Author Topic: Raw Liver - Increased Bruising?  (Read 7497 times)

Offline rawliver

• Forager
    • View Profile
Raw Liver - Increased Bruising?
« on: August 22, 2010, 02:52:58 am »
I just started eating raw calf's liver each day about two weeks ago (100g a day, or about 4 ounces), and ever since then I've noticed that I'm bruising more often. I workout with weights, and as you can imagine body parts get bumped, but previously this would never lead to bruises, but now I'm getting them.

Granted, there's not a lot of bruising, just a few here and there.

Has anyone else experienced this with liver consumption, and if so, do you know why? Does it have something to do with the iron content of liver, or perhaps I need more Vitamin C?

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Re: Raw Liver - Increased Bruising?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 04:00:11 am »
Liver contains the mk4 version of vitamin K2, which is reportedly very bioavailable for humans and which helps the blood to clot, and is therefore widely recognized as potentially thereapeutic for easy bruising. My own past easy bruising disappeared years ago after I cut out gluten and increased my intake of vitamin K. Later when I increased my intake of plant carbs like fruits, a little of the easy bruising returned, and then disappeared again when I cut back on carbs and ate more raw eggs, beef jerky and red meats. So I don't have an explanation for your experience. Perhaps there is another factor you haven't considered?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 05:48:41 am »
I just started eating raw calf's liver each day about two weeks ago (100g a day, or about 4 ounces), and ever since then I've noticed that I'm bruising more often.

Maybe your liver is frozen.  What else in your life has changed?  Liver doesn't make me bruise.  Do you blend or age it?  Where are the calves from?
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 05:52:46 am »
    Maybe your liver is frozen.

Are you suggesting that frozen liver is bad for you, or just less good for you than fresh liver?
I'm only asking because I've got a frozen cow liver in the freezer...
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 06:02:26 am »
Are you suggesting that frozen liver is bad for you, or just less good for you than fresh liver?

Some people may be very sensitive, and not do well with frozen.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline rawliver

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 07:04:08 am »
It's frozen, but I'm not sure why that would be much of an issue

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 07:59:23 am »
    Do you have to be sure before you try?  Or could you try fresh for two weeks and see if you bruise as much?

Offline rawliver

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 11:55:13 am »
Does my intake of Liver seem excessive?

It basically amounts to slightly less than 2 lbs per week.

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 04:07:50 pm »
try eating less liver. Maybe you only need one to two ounces, too much vitamin A thins skin and makes it fragile. It's a very common side effect of synthetic vitamin A.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 04:29:11 pm »
I doubt you are being poisoned. I've eaten excessive amounts of liver in the past and it just passed through me untouched or I stopped craving it for a few months then went back.

Liver is great for sports. Try 100g a day week on week off.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 04:21:25 am »
Rawliver, if you're concerned, you could simply cut back on liver for a while and see what happens. Theoretically, perhaps your liver source is particularly low in vitamin K and high in vitamin A for some reason, or perhaps your gut is damaged and cannot absorb vitamin K well but you are able to absorb vitamin A. I'd be surprised if liver could cause easy bruising over such a short time period without also causing other symptoms, but it doesn't hurt to avoid liver for a little while. I'm not sure why one would need to eat liver every day anyway, unless one was putting small amounts into a mix, like Lex does.

While easy bruising is listed by at least a couple sources as a symptom of extreme hypervitaminosis A, such as from isotretinoin (Accutane) use and extreme doses of vitamin A supplements, it is not listed among the most common symptoms:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000350.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypervitaminosis_A

Do you have any of those symptoms?

Even one of the sources that acknowledges easy bruising as a symptom of hypervitaminosis A expresses doubt about hypervitaminosis A developing over short time periods from even dog livers (which reportedly contain much higher concentrations of vitamin A than beef livers):

"The symptoms of chronic hypervitaminosis A are well documented. Vitamin A, being fat soluble and stored in the body to some extent, is known to exhibit toxicity at very high dosages taken over long periods of time. However, most reports have been related to the ingestion of large amounts of the vitamin in tablet form over extended periods of time — usually several years rather than weeks. Symptoms have included coarseness and sparseness of hair of the scalp, eyebrows and other parts of the body; dryness of the skin, ulceration, and desquamation; hepatosplenomegaly; anorexia and diarrhoea; cessation of menstruation; haemorrhagic tendency; hyperostosis, bone tenderness or pain, especially of the distal extremities (which may be accompanied by weakness); myalgia; and dizziness, blurred vision, increased intracranial pressure (causing bulging of the fontanelles in infants and severe headache in adults); and irritability and depression.5,6-15

In contrast, most of the evidence for acute vitamin A poisoning remains anecdotal — the assumed acute symptoms of one case used to support the diagnosis of the next."

http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/183_11_051205/car10291_fm.html

I regularly eat some liver myself (though not every day) without any easy bruising symptoms despite my history of easy bruising, though your mileage may vary, of course. Plus, there's the wolf expert and his wife who eat plenty of organs so the wolves he raised will accept them as wolves--including eating amongst them. A rather extreme case, yet they haven't reported any hypervitaminosis A.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 04:29:38 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline MaximilianKohler

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 08:54:08 am »
Frozen meat is inferior. There is damage and loss to nutrients and maybe enzymes - google it :)

in-fact it's actually stickied at the top of the threads or directly here: http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/important-info-for-newbies/info-on-toxins-in-cooked-foods/
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 09:40:54 am by MaximilianKohler »

Offline Brother

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 05:54:58 am »
I get the same thing if I go on a liver binge. It got so bad that I would get bruised from using any workout machine that did not put it's load on my hands. It passes. I did not worry too much about it. I eat liver in cycles. I include it in my diet for a week a month and I don't exceed 100g a day like you. I have a 115kg frame if that makes a difference in trying to work out a dossage that does not cause it, if it has you worried.  

edit to add. I eat beef liver.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk