Author Topic: are oysters and other shellfish a clean source of food?  (Read 13710 times)

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
Re: are oysters and other shellfish a clean source of food?
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2010, 11:23:35 am »
Hm well then they must be alive because they are tightly shut shells. Occasionally I find some that have open shells I usually chuck those in the garbage.

I usually skimp on the salt because I put sea salt and that is pricey so I'll try putting more next time.

On another note, I got some blue marlin tuna the other day from Costco, a huge warehouse membership type of store.
I cut it into small tiny cubes and dipped it in egg yolk. It was great,, even my cat ate some of the tuna, but none of the egg yolk.

It was interesting because she would eat the tuna but when I dipped it in the yolk she refused to eat it.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2010, 11:32:56 am »
blue marlin and tuna are 2 separate fish.
Which one is it?
tuna is red meat
blue marlin is white meat

I don't see why you are dipping it in egg yolk.
blue marlin is totally fat.

Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2010, 09:26:12 am »
Oh, it is blue marlin. I thought wrong.

Is blue marlin a quality fish? It tastes good.

I dip it in the egg yolk because i like the texture and flavor that the yolk brings with the blue marlin.

I also like yolk with beef

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2010, 11:44:52 am »
I found this deal for clams for like 35-40 clams for about 17 dollars, which is much less than where I normally get them.

However, after soaking the clams, I examined each one as I was about to open it, and I noticed over 60% had a chipped part on where the two half shells meet. When I turned the chipped part down towards the ground and shook the clam, I saw water continuously dripping out. I opened these clams and they did not smell. However, some that were chipped did not smell fresh. I threw those away. And, the clams that did not have chipped shells smelled fresher and cleaner upon opening than the ones that had chipped shells.

Are these chipped clams to be avoided and dead? I can answer this myself but wanted second opinions since these clams are cheaper.  How could over 20 of the clams have light chips on them? Should I stop buying them and instead buy the clams that are more expensive from the other store where they sell clams individually instead of in packs of 35-40?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 12:24:59 pm by bharminder »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk