Author Topic: Mercola Raw Food article  (Read 10383 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Mercola Raw Food article
« on: August 13, 2008, 06:03:00 pm »
Here it is(Mercola only advocates a partially-raw diet, but this article is useful, nevertheless):-

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2002/05/22/cooked-food-part-one.aspx

"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
Re: Mercola Raw Food article
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 10:10:44 pm »
Mercola eats 85% of his meat raw now he says.

I keep thinking he must be making a fair buck. Does he get sick of pushing all those products?
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 10:19:22 pm »
Mercola eats 85% of his meat raw now he says.

I keep thinking he must be making a fair buck. Does he get sick of pushing all those products?

Well, like I said before,  gurus(with rare exceptions like Aajonus) make most of their money from selling supplements, not from selling books or doing consultations - there's just such a huge profit-margin in supplements.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 10:43:11 pm »
Has anybody here actually had a consult with Aajonus?

Albert Camus

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 10:55:30 pm »
I've not had a personal consultation with Aajonus but I bought some tapes of his past consultations, and wasn't too impressed. In practically every session, he tried to state that his patient/consultee was overdosed with toxic amounts of heavy-metals such as mercury or nickel or whatever - I could accept a few of his patients as having such an issue, but 95%+?. On the other hand, numerous consultees claim that his insights re which organs were the most in need of repair etc., were mostly dead-on-target.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 11:55:03 pm »
If I had the money I would have had a consult with him over the winter. I did go to the all day lecture, and believe me it was all day. I left before it was over and it was around seven by then already, and he was still doing mini-consults that night.

I emailed Mercola about doing nutritional research and got back a stock sounding email that made me think that he does very well for himself now and isn't interested in research.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 06:47:50 am »
Mercola claims his reason for selling supplements is to fund his defense of lawsuits made against him by big pharma etc
He's allowed to make a buck it just shits me about how many new crappy supplements he keeps pushing. His website is one of the most popular sites in health on the web so he must be making  bit.

I would see Aajonus as $300 is reasonable, I've paid big $$$ before for some dubious treatment such as Kinesiology, physiotherapy, supplements which do nothing.

Albert Camus

Offline stevesurv

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 09:14:03 am »
Mercola claims his reason for selling supplements is to fund his defense of lawsuits made against him by big pharma etc
He's allowed to make a buck it just shits me about how many new crappy supplements he keeps pushing. His website is one of the most popular sites in health on the web so he must be making  bit.

I would see Aajonus as $300 is reasonable, I've paid big $$$ before for some dubious treatment such as Kinesiology, physiotherapy, supplements which do nothing.

Despite all of the marketing, there's still a load of great info on his site that one can read for free. I've been reading his site for years now and have only bought a few things. It's not like the stuff he sells is crap.

Offline stevesurv

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 09:19:14 am »
Well, I take that back. There are some questionable items on his site for sale. Oh well. It's still a very useful site. Just don't buy anything! ;)

Satya

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 09:37:04 am »
Yeah, he used to be more honorable, imho.  I agree with his anti-cell phone stance, although he is wrong that it is the modulated signal and the carrier wave.  It is the signal itself that is the problem, most likely.  But even still, he sells these beads and headset shit that is not going to make the health hazard go away, even if it might be reduced to some extent. 

Point blank, you are risking your health using cell phones and wireless connections if they are near your body.  Period.  Learn the physics, look at the health risks.  We are probably on the verge of a brain tumor epidemic, and before you know it, cell phones will be the next tobacco.  DH was at an IEEE meeting once where the founder of Motorola swore off mobile phones due to an aucostic neuroma (I think, it was definitely some sort of head tumor on the same side he held his phone. (Ted Kennedy - same thing.)).  Anyway, this was over 10 years ago.  It takes a long time for tumors to form, and RF radiation is insidious in that you don't know it's there.  Be prudent and limit your usage of wireless devices.  I have never owned a cell phone and do not plan on it any time soon.

Be smart: Do NOT trust anyone's advice when they are trying to sell you anything, as there is an inherent conflict of interest.  Easier said than done.  But I'll tell you, I have learned so much more on discussion groups such as this one than I ever did from the likes of Mercola, WAPF, Doug Graham, Shazzie, you-name-it.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 10:26:26 am by Satya »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 02:28:07 pm »
Despite all of the marketing, there's still a load of great info on his site that one can read for free. I've been reading his site for years now and have only bought a few things. It's not like the stuff he sells is crap.

Some of Mercola's articles require you to put in your e-mail-address before you can read it(I presume that encourages junk-mail).

As regards his supplement-peddling, I suppose it's unavoidable. You have to bear in mind that people nowadays have very little free time, and also expect a quick fix for everything, and often don't mind the expense. In my own case, I know a lot of people  who go in heavily for the kind of Co-enzyme Q10 tablets/multivitamins etc.  that  Dr Mercola  and others peddle. They see these supplements basically as health-in-a-bottle or a miracle anti-aging cure,  and therefore don't feel the need to make an effort to replace their junk-food diet etc. I guess what I'm saying is that there's a huge number of gullible people out there and Mercola naturally responds more to those kind of people as they bring in the money. Still, he is brave enough to promote raw foods including raw animal foods, which most diet-gurus would be terrified to do.

" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 03:13:15 pm »
By the way, is anyone actually trying the krill-oil supplement? Does it work? Is it as effective as raw cod liver oil?  I'm curious as it's a new fad which is being mentioned all over the place.I'd had the impression that krill oil was only available in capsule format and maybe not even raw or  filled with preservatives, though I may be wrong.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 03:35:25 pm by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 12:08:16 am »
I heard David Wolfe is peddling krill oil now too, and furthermore that the krill population is suffering which can cause a whole slew of problems.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 01:53:57 am »
I heard David Wolfe is peddling krill oil now too, and furthermore that the krill population is suffering which can cause a whole slew of problems.

I thought David Wolfe was a Raw Vegan? Mind you, I've noticed that Anthony Robbins, the self-help guru, has in recent times advocated eating omega-3-rich fish and fish-oils, in order to make up for deficiencies in the Vegan/Vegetarian diet he previously recommended. It would be great if Tony Robbins started promoting a RAF diet, at some stage - can you imagine the publicity that would result?
" Ron Paul.

Offline stevesurv

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 06:11:34 am »

Krill oil is supposed to be a highly renewable resource. Much more renewable than the fish they get fish oil from. Mercola describes it in a number of his videos.

xylothrill

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 11:44:26 am »
At least it's something. 50% of volume isn't much if it's just salad and juice but it's a start. I'm glad to see him mention how the raw ostrich isn't much different from how he'd usually eat it at med rare. It might get the ball rolling for some of his readers and get them investigating more.

Satya,

You should hang that picture of your mucoid plaque up around here somewhere.  :)

Craig

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 12:31:36 pm »
Yeah, he used to be more honorable, imho.  I agree with his anti-cell phone stance, although he is wrong that it is the modulated signal and the carrier wave.  It is the signal itself that is the problem, most likely.  But even still, he sells these beads and headset shit that is not going to make the health hazard go away, even if it might be reduced to some extent. 

Point blank, you are risking your health using cell phones and wireless connections if they are near your body.  Period.  Learn the physics, look at the health risks.  We are probably on the verge of a brain tumor epidemic, and before you know it, cell phones will be the next tobacco.  DH was at an IEEE meeting once where the founder of Motorola swore off mobile phones due to an aucostic neuroma (I think, it was definitely some sort of head tumor on the same side he held his phone. (Ted Kennedy - same thing.)).  Anyway, this was over 10 years ago.  It takes a long time for tumors to form, and RF radiation is insidious in that you don't know it's there.  Be prudent and limit your usage of wireless devices.  I have never owned a cell phone and do not plan on it any time soon.

Be smart: Do NOT trust anyone's advice when they are trying to sell you anything, as there is an inherent conflict of interest.  Easier said than done.  But I'll tell you, I have learned so much more on discussion groups such as this one than I ever did from the likes of Mercola, WAPF, Doug Graham, Shazzie, you-name-it.

Man that sucks cause I bought a bunch of these http://www.bioprotechnology.com/ for phones. But I definitely agree with the statement about people trying to sell you things.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2008, 06:49:52 pm »
By the way, is anyone actually trying the krill-oil supplement? Does it work? Is it as effective as raw cod liver oil?  I'm curious as it's a new fad which is being mentioned all over the place.I'd had the impression that krill oil was only available in capsule format and maybe not even raw or  filled with preservatives, though I may be wrong.

He used to promote Melrose fish oil which a bought. I didn't notice any difference but I was eating crap at the time.

After reading TRFLWD and then finding the Yahoo RVAF forum my world was turned on it's head! It was too much to take in.

Albert Camus

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk