Author Topic: A day in the life of TylerDurden  (Read 369456 times)

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: A day in the life of TylerDurden
« Reply #850 on: October 05, 2012, 07:24:43 am »
They'll also be apparently offering larvae(I presume that means grubs, hopefully raw).I'm hoping they will provide generous portions.

Let us know what happens.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #851 on: October 08, 2012, 01:03:56 am »
Well, it was a disaster. Not only did I stupidly rely on failing public transport, causing major delays, but that taste-exhibit was, mostly,  a joke. I was promised seaweed, lice, insect grubs.  I think(?)- I  got a tiny bit of seaweed(or just green stuff?) along with a tiny bit of  pemmican, so, at least I can say I've tried pemmican. It was very dark and full of nodules, and didn't look at all like the pemmican I've seen online. I also ate some grasshoppers, all cooked, of course and drank some wine, supposedly made according to palaeolithic-era rules. But there was none of the beavermeat, lice or grubs as advertised. I got some astronaut-designed meal(all sticky no doubt due to zero-G environments), and ate some genuine pulverised rock-salt . The rock-salt, unlike the useless rock-salt/sea-salt I've gotten from organic supermarkets in the past  did not give me the usual  nasty feeling in the mouth etc.,  no doubt due to the extra minerals in it.  But, other than that, I mostly just got joke-stalls where they served standard fruit and veg that one can get in any Western supermarket or, worse, stalls which served plastic models of certain foods like shellfish etc.! Indeed, there were one or two  occasions where I ate(or almost ate) something before I was told by staff not to do so because it was either plastic or some toxic thing that needed to be cooked. The beaver-stall, instead of providing beaver-meat, had small biscuits on display. I am definitely going to complain.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: October 08, 2012, 02:23:33 am »
I am definitely going to complain.

LOL! I hope that you haven't eaten too much plastic on this wonderful Hunter Gatherer Traditional Food Festival..

Löwenherz
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 02:45:42 am by TylerDurden »

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: October 10, 2012, 03:37:06 am »
Tyler - you probably would be better off just going to a pet store! There you can buy on the cheap all sorts of insects to feast on live - at least in the USA you can that is. If there is a pet store that specializes in lizards and snakes that would be better. I would feed them well for a week before eating though. The word "grub" often refers to the pupa stage of development. There are many different species.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #854 on: October 10, 2012, 03:54:18 am »
I might consider buying worms for food. Not so keen on insects other than witchetty grubs and the like.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #855 on: October 11, 2012, 08:27:45 am »
Most of the things sold as "worms" are actually "grubs" - aka pupae.
Mealworms are the pupae of the darkling beetle for instance.

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: October 13, 2012, 02:13:58 am »
I might consider buying worms for food.

Why?

Aren't commercially available worms and insects usually fed with all kinds of unhealthy stuff?

Löwenherz

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: October 13, 2012, 02:15:58 am »
Geoff,

have you posted the results of your blood tests anywhere?

Löwenherz

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #858 on: October 13, 2012, 03:10:17 am »
Too much hassle. Maybe in a couple of weeks I'll find an Internet Cafe that can scan the paper, but who knows?

Re worms:- If I feed them on healthy foods they should be fine.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: October 13, 2012, 05:03:54 am »
That's why I suggested feeding them good for at least a week before eating them.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: October 13, 2012, 10:26:21 am »
That's why I suggested feeding them good for at least a week before eating them.

Good point. Maybe feed them some fresh wild-caught seafood and/or seaweed.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: October 13, 2012, 11:04:10 am »
earthworms eat garden scraps, no fat though

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: October 13, 2012, 12:49:09 pm »
What you feed will have to depend on the bug. Some eat feces and make it into a high quality food source! It's like any farming - you just need a pure source of the being's natural diet.

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: October 14, 2012, 03:23:47 pm »
Do worms really taste good??

Offline Inger

• Chief
  • 38 yo Norwegian RVAF s.-06, 90% carniv.
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: October 14, 2012, 06:35:10 pm »
I would like to see your labs, Tyler.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: October 14, 2012, 07:10:41 pm »

? Then you would eat as well the meat of any animal as long as it has been fed "good for at least a week" ?  :(
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: October 31, 2012, 08:12:36 am »
? Then you would eat as well the meat of any animal as long as it has been fed "good for at least a week" ?  :(

Good point Iguana. I say AT LEAST a week because then you would be assured that the gut-loaded material at least wasn't bad. Also, many bugs have extremely short digestion times as well as short lifespans. A week to some bugs would be like feeding a cow well for a year. Another thing is that bugs aren't usually fed as "off" of the their natural diets when being raised for industry as cows are. Most mealworms for instance are give actual "meal" of grains (a natural food) which to me is unlike feeding candy to cows as we do! For instance earthworms - unbeknownst to most - do not eat actual garbage or feces. The actual food of the earthworm is the bacteria and microbes that eat those things. Worms just take the other stuff and send it out the other end in a form that is great for plants and in the process create and aerate the soil. Because earthworms arrive where there is compost and take it in through their mouths it is assumed by many that earthworms subsist on the compost itself. So, as long as the material the worms are in is capable of supporting the microbial life that worms need to survive it will support earthworms - so people that raise earthworms are careful not to put anything into the mix that would hurt the delicate fabric of life (eg. colored paper which can kill the microbes). Since these animals are actually easier to provide good food for and are produced in dense masses where adding things like pesticides and heavy metals would endanger the farming process - believe it or not - they are fed usually much better than cows to begin with. It's a lot easier and desirable economically to provide cheap meal for mealworms and superworms and non-toxic materials for red wigglers than it is to provide large acreage of good land for cows.

It of course would be better to feed the bugs particularly well for a few generations before eating - not a hard thing to do at all - but just for tasting to see if someone likes them, a week or two should suffice to not do much harm to Tyler.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 08:20:06 am by Dorothy »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #867 on: November 09, 2012, 06:10:58 am »
Well, I got an unwanted, unexpected Christmas present in advance from my brother - a dental hygiene appointment. One where they use those ghastly miniature  electric saws to get rid of the outer layer from the teeth.  Wholly unnecessary. I also was not happy with the dentist mentioning my bleeding gums as being a "bad" thing  as the only reason they bled was because his bloody instrument/saw had dug deeply into my gums all over the place.  The trouble with these quacks is that one is compelled to go again for further sessions. I have 2 more to do. Well, I'm not the one who's paying for all this, but I just resent the wasted time involved.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: November 09, 2012, 07:45:02 am »
Three dental sessions? That suggests plaque buildup and possible periodontal disease. Did the dentist mention that at all? Normally, cleanings should not cause much bleeding unless you have plaque buildup and gingivitis or periodontal disease. I used to have more bleeding, plaque and a worsening cavity in the past before I added certain pro-dental foods to my diet, including some recommended by Ramiel Nagel, author of Cure Tooth Decay http://www.curetoothdecay.com/. I also found an excellent holistic/biological dentist via his site. I'm very pleased. My dentist is so good that one couple sold their house and moved so they could be closer to him.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 07:50:38 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: November 09, 2012, 12:49:41 pm »
I do not let them polish my teeth.  I just say No, thanks.  So they just remove some plaque from hard to reach areas and that's it.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #870 on: November 09, 2012, 01:12:02 pm »
Ghastly miniature electric saw?  :o Get rid of the outer layer of the teeth?  l)

In my foreign country, they use a miniature electric ultrasound probe to remove plaque at the gum line in one visit. They also use that instrument and other sharpened instruments of torture to perform what they call "root planing," which removes plaque even closer to the gum line. Root-planing takes several appointments. The idea is to remove gum-irritating plaque that can harbor bacteria.

I used to need a lot of plaque removal. Now, I use Dr. Nagel's information, plus advice from mizar5.com. My dentist loves my dental hygiene.

You don't have my sympathies, TD. If you have plaque and bleeding gums, you need to take care of it.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #871 on: November 09, 2012, 01:18:10 pm »
I did deep cleaning to get rid of my built up plaque like yours.  I got a good biological dentist.  It was beneficial for me.  The bleeding gums were addressed.  As it was also addressed by tooth drops.  Works in combination.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #872 on: November 09, 2012, 03:59:16 pm »
Just to make things clear once more, I never once have had bleeding gums or loosened teeth  since a couple of months after going rawpalaeo. Before that point, I did indeed have bleeding gums and severely weakened teeth, but not since(well, OK, there were the two or three short-lived  zero-carb experiments lasting 3 to 6 weeks each where I suddenly developed the same symptoms, but that's all). So, when a dentist uses a nasty little  instrument with a metal point to poke into my gums hard until they start bleeding, I do NOT take it as a sign of periodontal disease.

My teeth have been ultra-strong since going rawpalaeo.  I   use toothpaste still   but it's really not necessary.

" Ron Paul.

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: November 14, 2012, 12:43:07 am »
I used to have more bleeding, plaque and a worsening cavity in the past before I added certain pro-dental foods to my diet, including some recommended by Ramiel Nagel, author of Cure Tooth Decay http://www.curetoothdecay.com/. I also found an excellent holistic/biological dentist via his site. I'm very pleased. My dentist is so good that one couple sold their house and moved so they could be closer to him.

Can you tell me what Ramiel Nagel recommends against bleeding and plaque ?

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: November 14, 2012, 07:01:31 am »
Quite a few things. Check out his website http://www.curetoothdecay.com/
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk