Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 265947 times)

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #425 on: December 15, 2012, 02:09:55 am »
Cheers
Al

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Cheers
Al

Offline Brad462

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: December 19, 2012, 03:22:27 pm »
I'm actually a really nice guy, once you get to blow me.

— Anthony Jeselnik

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: December 21, 2012, 10:19:10 am »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: December 23, 2012, 01:13:11 am »
Cheers
Al

Offline Bacchal

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: February 09, 2013, 09:56:50 am »

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: March 11, 2013, 02:36:15 pm »
Someone sticky this topic!
Roberta Sá - Pavilhão de Espelhos

Offline Brad462

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: March 12, 2013, 05:56:15 am »
I need a drink.   -d

Adema - Giving In

— Anthony Jeselnik

Offline hassafras

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: March 12, 2013, 06:59:31 am »
Only one of the greatest songs ever  ;D

Pink Floyd - Echoes

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: May 12, 2013, 11:13:57 am »
Had a chance to play one of these. What a blast. One hand is tone and the other plays the volume. It is strictly proximity to the antennas on either side of the box.

THEREMIN - Over The Rainbow
Cheers
Al

Offline Brad462

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: May 24, 2013, 06:13:30 am »

— Anthony Jeselnik

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: May 25, 2013, 07:41:31 am »
Chad VanGaalen - Peace On The Rise (OFFICIAL VIDEO)

been listening to this guy for a few years but I didn't know until recently that he is also an amazing artist and does really excellent cartoons for his toons.....
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 07:47:59 am by jessica »

Offline jesterhead

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 07, 2013, 06:55:49 am »
I listen to mostly heavy metal, especially progressive metal and more experimental type bands. A lot of it can be quite beautiful if one can get past the harsh vocals when they are used. A few of my favorites:

Be'lakor - Of Breath and Bone Be'lakor - Of Breath And Bone (2012) [Full-Album]
Between the Buried and Me - The Parallax ll: Future Sequence http://youtu.be/-_fbY-qAmGk
Borknagar - The Earthling http://youtu.be/MNESu-ChMXY
Dark Tranquillity - For Broken Words http://youtu.be/QTkwuyb_PLc
Emperor - The Prophet http://youtu.be/3fAJfOjqZdU
Ihsahn - Introspection http://youtu.be/ByufYA28XZE
Opeth - Credence http://youtu.be/FdcM3WD4y2I
Wintersun - Beautiful Death http://youtu.be/hDcPt-hvkPo
Weston A. Price on obtaining knowledge from primitive cultures:

"It may be not only our greatest opportunity, but our best hope for stemming the tide of our progressive breakdown and also for our return to harmony with Nature's laws, since life in its fullness is Nature obeyed."

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 07, 2013, 09:03:24 am »
Jester, do you like periphery? They have been my favorite band for like a year now.
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

If ya ain't hungry enough to eat raw liver, ya ain't hungry enough.

We are all just doing the best we can, with what we know, at any given time.

Offline jesterhead

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 07, 2013, 09:40:29 am »
Yes, I'm very fond of Periphery, especially their second album. Had it on repeat when driving for a few months after it was released. The other djentish band I'm into is Vildhjarta.

"It may be not only our greatest opportunity, but our best hope for stemming the tide of our progressive breakdown and also for our return to harmony with Nature's laws, since life in its fullness is Nature obeyed."

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: July 07, 2013, 10:07:49 am »
Yes and yes. I play guitar and someday if I find decent musicians that share my love of djent/metal I'd love to throw a band together. Could you imagine how ape-shit the crowd would go if the bands guitarist grabbed a dripping heart and bit a chunk out of it on stage? Then proceeded to consume the rest of it. Haha, guitaring makes a man hungry!
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 07, 2013, 10:16:57 am »
Junip - In Every Direction (Live on KEXP)

Junip - Without You (Live on KEXP)

JUNIP - Always

all three songs are pretty different but similar but amazing, so good if you have decent speakers
junip
jose gonzalez, hes great on his own too
oldies but always

Offline jesterhead

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 07, 2013, 10:35:14 am »
Someday I hope to learn guitar. I've exhausted pretty much every genre of metal, that's how long I've been listening. Ever since I started listening as a kid I've been hooked. Still no guitar tho -_-.

Heart and a goblet of blood, haha.

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 07, 2013, 11:05:09 am »
Sounds delicious. Lol. I'm salivating. I have a deer heart in the fridge I'm dry aging.

I've been playing guitar since I was 12 (sax at 11) which makes for 11 and 12 years of playing each, respectively. I am a professional jazz musician and here's my advice to ANYONE wanting to learn to play:

go get the instrument you want to play, look for free online lessons and learn what they want you to learn, followed by a song you want to learn. Then for the most desireable results (play the best in the fastest amount of time, they go hand in hand) short and frequent sessions. The shorter and more frequent, the better the results. So 3x5 min sessions is better than 2x15 min sessions, is better than 1x1 hour session, even though total time is less. If you're still confused let me know, ill explain more.
-Dustin

Offline jesterhead

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 08, 2013, 10:15:13 am »
If you find any good new bands you think I'll enjoy, message them to me. Always looking for new music. My library has been at a standstill for about a year now. I'm getting new albums, but no new artists.

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 08, 2013, 10:21:37 am »
If you find any good new bands you think I'll enjoy, message them to me. Always looking for new music. My library has been at a standstill for about a year now. I'm getting new albums, but no new artists.

Do you enjoy jazz as well? All I listen to anymore is jazz and metal. I definitely will if I find any. Please share with me too. I love finding new stuff.
-Dustin

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 08, 2013, 10:23:11 am »
Junip - In Every Direction (Live on KEXP)

Junip - Without You (Live on KEXP)

JUNIP - Always

all three songs are pretty different but similar but amazing, so good if you have decent speakers
junip
jose gonzalez, hes great on his own too
oldies but always

Holy crap Jessica he has an awesome voice. Instant love.
-Dustin

Offline jesterhead

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 08, 2013, 10:33:29 am »
Do you enjoy jazz as well? All I listen to anymore is jazz and metal. I definitely will if I find any. Please share with me too. I love finding new stuff.

Now that you mention, I probably would enjoy it. If you can recommend a good place to start. Ihsahn uses a lot of saxophone in his third album, that's about as much as I've been exposed to.

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 08, 2013, 01:48:19 pm »
Everyone is different with Jazz. I got into it by comparing the old blues of the 1920's to the 1970's classic rock. Nat King Cole, Louis Armstrong, Bix Biderbeck, Duke Ellington and Count Basie are all guys in this era; Dixieland up to Big band. Then the late 1930's hit and Glenn Miller and Big band style came out. A lot of dancing music here. So if you like to dance, I'd start there. Now for someone that enjoys metal, I'd assume you like complex music, something to keep you on your toes, go for bebop of the 1940's. Charlie parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Christian, those three were the main leaders of the bebop movement and I'd suggest to start there. Now, as a preface to jazz, it's VERY rich in history and not like metal. in this sense. With metal, you can hop in anywhere and say, I enjoy this. With jazz, it's almost always more like wine, having to find tiny things you like and developing a taste. After a while, you will notice "quotes" from other musicians that are used, for example, many sax players up through today even will quote Parker, which is why I suggest to listen to him. Charlie Parker & Dizzy Gillespie - KoKo there is a good song. One of many greats, really.

If bebop isn't your thing and is too "chaotic", or if you do really enjoy it, then I highly recommend the whole album of Miles Davis Kind of Blue This is an album that myself and many other jazz musicians listened to (only this album) a year usually, when they first heard it. When I first heard it, it was like experiencing new colors, and I didn't want to stop. History: this album directly followed the bebop movement of the 1940's-50's and just when people thought it couldn't get crazier, Miles knew it was time for change. So as opposed to trying to play as much over as many changes as possible, like bebop did, opting for complex harmony and rhythm, he decided to over-simplify and strictly create melody, regardless of harmony or rhythm. It was so different it skyrocketed and is often touted as the greatest album (influential) of all time.

To carry on to what Miles' work on Kind of Blue became in the modern day, mixing in the influence of crazy things like metal or rap, I'd highly recommend a few other of my living favorites:

Hiromi- a japanese pianist, almost more fun to watch than to listen to (but she plays like a beast). You can find many great videos on youtube.

Chick Corea- Spain is brilliant, his rhythm and mix of latin jazz into modern is brilliant. Here he is playing with hiromi, in one of my most favorite duets of all time. Chick Corea & Hiromi??????????????

Marcus Miller- great bass player, he likes to take younger people that are "prodigies" and develop them. His sax player starting playing with him professionally at 13 years old and is truly an inspiration to me. If i ever met him, I would give him a hug instantly.

Brad Meldau- Possibly the best pianist alive, pushing the boundaries of jazz as we know it, I'm not sure if you'll like him. He's one that is still somewhat (a lot) over my head. Truly genius. He plays with Kurt Rosenwinkel who I , as a guitarist, can keep up with a tad bit more, but still genius. Brad Mehldau Trio - "All The Things You Are" part 1

Oscar peterson and Herb Ellis- true classics of how a small combo "should" sound. 10/10 can listen to all day and still feel good.

Joe Pass- Often touted as the greatest Jazz guitarist who ever lived. He could walk a bass line, play the chords, AND solo, all at the same time.

If you look up "all the things you are" by each one of these guys, you will see why it is difficult to define jazz as just one thing, and why it can be so overwhelming to one person. Imo a nice jazzy metal would be Animals as leaders.

Hope that's not too much, the teacher in me is coming out...
-Dustin

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 08, 2013, 11:42:11 pm »
Holy crap Jessica he has an awesome voice. Instant love.

yes! I love it too!  just makes me happy to know there are real, creative, talented musicians out there who make music just for musics sake. so beautiful :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk