Author Topic: Keto vs raw diet?  (Read 7422 times)

Offline NotAsOriginalAsHoped

• Forager
    • View Profile
Keto vs raw diet?
« on: December 13, 2014, 11:53:44 pm »
Thinking of starting off on this. Does this diet necessarily equal ketogenic dieting/adaptation? I'd think not, as I've seen some raving on the high amounts of carbs in organs, but I'm just starting off.

Offline ciervo-chaman

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Keto vs raw diet?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 01:58:47 am »
keto can be raw.

how much carbs are in organs, do you know? do you know how much carbs are enough to get you out of keto?

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 02:12:04 am »
Ketogenic diet and raw paleo diet are two separate things, but you can keto-adapt on a RPD with no problem at all.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 08:05:09 am »
@eveheart: Yeah, I got that, but I'm wondering, if I were only eating animal (no dairy products), would I necessarily be eating keto? I'd rather not, as I'm a fan of more intense workouts on the day-to-day, and keto apparently sucks for that. Again, I've heard that eating organs gives lots of good carbs, but how would they compare to plant carbs? How much organs (and which?) for, say, 100g of carbs?

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 08:25:22 am »
you might find Dr. Attia and his website interesting   eating academy.com         This guy, as one example, has a lot to talk about re. Keto and training.   On what level would one find him unhealthy because of his Keto diet?   

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 09:02:22 am »
@eveheart: Yeah, I got that, but I'm wondering, if I were only eating animal (no dairy products), would I necessarily be eating keto?

Well... yes, if you ate only animal, you would most likely be in ketosis, unless you were massively overeating protein. I'm sure you need to rephrase your question slightly, because I know you are not saying that cutting out dairy products puts you in ketosis.

A paleolithic diet is rarely ketogenic on a year-round basis, unless you went the extra step to limit carbs. I limit carbs to control blood sugar, but I test blood sugar and not ketones. When I do test for ketones, they are usually in the "trace" range because I try to keep my carbs up as high as my blood sugar will allow.

If you have been enjoying a cooked diet that works well for your fitness goals, why not just eat the same foods raw, improving the quality of foods (e.g. grass-fed, organic, etc) if necessary? There are no "paleo police" that say you have to omit raw dairy.

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 09:29:35 pm »
@eveheart: One, thanks for the "paleo police" comment; I know a lot of people who've signed up on that. Personally, I'd like to do this to do it; I don't believe it's the end-all-be-all of ultimate fitness or whatever. But yeah, since posting, I've read somewhere that the Inuits' diet was ~15-20+% carbs from all the glycogen in raw meat, so that and organs (if I haven't been lied to) should keep me out of ketosis.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 11:28:52 pm »
@eveheart: One, thanks for the "paleo police" comment; I know a lot of people who've signed up on that.

:)

Personally, I'd like to do this to do it; I don't believe it's the end-all-be-all of ultimate fitness or whatever. But yeah, since posting, I've read somewhere that the Inuits' diet was ~15-20+% carbs from all the glycogen in raw meat, so that and organs (if I haven't been lied to) should keep me out of ketosis.

I've read that the glycogen in raw meat "dissipates" quickly, so if you eat meat that you haven't just killed, it won't be a source of glycogen.

But, having said that, I have learned to rely on my own experience and common sense more than the details of other cultures. I think a raw paleo diet based on my locality makes the most sense, and is as close to end-all-be-all as I can come.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk