Author Topic: the most rpd-friendly country?  (Read 7578 times)

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
the most rpd-friendly country?
« on: August 23, 2010, 11:15:25 am »
... as far as supply and acceptance/social.

What do you think? 

Offline Hans89

• Elder
    • View Profile
Re: the most rpd-friendly country?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 01:53:36 pm »
I guess Siberia / where the Nenets live... Supply would be good in any area where you can go hunting easily.

Offline King Salmon

• Elder
  • Eating the best realistic diet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 01:59:53 pm »
Japan would be my vote.
"Eat the best of what's available and call it a day"

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 04:06:50 pm »
New Zealand, Australia !
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 04:23:26 pm »

Australia does have some good points but acceptance/social wouldn't be one.

I think Philippines looks pretty good.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline Hans89

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 05:11:46 pm »
Japan is a bad idea unless you are very rich. Meat is EXPENSIVE, not to mention organic or grassfed (if you can even find it locally). Japanese are polite and all, but not really known for their individualism. Thailand would be much better from a supply POV. AV said they have the best beef and Thailand is cheap. Not sure about social acceptance.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 05:25:57 pm »
If you want social acceptance, then the best thing would be for you to move to Los Angeles, around the malibu area. There are so many 1000s of Primal Dieters around there, so that primal diet potlucks and similiar RVAF diet gatherings are a common-place. Plus California is known for its eccentric population in general.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 12:45:28 am »
Australia does have some good points but acceptance/social wouldn't be one.
I think Philippines looks pretty good.

Yes, Philippines, I hope I could fly there once and meet GS but I need someone here to care of the poultry and house in my absence.

I was under the impression that there's a lot of raw foodists in NZ and in Australia too, but most are probably vegetarians. Anyway, social acceptance couldn't be worse than in France. New Zealanders and Australians are certainly more open minded, Germans as well.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 01:05:15 am »
Well, there's some "Body Ecology" movement in Australia which is RVAF-diet-oriented.

As for France, it's quite a haven for lovers of raw animal foods, though not as much as, say, Japan. My father used to enthuse about the higher quality of French cuisine and praised their raw dairy and raw oysters.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline King Salmon

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 10:48:08 am »
Japan is a bad idea unless you are very rich. Meat is EXPENSIVE, not to mention organic or grassfed (if you can even find it locally). Japanese are polite and all, but not really known for their individualism. Thailand would be much better from a supply POV. AV said they have the best beef and Thailand is cheap. Not sure about social acceptance.

If you're not sure about social acceptance,then you're not answering the question.Japan has it.They eat a ton of stuff raw.They eat raw animal foods individually, in groups,in private and in public.The meat supply might be expensive,but raw seafood is abundant.In addition,there was no mention of cost/price in the original question.Other benefits are that they're not big on dairy, flour(bread..etc) and sweet products.

Thailand has the best beef?Compared to Canada and New Zealand?Really?Of course Thailand and Phillipines are cheaper,but neither are known for their raw animal dishes.Phillipines are known for Bolabok(spelling?) and Chicken Adobo.Both are great but cooked.Thailand is known for its wonderful Pad Thai and curry dishes.Their meat/seafood dishes again are cooked.Japan is specifically KNOWN for raw animal foods:Sushi and Sashimi.

Los Angeles is not a country ;) I can't think of a more raw animal food abundant & accepting country than Japan.It couldn't possibly be any more obvious. -d

Offline Hanna

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 07:00:40 pm »
social acceptance couldn't be worse than in France.

Why do you think that?

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 11:45:39 pm »
well i've been in the US, thailand, laos, vietnam, cambodia, and the philippines while eating rpd. i'd say that all the countries in southeast asia definitely have cheap and easy to find meat. usually good quality, but sometimes it's suspect. the thing is there's no guarantee that your meat isn't grazing in some pesticide filled field. you just kinda have to hope that it's 'organic'. but, none of those countries really are accepting of raw meat eating (at least not raw beef). thailand has a good amount of raw shrimp dishes and fish sashimi is pretty normal in the philippines. also, the philippines has lots of japanese tourists, so lots of japanese restaurants. i actually had some raw stomach at one before i left manila  ;)

but in conclusion, any country that has genuine markets everyday will be fine as far as supply (with the suspect quality caveat). it's still a taboo to eat it raw though from what i've seen.

Offline Hans89

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 12:09:32 am »

If you're not sure about social acceptance,then you're not answering the question.Japan has it.They eat a ton of stuff raw.They eat raw animal foods individually, in groups,in private and in public.The meat supply might be expensive,but raw seafood is abundant.In addition,there was no mention of cost/price in the original question.Other benefits are that they're not big on dairy, flour(bread..etc) and sweet products.

Thailand has the best beef?Compared to Canada and New Zealand?Really?Of course Thailand and Phillipines are cheaper,but neither are known for their raw animal dishes.Phillipines are known for Bolabok(spelling?) and Chicken Adobo.Both are great but cooked.Thailand is known for its wonderful Pad Thai and curry dishes.Their meat/seafood dishes again are cooked.Japan is specifically KNOWN for raw animal foods:Sushi and Sashimi.

Los Angeles is not a country ;) I can't think of a more raw animal food abundant & accepting country than Japan.It couldn't possibly be any more obvious. -d

You got that wrong. Japanese do eat a lot of things raw, but if you eat raw paleo, you will be regarded as crazy. Japanese don't like individualists. As long as you have the "white guy" bonus, they will accept it and even show curiosity, but if you want to do business with Japanese you better share that cooked food with them. Sushi means rice with vinegar, btw.

Also you can't live from raw seafood alone. I can see there would be a major problem in finding a good supply of raw fat. If you want to eat high carb instead of high fat, be prepared for fruit prices that will blow your mind.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 01:58:37 am »
Why do you think that?

Because the art of cooking is highly praised in France, it’s something almost holy; meals last hours. Eating raw is not a social problem in Germany, but it seems to generate more indignation in France where we are easily considered as crazy sectarian fools. I don’t hide the fact that I eat raw, but many do by fear of problems.
 -d 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 12:32:54 am by TylerDurden »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 02:05:22 am »
Because the art of cooking is highly praised in France, it’s something almost holly; meals last hours. Eating raw is not a social problem in Germany, but it seems to generate more indignation in France where we are easily considered as crazy sectarian fools. I don’t hide the fact that I eat raw, but many do by fear of problems.
 -d 

Perhaps. But it's telling that raw dairy is still so big in France that a recent attempt by the 5 biggest dairy-sellers to corrupt the usual French government standards re dairy(which, more or less, stipulate that only raw dairy is of the highest quality) failed utterly. And the French do still have customs such as eating oysters raw, quite unlike the US where they can steam them etc.

The Spanish are THE worst re meals. I remember trying to eat at restaurants and French guests who'd gotten used to Spanish customs, and finding that breakfast started at 10am at the earliest, with lunch starting from 4pm, and dinner at 1am. Ridiculous!
" Ron Paul.

Offline King Salmon

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2010, 02:27:13 am »
Hans89,I didn't say that Japan was the perfect place.I'm saying it's the best overall compared to other countries.I don't think anyone can come up with a "better" country overall.Price is not in the equation.Who says you can't live on raw seafood alone?I didn't get the memo ;) I agree with you on the subject of fats,but Paleo man ate what he could find.If there was only fish,then that's what he would eat.

There might be a small area somewhere(like L.A. or some island I don't know about) that is better,but in terms of a country,Japan wins.

Offline Hans89

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2010, 04:49:53 am »
Hans89,I didn't say that Japan was the perfect place.I'm saying it's the best overall compared to other countries.I don't think anyone can come up with a "better" country overall.Price is not in the equation.Who says you can't live on raw seafood alone?I didn't get the memo ;) I agree with you on the subject of fats,but Paleo man ate what he could find.If there was only fish,then that's what he would eat.

There might be a small area somewhere(like L.A. or some island I don't know about) that is better,but in terms of a country,Japan wins.

Have you ever been to Japan? How can you say it's the best "overall" when the social acceptance is nil? Yeah there are certain raw dishes, but if you just buy meat at the butcher and eat it raw, you will be considered crazy just as much as in the US. Why is the cost not in the equation? Do you have unlimited funds available? OK I'll take your word that it's possible to live on raw seafood alone. Personally I don't think that that would be sustainable over an extended time and I couldn't bear it anyway.

What you'd have to be looking for would be a country that allows for great freedom of individual expression and with availability of grass or wild meat and wild caught seafood. Japan has one of those three, and imho the least important one.

Offline King Salmon

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2010, 08:12:11 am »
Very good Hans,you have your criteria for your version of the perfect place.So,where is it? ;)

Offline Hans89

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2010, 03:06:38 pm »
Very good Hans,you have your criteria for your version of the perfect place.So,where is it? ;)

Like I said before, you could live with the Nenets  :D
Or anywhere where you can supply yourself by hunting.
Germany is a good place for individualists, and people at least recognize that some people eat differently (like vegetarians...) whereas that is pretty much an unknown concept to many Japanese. However, you'd have to make sure you have good supplies, so either live in a big city or a rural place where you have the farm nearby.
I was thinking Thailand because of the cheap supplies, great beef and lots of fruit, and Thai people seem to be much more open than Japanese, but I don't really know for lack of real-world experience. I'd like to travel there some time though... A lot of Germans retire in Thailand, seems like a good place to live.

If you want raw seafood, you might as well choose Korea over Japan, because it's much cheaper there. Koreans eat RAF dishes just like the Japanese do. If you live in Taiwan, you can have both raw seafood and an ample supply of fruit and coconuts. But again, you'd have to have a job that keeps you from having business dinners. I mean it's not like you can just order sashimi instead, not every restaurant has sashimi.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2010, 01:47:40 am »
Because the art of cooking is highly praised in France, it’s something almost holly; meals last hours. Eating raw is not a social problem in Germany, but it seems to generate more indignation in France where we are easily considered as crazy sectarian fools. I don’t hide the fact that I eat raw, but many do by fear of problems.
 -d 
Iguana,
LOL I have spent a lot of time traveling to and fro Saint Pierre et Miquellon a French colony in the south of Newfoundland Canada. You are certainly correct about the eating habits of the French. However it ain't paleo!

I have a friend who is from China and lived for awhile in Japan. At some point I had read a book called "Humanure"
http://humanurehandbook.com/album_toilets/album_toilets.html
which is about safely composting human manure. They talk in the book about the method of reusing human manure called "night soil". Instead of composting human waste by allowing it to heat to a high temperature naturally over a long period of time, (a process which essentially makes it healthy and ready to be used as a fertilizer) they take the raw sewage and pour it into ponds every night. Then they spread it over the farmland before it has a chance to break down. This means that all of the pathogens in the manure are still ready and rarin to go (excuse the pun)
As a consequence he told me that in Japan and other countries (Korea and China) you even boil lettuce before you eat it unless you want to get sick.
Cheers
Al

Offline Hans89

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2010, 04:04:23 am »
As a consequence he told me that in Japan and other countries (Korea and China) you even boil lettuce before you eat it unless you want to get sick.

LOL that's why you shouldn't rely on heresay...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk