Author Topic: Do you eat raw beef SUET?  (Read 15459 times)

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Do you eat raw beef SUET?
« on: February 03, 2010, 05:15:40 pm »
Miles is eating raw beef suet and getting sick on it.

I personally do not eat suet.  I eat beef back fat.

I don't eat suet because the butchers don't sell it to me.  The butchers sell it to those who use suet for cooking or other industrial purposes.

Do you eat beef suet?  Why? or Why Not?
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Do you eat raw beef SUET?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 05:51:23 pm »
I find raw suet to be a rather pointless food. I view it as an inferior type of fat, less easily digested than other kinds. Plus the taste of most of the raw suet I've bought is clearly very bland. I eat it if there's no other raw animal food available, but generally I view it as raw junk-food, even if grassfed.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 06:11:10 pm »

I found a company that sells suet for industrial purposes but they agreed to sell me several kilos. I will go and buy some in the next days and see how it compares to butter.

Do you know if suet is generally frozen? Does it matter?

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 07:20:00 pm »
Suet raw junk food? What's junk about it? I would call dried fruit raw junk food.

I eat tons of raw suet and never have a problem. I eat hide fat sometimes as well. When I eat it I usually cut up equal parts of suet and muscle and eat them in bites together. It digests the same for me as any other fat like marrow, muscle fat etc. My suet is always frozen because I get it from Slankers. The local place I get meat from doesn't advertise suet, but they do sell tallow and maybe I could ask them if I can get the unrendered fat.

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 08:08:57 pm »
I eat raw suet. Not sure how I feel about it yet, but so far I haven't seen any problems
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 08:13:42 pm »
Almost all of the extra fat I add to my meals is raw suet and this is intentional. I find that the suet is more sustaining for my energy levels than softer fats so while I don't get a spike in energy immediately following ingestion I don't notice a decline at any point in my day. If I supplement with softer fats I do notice this dip in energy and focus.
FWIW I did find suet harder to digest at first but over time I adapted to handling it better and now I have no undigested fat in a stool even if I eat a third of a pound of the stuff with a meal.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 08:52:13 pm »
I'm going to go back to eating cooked-meat again, but with things like lettuce if anything(+I'll use VitD Gel Caps in addition to Fish Oil); no sugary fruit. Last night I ate some stuff I've not eaten in ~2years: Baked(Kidney) Beans, Pilau Rice, Wheat, Oats, Milk, Chilli Pepper... + some things I've had very little of: Pickled Vegetables, Dried fruit.. My insides still hurt, but now for a different reason, and I managed to get rid of the fever-causing stuff... I'll probably try eating raw meat/fat again when I get the grass-fed beef...
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 09:35:12 pm »
I bought buffalo suet a few times, frozen.  I don't like it that much and don't think eating it's done much good for me.  I threw almost 2 lbs of suet in the yard two days ago, hoping an animal will eat it; because I don't want to bother with it anymore.

I've had buffalo back fat.  That's nice.  I want to get more of that.

I think here it's hard to get backfat and suet, partially because they're using it all to make sausages.

I hate the smell of beef, so I haven't looked for beef suet.  I don't even know where to get it.  The only time I've come in contact with beef suet was decades ago of "natural" soap that made me (rashy all over and) itch like wild, and crafts and candle making.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 09:38:20 pm »
Suet raw junk food? What's junk about it? I would call dried fruit raw junk food.

I eat tons of raw suet and never have a problem. I eat hide fat sometimes as well. When I eat it I usually cut up equal parts of suet and muscle and eat them in bites together. It digests the same for me as any other fat like marrow, muscle fat etc. My suet is always frozen because I get it from Slankers. The local place I get meat from doesn't advertise suet, but they do sell tallow and maybe I could ask them if I can get the unrendered fat.
  A few people report not being able to absorb raw suet properly so that it comes out undigested in stools. It's a somewhat hardened fat so that's not surprising. I find raw suet very bland in taste, mostly, and avoid it. As regards dried fruit, that is not a valid comparison, as dried fruit contains sulphites and other preservatives whereas raw suet doesn't.

I have never been able to obtain raw hide-fat but I've heard from reliable sources that it is superior to raw suet in quality.

"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 09:41:05 pm »
Almost all of the extra fat I add to my meals is raw suet and this is intentional. I find that the suet is more sustaining for my energy levels than softer fats so while I don't get a spike in energy immediately following ingestion I don't notice a decline at any point in my day. If I supplement with softer fats I do notice this dip in energy and focus.
FWIW I did find suet harder to digest at first but over time I adapted to handling it better and now I have no undigested fat in a stool even if I eat a third of a pound of the stuff with a meal.

I do one day suet and one day muscle fat / marrow; they both feel different in the system and I could not deal just feeling my belly with muscle fat - for those that are active I believe would notice this as well.

Nicola

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 07:15:50 am »
It's the raw fat from an animal...whether it comes from the hide, from around the organs, the skeletal muscles it's all the same pretty much in my experience.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 09:18:49 am »
To each their own. Here are the reasons I can think of at the moment that I eat mainly suet and low-heated tallow for my fats (along with some grain-finished marrow, fermented CLO and fatty meats):

1. I prefer to eat fats from only mostly-pasture-fed or wild sources (the only conventional supermarket foods I buy are lean steak for beef jerky and mineral water). I find that for me, it is particularly important to get the fats and ground meats from good sources--I feel significantly better when I do--whereas it makes less difference on how I feel with the lean meats (and the pasture-fed lean meats are exhorbitantly expensive).
2. the grass-finished suet in my local healthfood store is cheap (99 cents to $1.99 per lb)
3. low-heated-tallow is my favorite-tasting fat (heating it at standard higher levels makes it taste burnt to me and eating high-heated tallow causes me to burp quite a bit); better even than raw or melted marrow (raw suet is rather dry and doesn't taste very good, so I chop it more finely and mix it in more thoroughly with the meat when I eat it raw)--which surprised me
4. the only marrow available in local stores is grain-finished (which may be part of the reason why it doesn't taste as good as melted grass-finished suet) and when you factor in the weight of the bones it costs more per lb for the grain-finished marrow fat than for the grass-finished suet
5. the market that sells the grass-finished suet is much closer to me than the one supermarket that sells decent grain-finished marrow
6. I only have a very tiny fridge with micro-mini freezer in a tiny, cramped apartment and I may be moving soon, so for the time being I'm not going to be buying a chest freezer so I can buy from Slankers or a local farm
7. I don't do well on extra virgin coconut oil and it's much more expensive
8. the only other alternative in my local markets that comes anywhere close in terms of quality to the suet is local pasture-fed, cultured, pasteurized butter. I don't do as well on it as the suet and the butter is far more expensive. There's simply no comparison.
9. I need to add fat to the grass-finished ground beef I buy, the fatty cuts of grass-finished meat are much more expensive than the grass-finished ground beef, and even some of the fattier cuts of grass-finished beef are still not fatty enough to meet my needs without adding fat

So there's really nothing remotely as good an option as suet in my situation. If you were in my situation, wouldn't you do the same thing?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 04:09:51 pm »
What is the exact definition of suet anyway. I ask my farmer for suet and receive crumbly dry fat, chewy fat or softer non crumbly pieces of fat all mixed together.

I've noticed no difference what type I eat. It's all good stuff.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 10:30:44 pm »
Suet is also called perinephric fat, meaning the fat around the kidneys.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 08:54:56 am »
Suet is also called perinephric fat, meaning the fat around the kidneys.

In that case I assume my farmer just gives me any type of fat they have not suet specifically.

Offline Stephanie07

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 03:47:10 pm »
It's the raw fat from an animal...whether it comes from the hide, from around the organs, the skeletal muscles it's all the same pretty much in my experience.

During our vacation in  the Philippines they are cooking a dish that is called lechon kawali correct me if I'm wrong the dish is really delicious they eat it with rice and sip it into vinegar with onion garlic pepper and chili this dish often has fats and it can cause high blood. I think that is not consider as a suet.
Spammer Signature Selling Krill Oil - but not on paleo diet. IP address shows it is posting from Philippines, not Germany.

Offline nicole

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2010, 07:19:27 am »
Can someone post a picture of both beef back fat and suet? I'm not sure which i'm getting and can't find a picture on the internet.
Give it to us raw, and wriggling. You keep nasty chips.

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2010, 09:22:34 pm »
I eat raw suet. It doesn't taste as good as bone marrow or tongue, but it's still nice. I get a nice yellow kind. One thing I found makes a big difference is to warm it up then it's more buttery and soft.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2010, 03:46:16 am »
I eat raw suet. It doesn't taste as good as bone marrow or tongue, but it's still nice. I get a nice yellow kind. One thing I found makes a big difference is to warm it up then it's more buttery and soft.
Interestingly, I don't like the taste of the marrow I get at the supermarket as much as the suet I get at a healthfood market, but I think that may be because the marrow is grain-finished whereas the suet is 100% grassfed and vacuum-packed. When suet is grain-finished or not vacuum packed I don't care for the taste.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk