise yes, it can be a bit bland. Don't really like it mixed in with meat as the chewiness stops me wolfing down the steak!

Actually, I do have a question about suet - when I get it from the butcher it's sometimes covered in blood from where it's been cut away. If I'm eating it then and there that doesn't bother me but usually I keep some of it for the next few days - at that point is it better to rinse the blood off? I just wonder if blood goes 'bad' in some way easier than meat?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 05:18:06 pm »
Technically, raw meat never "goes bad" unless sealed in a non-oxygenated environment for ages. Many of us like our raw aged meats(ie high-meats). I wouldn't worry about it.

Good to see you getting hold of raw saltmarsh-fed lamb. It's damned expensive, though, which is why I go in for raw wild game, which, absurdly, is a lot cheaper by comparison.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline maxscan

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 03:33:52 am »
Ah ok, will ignore it from now on then - there are often little bits of kidney attached too - I haven't tried raw organ meat yet so I guess that could be a gentle introduction!

I've been quite lucky with the butcher in that they just give me the suet as they'd only throw it away normally - although I do spend a bloody fortune on the grass-fed beef so I guess they're still doing ok!!

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 03:49:52 am »
How do you get grass-fed beef from your butcher? Do they hold it there, or do you have to ask for it specially?
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline maxscan

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 04:10:27 am »
It's a small local butcher and they've gone for a 'high quality' proposition to compete with the supermarkets so all the beef they have in there is grass-fed or organic and the lamb is all salt marsh. The beef I get is not technically organic - it's Scottish heather-fed and they can't certify the land organic because it's publicly accessible but to all intents and purposes it's organic - they have certification to prove origin, feed etc.

They're based in Teddington / Strawberry Hill http://www.agmiller.co.uk/ - the only downside I would say is that they're not cheap unfortunately...

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 04:17:02 am »
I've had heather-fed lamb before. It's quite good.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk