Author Topic: my so called journal  (Read 123279 times)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Re: my so called journal
« Reply #125 on: March 24, 2010, 05:35:53 am »
Maybe try sharing your interests with Stephan and asking for suggestions?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 24, 2010, 06:28:55 pm »
If that is the same as microbiology, I suggest you look into the death rate of microbiologists before deciding.

It's a little different. I don't think I would share the death rate of a group based on profession, since probably 100% of microbiologists or cellular biologists do not eat anything near a RPD. What I'm doing now is probably bad for my health, chemistry.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 24, 2010, 06:29:31 pm »
Maybe try sharing your interests with Stephan and asking for suggestions?

Definitely. I hope I get some encouraging feedback.

William

« Reply #128 on: March 24, 2010, 11:09:06 pm »
It's a little different. I don't think I would share the death rate of a group based on profession, since probably 100% of microbiologists or cellular biologists do not eat anything near a RPD. What I'm doing now is probably bad for my health, chemistry.

The unusually high death rate noticed was "accidental", such as a car leaving the roadway and nailing someone walking on a sidewalk, and self-strangling with sugical rubber hose.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 11, 2010, 09:35:11 am »
as another possible contact, heres something I just came across:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/13/AR2008051300583_2.html?sid=ST2008051302252

"As long as this meat is still microbiologically safe, it is at its best raw or frozen fresh."

Harriet V. Kuhnlein, professor of human nutrition at the Centre for Indigenous Peoples' Nutrition and Environment at McGill University in Montreal.

GL

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 13, 2010, 07:37:06 am »
Nice find, thanks!

I have been thinking long and hard about it and am leaning towards the paleo biology department at U Penn. I maybe could study human bones from paleo times and use some kind of technique to find out what they were eating. Things like tooth wear, bone composition, etc.

I emailed that Stephan guy and he said I should get into endocrinology or immunology. Those sound borderline medical to me. And when I really think about my day to day life I believe I would be happier going on archaeological digs and looking at bones more than putting tubes into machines.

Since there's not an unlimited choice of topics out there, and mostly because certain academic paths have been created that you can't really stray from that much, my goal from idea to execution appears convoluted.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 17, 2010, 06:31:48 am »
I want to do a zero carb experiment. I'm thinking of controlling strictly (as I don't really now, just eat mostly raw meat and it works out to low carb) my carb intake for a while and then cutting them out completely, so as to make the transition less abrupt. Maybe two weeks at 50 or less grams, two weeks at 25 or less, then zero.

My goal with this experiment is to find out if I can treat my flaky skin (mostly scalp) with very low or zero carbs. Other than occasional low energy, my skin being flaky is the only health problem that I seem to have. And my skin isn't dry either, which leads me to believe it's exogenous candida.

Does anyone have experience treating something like that by cutting back or out carbs? How long might it take to see results?

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #132 on: May 17, 2010, 06:56:33 am »
Does anyone have experience treating something like that by cutting back or out carbs? How long might it take to see results?

I've been successful treating my Tinea Versicolor by eating raw carnivore. It used to be really bad (so extensive that I looked tan on my arms because there was no skin free of it) but 6+ months of raw carnivore had it almost completely gone. The 2 weeks or so where I splurged with carbs brought it back noticeably but it's diminishing again as I keep on the straight and narrow.
For the record the Tinea has gone hand-in-hand with the Candida waxing & waning so it's obviously somehow connected. For all I know it's not even Tinea as there was no testing done just a doctor's visual observation and identification.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 17, 2010, 08:41:46 am »
I don't have extensive ZC experience, but I've had the worst itchy flaky scalp. I don't think it would have flaked by itself on my shoulders like in the commercials, but if I scratched it myself it was massive coverage :). I had terrible fatigue as well, so that in addition to previous serious health history, assumed it to be candida. I've probably had 1-2 fruits per 2 wk on average for 4 months, and that cleared up any scalp flaking pretty quick -even wetting/washing only once per week- but only slight improvements on the fatigue unfortunately. I take in some carbs from vegetables (juices) but that is pretty minimal, and so far feel more fatigue without when doing small spurts on totally ZC 1-2 wk max so far. As for transition it makes sense to me to eat mostly how you usually do, and eat some carbs every few days->week, and then drop them or not, rather than eating a restricted but set number of carbs per day.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 17, 2010, 10:05:34 am »
...Other than occasional low energy, my skin being flaky is the only health problem that I seem to have. And my skin isn't dry either, which leads me to believe it's exogenous candida.

Yes. It didn't take long. I vaguely recall about a week or so to see substantial results. I still get a little during the winter on my brow, forehead and scalp from dry, windy weather even when ZC, but much less than before. I've reintroduced some carbs and when I eat too much carbs the flaky skin comes back the next day.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 17, 2010, 11:23:37 am »
Yes. It didn't take long. I vaguely recall about a week or so to see substantial results. I still get a little during the winter on my brow, forehead and scalp from dry, windy weather even when ZC, but much less than before. I've reintroduced some carbs and when I eat too much carbs the flaky skin comes back the next day.

So do you think it's candida or something else? My belief is that most dry skin conditions come from either too little proper fats or candida. I don't think I could be seriously deficient in fats since I eat grass fed fat constantly, so I'm leaning towards the candida. I've never gone more than a week with zero carbs before. I don't plan on sticking with it forever, but it will be very interesting to me to see if it changes my skin, or maybe something else I'm not even looking for.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #136 on: May 17, 2010, 06:11:57 pm »
I used to get flaky skin a lot, but that went away on a raw, omnivorous diet.

As for the issues re getting used to raw zero-carb, there are 2 catches. 1 , of course, is the transitional period in which one starts getting various side-effects(minor to serious), which can start from a few days to c.2-3 weeks after going raw zero-carb but, usually, it seems that if you can go 6 weeks plus without a major incident, you'll get through that.

The other issue is that when one goes for a long time on raw,very low-carb, one commonly starts developing food-intolerances to fruits if one hasn't had those food-intolerances before. This is simply because the body changes re types of enzymes/bacteria used etc., so that it's more oriented towards a raw-meat-based diet and can't digest plant foods without poor absorption/minor stomach-upsets etc. occurring.
One can get used again re digesting raw carbs  without incident, over time, if one pigs out on them enough, albeit with a few minor side-effects as you transition back. So, I reckon it would probably make more sense to go into(or out of) raw zero-carb very quickly without a VLC stage.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 17, 2010, 07:30:40 pm »
Kyle try 2 weeks zero carb, that should kill it.

Marrow is great for shiny hair also.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 18, 2010, 10:17:59 am »
Kyle try 2 weeks zero carb, that should kill it.

Marrow is great for shiny hair also.

2 weeks that's it? Reads too good to be true. I've eaten a lot of marrow recently, and I've always had pretty good hair. My other problem with hair is that I don't know what kind of shampoo to use. I've been using shampoo from a company called "Moroccan Method" which is supposedly raw and organic. I mix in some baking powder with it because the shampoo alone doesn't seem to remove much oil.

I've gone through the symptoms of zero carb transitioning before and can handle them I think, the one thing I don't know if I can take is how unappealing the food becomes. After a few days raw fat and organs become disgusting and muscle becomes barely tolerable. I don't know if I can live like that very long, I don't insist on eating the world's tastiest foods but I do insist on enjoying my food.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 18, 2010, 11:15:09 am »
i could see the 2 weeks for sure.  for how bad off i was, i was nearly normal after two weeks of raw meat/fat. after 5 days my symptoms significantly lessened which is about when i started my journal. weird too because after the first meal i knew i was getting better even though i had nothing physical to show for what i could intuit to be a good thing.

as for oily or flaky scalp, how about white vinegar? 

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 18, 2010, 11:35:26 am »
So do you think it's candida or something else?
Since VLC/ZC keeps the dry skin in check and since the standard dietary treatment for candidiasis is a VLC/ZC diet, and since I'm already eating a zinc-rich diet and use fats and lotions on my skin and tea tree oil on my scalp when needed, I'm not sure what difference it would make if it is candidiasis. Is there any special therapy you recommend for candidiasis that would differ from what I'm already doing?

Offline bonebroth

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 18, 2010, 03:29:14 pm »
Hi everyone. Hi Raw Kyle. This is my first post. I really like this forum there is a good mix of people. I have been lurking for a little bit, and just registered because of your scalp issue. Anyway let me get to it.

I suffered from a flakey scalp for years, unbearable itchiness, dryness (yet my skin tends to be oily), redness. The only relief I got was by shaving my head on a regular basis. It was misdiagnosed as psoriasis by an idiot, I mean dermatologist. Western trained doctors are smug sons of bitches as far as I'm concerned and know absolutely nothing about making people healthy. Sorry I digress.

If your scalp is itchy, dry, non stop flakey, red, irritable, etc, you have candida overgrowth on your scalp. You need a ketoconazole 2% shampoo. Trust me this stopped it dead in its tracks. The effect was immediate. I used it for about 2 weeks and thats it, I still have over half the shampoo left, its been near a year now. You can get it from a chemist(drug store).

I tried everything natural and not. I would have poured petrol on my scalp if it would have worked thats how bad it was. Stop your suffering now. 

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 18, 2010, 09:41:18 pm »
Ketoconzale works. Anti-fungal.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 20, 2010, 10:49:20 am »
Vitamin D-3 softgels have really helped my flaky skin issues, including dandruff. Getting lots of sun seems to help.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 23, 2010, 02:39:47 am »
...If your scalp is itchy, dry, non stop flakey, red, irritable, etc, you have candida overgrowth on your scalp. You need a ketoconazole 2% shampoo. Trust me this stopped it dead in its tracks. The effect was immediate. I used it for about 2 weeks and thats it, I still have over half the shampoo left, its been near a year now. You can get it from a chemist(drug store).

I tried everything natural and not. I would have poured petrol on my scalp if it would have worked thats how bad it was. Stop your suffering now.  ….
I have ketoconazole 2% shampoo. It helped a little bit, but not much (it does work better for me than any other commercial dandruff shampoo I've tried, like Head & Shoulders, Zincon, pine tar shampoos, etc., none of which worked at all for me), and I used it for much longer than 2 weeks without success. I also don't like the idea of taking that on a regular basis, due to the long term side effects, so I switched to using tea tree oil shampoo a couple times a week. It doesn’t work any better but doesn’t have as much risk of side effects. I use a little all-natural coconut-oil-based shampoo on other days. I don't have redness or irritation (though I used to have bad itching), just dry, flaky scalp. I even tried using baking soda as well as going without shampoo for a while but that didn't help and didn’t care for the way it made my hair feel and look. The only thing that has substantially helped my flaky scalp and skin over the years is cutting down on carbs, but it hasn't fully resolved it yet. I do take CLO and D3 softgels and try to get sunlight.

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 23, 2010, 12:00:39 pm »
I posted this in another thread

"Sounds like sebum related inflammation in your hair follicles. In my opinion (and from my experience) you need more liver for the vitamin A to control this. Try eating an adequate amount of grass fed liver, or taking Dr Ron's raw dried liver supplements everyday."

I suffered from the flaky scalp since I was 17 and I still do regardless of the rest of my diet if I don't get a lot of vitamin A. Raw Kyle is the flaky stuff on your scalp yellow? If it is it's dried oil not dandruff. If there is any pain on the scalp it's not dryness it's inflammation.

Offline bonebroth

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 23, 2010, 12:36:38 pm »
The scalp is tricky because of the various things going on, like a lot of hair growing from the skin. Are you able to shave your head? (The suns rays wont penetrate a thick covering of hair) By shaving your head you will be able to see exactly what is going on. I know not everyone is willing to do this. Maybe a very short hair cut, buzz cut. Short hair is best with scalp issues.   

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 24, 2010, 08:15:59 am »
Sometimes the flaky stuff is a little yellow, but a lot of the time it's mostly white. I don't really want to shave my head. I'm mostly interested in trying zero carb as an experiment not as a treatment. If it really bothered me I could use a shampoo. If zero carb does get rid of it, or greatly lessen it, that would say a lot to me about the efficacy of zero carb.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 06, 2010, 01:38:20 am »
I'm starting a zero carb experiment. I'm going to try bolting food down when I don't feel like eating. I tried it already with some iffy liver and it wasn't a bad experience. What do you guys think about that? Like today, for example, I'm going out to dinner with my girlfriends family. I was thinking of bolting down a good serving of fat before going out, and then getting a protein dish at the restaurant. Not entirely raw, and possibly trace carbs in a sauce or a few veggies, but acceptable in the terms of my experiment.

I'm going to try and take it for at least a few months before making any kind of judgment about whether it's working or not.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 06, 2010, 09:05:20 am »
I would read up on the problems that some ZCers encounter and how to avoid them before I would try a ZC test (I say that as someone who has tried ZC and is currently VLC). Richard Nikoley and Mark Sisson's blogs are good sources on this, and I have posted on it before too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk