Author Topic: NEWBIE!!!! Q & A  (Read 7692 times)

Offline Lancelion

• Forager
    • View Profile
NEWBIE!!!! Q & A
« on: August 13, 2010, 12:07:37 am »
Hi, I am Lancelot, and I am new to this forum.
I suscribed because I am very interested in beginning a completely raw paleo diet. However, I have a few concerns, and I'd like it if you could answers these questions. Take in consideration if you may that I weigh 150 pounds, am 5 feet 11 tall, and trying to put on some muscle weight by starting an exercice program as well.

1. At what frequency should I eat, and how much? (Do I only need to eat once a day? When? Say I work during the daytime, it's definitely not possible for me to bring raw meat at work, now is it?)

2. Can I store some raw meat in the freezer? If not, then how can I manage to keep so much meat? If yes, how do I unfreeze it without destroying the active blood cells?

3. If it is said that we humans are made for a 99% raw meat diet, why is it that we have that many molars, and only 4 canines, while carnivorous tend to have much more canines?

4. If it happens one day that I should break the diet, will I be sick? If so, then does it mean I should never be invited for dinner anywhere?

Hmm thats about it for now. Thank you for your answers, I am slowly preparing to begin a compeltely raw paleo diet, because I have been convinced by many factors (expensive groceries, feeling that my teeth were weaker after one week of raw vegan diet, doubts on the quality of almost every industrialised food, lifestyle that doesnt allow me enough time to cook and prepare food, readings on the rawpaleodiet website about people feeling much healthier with this diet, need to gain muscl and get rid of acne the most efficient way possible, etc.) )that this is the best way to live.

Thank you again!
Lancelot

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: NEWBIE!!!! Q & A
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 03:03:52 am »
Most workers go in for 1 large meal a day, usually in the evenings for a number of obvious reasons. If you are raw omnivorous, you could always eat raw fruits/raw veg at lunch-time and eat raw meats in the evenings. Raw zero-carbers can always eat raw beef jerky at lunch-time.

By all means freeze some of your raw meats. Don't worry re this issue. It's a lot less worse than cooking.

As regards veganiams versus carnivorism, nobody has any definite answers. I have seen some excellent, very compelling arguments in favour of 100% veganism or 100% carnivorism, and I, like many others, did badly on both and required a raw, omnivorous diet.

Many people get slight digestive issues with cooked foods after some time on raw diets. The way to get round that easily is to do things like eat some raw eggs or some high-meat before a cooked meal, eat as little of that cooked meal as is socially possible etc.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 03:59:00 am »

If you have to eat 3 times a day, go for fruits in the middle.

Maybe mix in an avocado to have some fat as well.

Most people that occasionally break the raw diet are fine. Try the least processed food possible.

Offline Lancelion

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 05:16:36 am »
thank you for the answers! Heres a few more questions:

1. How much should I eat? (take in consideration that I am also starting a bodybuilding program)

2. Wont I ever be hungry during the day if I eat only once in the evening? Isnt 2 pounds of meat quite a big meal for one time?

I think thats about it. I am very excited to start this new diet, yet I am apprehensive due to my lack of understanding of the same diet, so your answers really help me!

thanks again,
Lancelot

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 02:07:19 pm »
I'm pretty new to all this as well, so I'm still trying to figure things out.

But I was told to eat until satiated, and heard that usually when on at least a low/zero carb and high fat diet, that you don't really feel hungry throughout the day.  Also, I think that most stretch out their meal throughout a couple hours time period, so they don't just eat it all at once, at least I think so.  I'm not really trying to bodybuild or anything though, just work out a bit, plus everyone is different, so I don't know how that will work for you.  But good luck, and I hope all your questions get answered!
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.
I live with my dad, so I also have to sneak any raw meat eating.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 05:20:57 pm »
I would say, just eat until you're not hungry any more. If you feel you need to eat more if you're not building up enough muscle, that's fine too.

If you're hungry mid-day at work, just eat a little raw fruit. Most people do that until they're used to eating 1 large meal a day in the evenings.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 05:01:05 am »
I'm a Raw ZCer and I eat once a day, but a small meal before I lift (I do fasted cardio). I bring raw hamburger to work and eat it before I go to lift. No big deal.

Offline Rob

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 09:19:54 am »
I eat raw meat at work, and some of my coworkers think I'm crazy, and other ask where the raw eggs are for my raw meat. In my mind, this means the door is opened for raw eggs in my meat at the work place.

I find large meals make me want to sleep. Until I can get past this, I am eating 2 meals per day just to keep the amount I eat down to a reasonable size per sitting. If you are fairly low carb (I hover around 50-100g per day) You don't get hungry as much.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 02:21:42 am »
Welcome Lancelion (or Lancelot?) !

I try to limit myself to 2 meals per day, a rather short one for lunch and a long one for dinner. I experimented to eat several daily meals of a single food each, but then I tend to eat all day long and it doesn’t work very well for me. Actually, my evening meal is usually extremely prolonged, because I wait to leave a long span between each different foodstuff, especially between meat, eggs or shellfish and vegetables. So it’s an intermediate solution between above ways.

Francois
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Lancelion

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 11:29:38 pm »
Im getting a price here on hormone-free, good-grass-fed beefs, for 4$ the pound. Is that good? If I buy the whole beef (app. 500 pounds), how long can I sustain on it?

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 09:00:15 am »

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk1/sarahab88/100814_155603.jpg

I buy these chuck eye rolls 40 pounds 110 dollars, pasture raised black Angus, very marbled

Try and get fatty cuts , ultra pure raw fat is really the key to going raw paleo successfully.

I eat about 2 pounds a day of my beef with a little of lamb fat (I get for free)

I was trying to buy a whole cow for cost savings, but SAM the butcher is such an angle he gives me these cases at wholesale,
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 08:35:33 pm »
Isn't the healthiest meat un-marbled, with the fat being under the skin, in the bones, around the organs(including muscle) etc..?
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

djr_81

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 05:32:24 am »
Isn't the healthiest meat un-marbled, with the fat being under the skin, in the bones, around the organs(including muscle) etc..?
Typically that's how true grass-finished presents and it's how all wild deer I've had appears.
If I got that meat Sabertooth I'd have concerns that it had grain in it's diet. I could verify with a smell and a taste but it looks much closer to grain-finished than grass. -\

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 06:19:12 am »
Typically grainfed is more marbled, but this is special, It is Kentucky pasture raised black Angus fed on the mineral rich bluegrass and spring waters of central Kentucky.(black Angus can be well marbled on a pristine pastured environment). My butcher said he sells the top part of the chuckeye sales for 7 dollars a pound. This isn't grain fed nor is it scrub grass southwest beef, Its taste is creamy and clean(I just like to brag)
Sam the butcher takes pride in offering the finest quality meat for his restaurant and butcher shop

On the other hand I have had grainfinished from whole foods and its tasty but if I eat a lot of it I eventually lose my apatite for it. I have tried the grass feed that is Georgia raised, and it wasn't very good and I lost my appetite for it. The beef in the photo is by far the best stuff I have had so far( looks can be deceiving)
http://naturespasture.com/black-angus-beef
Its a myth that only grain feed animals marble well
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 06:31:42 am by sabertooth »

djr_81

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 06:42:55 am »
I buy my beef from a farmer who raises Black Angus cows as well. These are rotationally grazed here in the Hudson Valley of NY which is also extremely fertile farmland. It's not nearly as marbled as your photo though.
I just wanted to point out you should make sure what you're getting is 100% legit not argue over who gets better meat. :)

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2010, 07:46:48 am »
yes its all for the greater good, no offence, I just wanted people to know that there is exceptions to the lean grassfed paradigm, I appreciate people calling me out if I am wrong, because I do tend to get over zealous and even talk a bit of nonsense every now and then,

We all need to work to ensure that the paleo foods we enjoy are as pure as possible

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2010, 07:53:00 am »
Is marbling a species dependent thing?
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2010, 09:22:25 am »
I've eaten marbeled beef which was labeled GF. It's was tasmanian beef. Delicious and expensive.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline Lancelion

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2010, 02:29:04 am »
Are intestines any good? Whats the best piece of innie meat? The heart, the lungs, the liver? Thnak you very much for all your answers, Im looking forward to commencing this diet next week, or as soon as possible!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk