Author Topic: my so called journal  (Read 123311 times)

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: my so called journal
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2008, 02:00:27 am »
I suffered a little setback this weekend. When I hang out with my girlfriend my diet tends to suffer, and this particular weekend had special circumstances. I'm not sure if they're broken or what but one of my ribs suffered an injury at a grappling tournament Saturday morning and I haven't wanted to do much since then. I'm still going to work but my training is suspended and I just hung out and ate Japanese food all weekend. At least now I'm chowing down on my normal meat mix. I'm thinking of trying bone marrow instead of suet for a while to see if that will help my ribs repair faster.

Satya

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2008, 02:06:01 am »
Hi Kyle,

How are your ribs?  Healing, I hope.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2008, 11:50:33 pm »
Well I can't say for sure but it hurts when I move "wrong" which includes sitting up and probably bending. I haven't been working out at all and don't plan on it for a couple of more weeks. It hurts less than before but that might be because I've learned how to move in a way that involves the rib less.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2008, 08:25:28 pm »
Alright time for an overhaul. The rib injury and piss poor performance at my grappling tournament have taught me one of those lessons you hear athletes talking about sometimes when they realize they have to take their training seriously. If I had trained just a little bit more, warmed up well before the match and had my head in it I truly believe I could have beaten that guy but instead I got injured and submitted.

I just received a very large Slanker's order and I'm going to start on a Lex-esque regiment with the dog and cat mix with suet and beef cubes. I'm planning on mixing one of the d&c packages with perhaps an eyeballed half volume of suet in comparison to the d&c mix and then a similar amount of beef cubes cut into small pieces. To acclimate myself to the taste I'm going to put a certain amount of honey in it, not sure how much right now maybe a TBSP or two, and then slowly cut back over time on it. The goal would be to not have any honey in there at all and only use honey for special occasions. I might also put something else in it, this week I had a jar of tahini from the weekend and was mixing it with my meat mix and it was pretty good, so I might use a kind of nut/seed butter like the honey and slowly cut back on that as well. I will eat at least one serving of this mix a day and up to two, the packages look to be 1.5 pounds and I would probably be adding another .5 lbs of suet and muscle to the mix and 2 lbs sounds like a good base amount of food for a normal easy day and if I work out extra hard I can eat a portion of another mix.

As for exercise I have done none since my injury and am planning on trying some easy jogs this weekend and into next week to start building back up. Also in a week or two I will make an appointment to get some x-rays and see what really happened and what the condition is with my rib because it is not getting better. It still hurts and looks/feels wrong.

Wish me luck!

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2008, 10:27:26 pm »
Cool! I wish you the best!

Oh, and I haven't gotten the book yet... whoops!

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2008, 09:08:17 pm »
Let me know when you start reading the book!

Ok so yesterday I had some salmon for lunch, a few meat sticks from U.S. Wellness Meats for a snack and then my new mix for dinner. I put quite a bit of honey in it but the consistency of the food was a little weird. The suet I cut up seems very different than what I've had before, it felt more like organ meat than fat. Also the dog and cat food mix was very soft after I thawed it out and tasted rather strong of liver. It's going to take a while to start enjoying this mix I think but I feel up to the challenge. I have another serving of the mix for my lunch today and will have more for dinner.

I'm still not exercising as my rib seems like it would keep me from much movement with pain. I'm also not sure of the damage yet and am planning on trying to get x-rays either next week or the week after. The pain doesn't bother me as much as the idea that if I move the wrong way I'll redamage it or something worse, like pierce my lung with it. Stuff like that gives me the heebie jeebies. It hurts most to sit up from a laying position, and I can't imagine the pain grappling would cause or taking a kick/punch/knee to the side, so it's probably better I stay out of the gym until I'm sure it's ok. It's very frustrating though as I feel every day I'm not working out I'm losing everything I gained before. I can only imagine how it must feel to be an active person and then suffer a debilitating accident like losing your legs or something and have to sit on the sidelines for the rest of your life. This forced laziness is imbuing me with a new appreciation for when my body is working correctly so at least that's good. Now that so much movement hurts it amazes me what I was able to do before without any pain at all.

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2008, 09:12:28 pm »
will do... it should be here any day now, It's been in shipment for a while.

And good luck getting used to your new mix! I'm sure it won't take too long

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2008, 07:35:59 am »
I got down almost all of my lunch even though it was not appetizing at all. What happened was I put a bunch of the mix into a glass container like usual and left it in a cooler type lunch box and as it sat there juices separated so the bottom was liquid. Usually I don't mind this at all as the liquid is coming off of muscle but now with the mix it's also organs which have a much stronger and (socially created) bad flavor/smell.

So now I'm going to add more muscle to the mix I have and when I finish it (hopefully tomorrow for lunch) I'm going to modify the ratios. I'm going to cut up two 1lb packages of beef cubes with a slightly smaller volume of suet and then mix that with one 1.5lb package of dog and cat mix.

The other thing, which I already mentioned, is the suet is weird this time. The package I'm taking from seems to be half some kind of tissue that is not fat and half fat. It's squishy like organ but light in color. It's probably just a different type of fat than I was getting with the other packages I ordered, but it sucks all of this change is coming at once because my food is a challenge now.

Interestingly it doesn't "gross me out" to eat it (and I think it might make a quesy person vomit just looking at it or smelling it) but it's just not appealing. I'm going to give it my best to try and stick to it and see if I can accustom myself to eating it and reap some health benefits of consistency. Consistency is definitely my biggest challenge with this.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2008, 08:42:31 pm »
I find it hard to believe I'm still on my regimen after the weekend as every weekend in the past couple of months I've ever drank alcohol, eaten unhealthy cooked food, or both. I had plenty of opportunities but somehow stuck it out. Yesterday night I started with a mild headache that has continued but subsided slightly into this morning. I think it was because all I ate yesterday was one US Wellness Meats stick of pemmican at around 3 p.m. and then nothing until a meat mix serving around 10 p.m. Sometimes when I go this long without eating I will get a headache, but it could very well have been because I haven't had any unhealthy cooked food with preservatives etc. for a while.

My rib is still messed up and I'm thinking it's never going to go back to it's normal shape but that hopefully the pain goes away and it doesn't present a weakness in me for the rest of my life. As of yet it still is keeping me from any type of exercise and that is becoming very frustrating.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2008, 09:08:50 pm »
I find it hard to believe I'm still on my regimen after the weekend as every weekend in the past couple of months I've ever drank alcohol, eaten unhealthy cooked food, or both. I had plenty of opportunities but somehow stuck it out. Yesterday night I started with a mild headache that has continued but subsided slightly into this morning. I think it was because all I ate yesterday was one US Wellness Meats stick of pemmican at around 3 p.m. and then nothing until a meat mix serving around 10 p.m. Sometimes when I go this long without eating I will get a headache, but it could very well have been because I haven't had any unhealthy cooked food with preservatives etc. for a while.

You've got to live, so drinking and stuff is cool as long as you jump back into good food,  especially since your fairly healthy.. Just get back into the raw meats/fats when you can, you will always come back to it.
I totally agree with your reason for the junk food headache.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2008, 09:25:11 pm »
I'll probably be drinking next month too, it will destroy the whole Zero carb deal but it's easier to say yes, than be unsociable.

The reason why is because I'll be working away on a job for about a month with all my bosses etc and drinking together is part of the job. Most of them will be into other stuff as well.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Satya

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2008, 10:51:23 pm »
Hang in there, Kyle.  Can you use machines?  I am cringing at the thought of your response, but can you do any kind of workout at all?  Have you seen a doctor yet?

BTW, I drink red wine with dinner a few times a week.  It may not be paleo, but it goes well with carpaccio and salad.  To each, his own.  Enjoy life to the fullest.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 10:53:37 pm by Satya »

Offline igibike

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2008, 01:13:13 am »
BTW, I drink red wine with dinner a few times a week.  It may not be paleo, but it goes well with carpaccio and salad.  To each, his own.  Enjoy life to the fullest.

Me too, but, attention: alcohol has its own metabolic path, that is different from ather carbos.
Bye bye

Luigi

Satya

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2008, 02:37:00 am »
Me too, but, attention: alcohol has its own metabolic path, that is different from ather carbos.

Luigi, this is true.  You seem to know a lot about metabolism.  When you visit the US, we will have to sit down over some good raw food and wine.  ;)

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2008, 08:15:56 am »
Hang in there, Kyle.  Can you use machines?  I am cringing at the thought of your response, but can you do any kind of workout at all?  Have you seen a doctor yet?

I don't have access to any machines to workout with and honestly have given them up in the theory of full body realistic functional strength training. I think I can jog and barring anything terrible happening tomorrow I might just try it. I just remembered that exercise (any kind) helps me to get down food that I'm not particularly into (like what I'm eating now) more easily.

I will have health insurance in about a week or two, I have to actually count the calendar days until I have worked 30 consecutive days, but right after that I'm going to a doctor to get a prescription for x-rays. If they tell me it's just going to be sore and look a little different and there's no danger of messing myself up I'll be back into the gym that day because honestly the pain is not as strong anymore as the depression and frustration that this forced inaction is causing.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2008, 08:19:41 am »
You've got to live, so drinking and stuff is cool as long as you jump back into good food,  especially since your fairly healthy.. Just get back into the raw meats/fats when you can, you will always come back to it.
I totally agree with your reason for the junk food headache.

I am always looking for a balance point. I was thinking recently of coming up with a type of "schedule" or "allowance" for myself of something cooked but paleo once in a while, and also either the clear type of liquor mixed with juice (nothing processed to mix with or preserved) or real ale/cider/wine for social occasions. If I go for a long time eating only my raw paleo digs I really start to not enjoy the eating aspect of life and get pretty down about it. Then I'll go and eat something bad and feel really bad about that, so it's like I pick what I feel bad about. So if I could just find a balance where I can eat something off of my diet to allow me to enjoy food once in a while but at the same time not something that will make me feel sick after wards or interfere with my digestive system, then I'd be very happy with that discovery.

It's like in some ways I feel weaker on healthier diets because my body tolerates unhealthy input less well. Wouldn't it be nice if eating raw paleo all the time gave you the ability to digest crappy food and deal with artificial chemicals better?

Offline igibike

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2008, 05:11:08 pm »
Luigi, this is true.  You seem to know a lot about metabolism.  When you visit the US, we will have to sit down over some good raw food and wine.  ;)

Of course, I'd love to   :) :) :)
Bye bye

Luigi

Offline igibike

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2008, 05:35:25 pm »
I am always looking for a balance point. I was thinking recently of coming up with a type of "schedule" or "allowance" for myself of something cooked but paleo once in a while, and also either the clear type of liquor mixed with juice (nothing processed to mix with or preserved) or real ale/cider/wine for social occasions. If I go for a long time eating only my raw paleo digs I really start to not enjoy the eating aspect of life and get pretty down about it. Then I'll go and eat something bad and feel really bad about that, so it's like I pick what I feel bad about. So if I could just find a balance where I can eat something off of my diet to allow me to enjoy food once in a while but at the same time not something that will make me feel sick after wards or interfere with my digestive system, then I'd be very happy with that discovery.

It's like in some ways I feel weaker on healthier diets because my body tolerates unhealthy input less well. Wouldn't it be nice if eating raw paleo all the time gave you the ability to digest crappy food and deal with artificial chemicals better?

Hey Kyle, it seems to me that you are taking it too emotionally.
I found a good balance that allows me go off my diet sometimes without feeling that bad or discomfort.
My approach is: it's not what you eat rarely that matters, but what you eat/do everyday.
Social occasions happen and are an important part of life (up to me), just take and enjoy them.
Of course thigs are done with moderation.
What I do on  socials (and so far it was always possible) is: eat paleo cooked and drink with moderation (I only drink wine or beer 'cause I can't stand superalcoholic drinks). Never mix different alcoholic drinks (someone believes it's not good to mix different types of wine as well, I noticed that if the alcoholic grade is similar It's affordable to drink some red wine, and than some white SEPARATELY).
Bye bye

Luigi

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2008, 06:26:07 pm »
What I do on  socials (and so far it was always possible) is: eat paleo cooked and drink with moderation (I only drink wine or beer 'cause I can't stand superalcoholic drinks). Never mix different alcoholic drinks (someone believes it's not good to mix different types of wine as well, I noticed that if the alcoholic grade is similar It's affordable to drink some red wine, and than some white SEPARATELY).

I ought to mention that the types of alcohol which cause the most hangovers are the coloured ones as they contain more congeners and other preservatives. So that means that red wine, whisky and lager-beer are to be avoided, IMO. For alcohol, I generally choose things like vodka, therefore, or, more commonly, Real Ale which is unpasteurised and full of bacteria, without any preservatives at all. The only exception is Limoncello, IF I know that it's one of the varieties which doesn't have any preservatives, colouring agents in it. I rarely drink such alcohol but I I drink it more often than I eat cooked-food as  I find it seems to have less of an effect on me, long-term(ie no constipation, no hangover-effect the next morning , as I only drink moderately etc.)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 12:26:52 am by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline igibike

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2008, 08:28:41 pm »
Re red wine, I have to tell you that white wine may be altered as well as red wine.
Fortunately I buy wine from a friend that produces it from the grapes he cultivates.
Wine contains polyphenols that are said to be anti-radicals.

Re beer, i prefer unpasteurized one (if I can find it), otherwise weiss or stout.
Bye bye

Luigi

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2008, 12:26:31 am »
Re red wine, I have to tell you that white wine may be altered as well as red wine.
Fortunately I buy wine from a friend that produces it from the grapes he cultivates.

Yes, I know, I've been trying to find any wine at all which doesn't have sulphites in it as a preservative, and there are very, very few available, and only on specific websites. For some reason, it's the sulphites in wine that give me the worst side-effects, so I stick to real ale, limoncello/grappa or vodka, if at all.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Satya

« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2008, 01:40:02 am »
Yes, I know, I've been trying to find any wine at all which doesn't have sulphites in it as a preservative, and there are very, very few available, and only on specific websites. For some reason, it's the sulphites in wine that give me the worst side-effects, so I stick to real ale, limoncello/grappa or vodka, if at all.

You might want to try my friends at OWC.  Very nice people.  They only have 2 wines with no added sulfites, but both are good.  The Cartagene is a sweet wine.

http://www.theorganicwinecompany.com/

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2008, 01:44:17 am »
Hey Kyle, it seems to me that you are taking it too emotionally.
I found a good balance that allows me go off my diet sometimes without feeling that bad or discomfort.
My approach is: it's not what you eat rarely that matters, but what you eat/do everyday.
Social occasions happen and are an important part of life (up to me), just take and enjoy them.
Of course thigs are done with moderation.

I might be emotional about it but the negative effects of going off of my diet are physical, I'm not imagining them. When I say I "feel bad" about going off of my diet, I don't mean just guilty, I mean physically sick or at least less than optimal. Sometimes after eating unhealthy food I'll get a headache (maybe detoxing preservatives or salts or caffeine) and a lot of times it messes with my digestive system and bowel movements. Most of the negative effects come from eating a lot of it, but it's one of those things where if I just eat a little bit I'm not satisfied anyway.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2008, 09:31:53 am »
I went off my diet tonight for a family social occasion but I feel ok with it. On the brighter side my doctor cousin in law gave me some advice about my rib and I might be able to get it fixed. According to him one of them is out of it's cartilage joint and could be pushed back in by an osteopathic manipulative doctor. Very hopeful for this as my rib injury has kept me from working out for about a month now and doesn't seem to be getting better quickly on it's own.

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2008, 09:48:56 am »
That's great news on both counts.
Perhaps you found a happy medium with your ability to go off your diet. And I really hope you're able to recover very shortly as well.

The book still hasn't arrived. I don't know what could possibly be taking so long.  :(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk