Author Topic: A day in the life of TylerDurden  (Read 368918 times)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Re: A day in the life of TylerDurden
« Reply #200 on: October 14, 2009, 11:21:41 pm »
Well, obviously, one shouldn't eat plants at the same time as meats. ...
What is the instinctive explanation for the natural origin of the necessity of food separating?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #201 on: October 15, 2009, 02:00:00 am »
What is the instinctive explanation for the natural origin of the necessity of food separating?

All I know is the claim re food-combining gurus that different enzymes are needed for digesting different foods. As for palaeo times, I'm sure that there were far fewer opportunities to mix different foods(even of different kinds of meat) as they would only have available what they hunted or gathered right then, for the most part.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 15, 2009, 05:32:40 am »
Yeah, but didn't they bring some of what they hunted back to the camp/village, to be shared with everyone along with the plant foods that had been gathered that day? I'm not getting a picture in my mind of how this food separation worked. I would think that they would have liked meat/fat better than wild greens, so that when their favorite fruits were not available, it seems to me they would have eaten the meat first. I'm just speculating here, trying to get a grasp of this unfamiliar subject. Do you have any sources where I can read up on this?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

William

« Reply #203 on: October 15, 2009, 05:47:06 am »
The food-combining experts will be talking of cooked, and if it's true that cooked meat provokes acid in the stomach, then adding alkalizing veggies would somewhat neutralize that acid, and give us that once-familiar full or stuffed or bloated feeling AKA indigestion.
Combining raw meat and alkalizing veggies might not be so bad, but why eat them anyway?

IIRC any sweet must not be mixed with meat, that includes fruit.

Fat is neutral, so can be eaten with anything. They would also mean cooked fat.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 15, 2009, 05:49:08 am »
IIRC any sweet must not be mixed with meat, that includes fruit.

i agree that combining meat with greens or fruit is a bad idea, but i've found that raw honey goes down very well with meat and fat.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #205 on: October 15, 2009, 05:26:00 pm »
Yeah, but didn't they bring some of what they hunted back to the camp/village, to be shared with everyone along with the plant foods that had been gathered that day? I'm not getting a picture in my mind of how this food separation worked. I would think that they would have liked meat/fat better than wild greens, so that when their favorite fruits were not available, it seems to me they would have eaten the meat first. I'm just speculating here, trying to get a grasp of this unfamiliar subject. Do you have any sources where I can read up on this?
Food combining is too vague a theory for me to know of any reasonable evidence. It seems mostly based on anecdotal reports.

Re fruit:- Fruit gets far more quickly digested than meats so , if eaten, c.20 minutes before the meat, there would be no issues. As far as fruit is concerned, I prefer to eat the fruit first, myself, I've always thought that the usual mainstream-diet--routine of vegetables first, meats second, then fruit/desert, was wrongheaded.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 16, 2009, 07:15:40 am »
Re fruit:- Fruit gets far more quickly digested than meats so , if eaten, c.20 minutes before the meat, there would be no issues. As far as fruit is concerned, I prefer to eat the fruit first, myself, I've always thought that the usual mainstream-diet--routine of vegetables first, meats second, then fruit/desert, was wrongheaded.
Now that makes intuitive sense to me. Plus, fruits and honeycomb/grubcomb would have been rare treats and any that wasn't preserved for long term storage (as in dried berries and stored honey or meat) probably got gobbled up quickly, since fruits go bad quickly when they aren't dried, and many other animals (like some birds) would also have competed for them, and sugar is quite a powerful stimulator for humans.

Don't know how true it is, but I read that the Lakota/Dakota used to eat berries first, before eating bison meat. The idea allegedly was that the fruit acids would aid digestion. Only problem with that tip for me (beyond the carbs) was that I found that some fruit acids upset my sensitive stomach and esophagus.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #207 on: October 18, 2009, 04:13:20 am »
Today, I experienced another epiphany. Every 2-3 years or so, since going rawpalaeo and cutting out raw dairy, I've felt a sudden increase in concentration/alertness etc. This isn't the same as general health or removal of past pre-rawpalaeo symptoms(that was solved by c.2-3 years after going rawpalaeo), it's just an astonishing boost that is rather unexplainable.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 18, 2009, 08:47:00 am »
Interesting. I've had increasing concentration/alertness too, but I don't recall most of it being sudden, except for one point, three and a half weeks after going gluten free. Any idea why your increases have come suddenly rather than gradually? Did you connect these incidents with anything?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #209 on: October 18, 2009, 06:10:34 pm »
Interesting. I've had increasing concentration/alertness too, but I don't recall most of it being sudden, except for one point, three and a half weeks after going gluten free. Any idea why your increases have come suddenly rather than gradually? Did you connect these incidents with anything?

That's just it, there was no corresponding action or food that happened at the same time. Same happened with the detoxes I had in the first 2-3 years of the diet, they would just occur randomly without warning every 2 to 4 months(the only exception was the first time I used edible clay when a detox happened almost immediately after).
" Ron Paul.

William

« Reply #210 on: October 18, 2009, 10:45:31 pm »
What happens is that the CIA's local dumbing-down transmitter blows a fuse or something, so we can think clearly until it's fixed.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 19, 2009, 07:13:05 am »
That's just it, there was no corresponding action or food that happened at the same time. Same happened with the detoxes I had in the first 2-3 years of the diet, they would just occur randomly without warning every 2 to 4 months(the only exception was the first time I used edible clay when a detox happened almost immediately after).
Do you still believe in using edible clays for detox?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #212 on: October 19, 2009, 06:33:13 pm »
Do you still believe in using edible clays for detox?

Well, they worked once for me, wonderfully,but not since then. So, I think they do work but perhaps only for people with specific toxicity issues.So, I do recommend their use.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #213 on: October 20, 2009, 08:30:29 pm »
I recently got tired of having to wait for a wild hare carcass to thaw so put it in the bath and poured just hot water from the relevant tap over the carcass(wrapped in vacuum-packs) up to halfway up the carcass. I left it there for a few minutes while it warmed up and switched the carcass upisde down to get the other side thawed. My question is, for those who have separate hot and cold taps:- what is the temperature of the hot-water tap, generally? 
" Ron Paul.

William

« Reply #214 on: October 20, 2009, 09:08:53 pm »
My question is, for those who have separate hot and cold taps:- what is the temperature of the hot-water tap, generally? 

140F

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #215 on: October 21, 2009, 04:34:15 pm »
140F

Thanks. I'd hoped it would be lower. Ah well, I'll just have to take longer to thaw my wild hare carcasses.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #216 on: November 02, 2009, 06:18:44 pm »
My irises are clearing up a little more(perhaps due to the krill-oil?). It wouldn't surprise me if my eyes will be  completely green in a couple of years.
" Ron Paul.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #217 on: November 02, 2009, 06:51:08 pm »
Same happened with the detoxes I had in the first 2-3 years of the diet, they would just occur randomly without warning every 2 to 4 months(the only exception was the first time I used edible clay when a detox happened almost immediately after).

Which clays did you use, and how did you use them?  Some are raw, some not, etc.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #218 on: November 02, 2009, 07:01:51 pm »
I used edible French Green Clay. I ate 1 tablespoonful a day at the time and sometimes used it in the bath.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #219 on: November 21, 2009, 08:52:59 pm »
I recently tried snuff. I didn't really need it as I only used it previously in pre-rawpalaeo days to clear my nose of all the mucus caused by dairy-consumption. I just tried it to see if I got any boosting effect from it, but nothing happened. Anyway, it was an interesting experiment and it's over.

Incidentally, I forgot to mention:- one of my occasional dodgy foods is raw, freshly-squeezed fruit-juices; there's no dairy or soy in them, as sometimes is the case, and the fruit is not organic. But it's handy because there are few places in central London where one can straightaway find a rawpalaeoish substitute. I only drink 1 or 2 large glasses every fortnight, naturally.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #220 on: November 23, 2009, 12:10:58 am »
What I've always found odd is that I've never been affected by marijuana or tobacco either pre- or post-rawpalaeo, yet seem to get high on certain foods. Anyway, for the first time in 2 years(I've tried raw dairy for short periods twice  before during my 8 years on this diet since giving it up as a mainstay) I've had some raw dairy and am now feeling much like a crack addict on a high. It seems that I'm even more affected by dairy than in previous times. This coincides with a growing food-intolerance of sorts towards cooked foods. Yesterday, I tried some raw sushi and vomited it all out within a few hours. It appears that even cooked rice is now a problem for me, unless eaten in small amounts.
" Ron Paul.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 23, 2009, 01:04:53 am »
man, i feell like im also losing the ability to digest cooked stuff. yesterday i found out the hard way that steamed sweet potatoes act pretty much like a colon cleanse for me, haha. i ate one very small sweet potato and immediately got a headache, nausea, and brain fog. and hour later it all pretty much fell out of me. i was doing this as a test to see whether i could tolerate some cooked food at thanksgiving, but apparently i can't. i mean, it wasnt that bad but definitely not fun. maybe i can tolerate cooked meat a little better. we'll see

William

« Reply #222 on: November 23, 2009, 06:03:17 am »
½ cup (dry) of sticky rice, eaten alone late last winter.
I was high/euphoric all the next day, and full of energy.
Other stuff more recently give the same results yy got when in small quantities, and recall the dreaded heart problems in larger quantities.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 23, 2009, 10:41:15 am »
Yesterday, I tried some raw sushi and vomited it all out within a few hours. It appears that even cooked rice is now a problem for me, unless eaten in small amounts.

You live in London.  Don't your sushi restaurants have the option of Sashimi-style (substituting raw greens/cucumber/daikon for rice)? That's how I always order it.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #224 on: November 23, 2009, 09:34:46 pm »
You live in London.  Don't your sushi restaurants have the option of Sashimi-style (substituting raw greens/cucumber/daikon for rice)? That's how I always order it.

All the sushi I buy generally comes with rice.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk