Author Topic: Back-yard yumminess!  (Read 6329 times)

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
Back-yard yumminess!
« on: September 15, 2010, 05:17:38 am »
Thought I'd share some of whats growing now in my back yard...haven't had to buy any fruits at all (=
and it's nice to eat things that are in season and growing well in my area naturally.

apples:

the little animals are attacking them but I am too lazy to bring them inside...

One of the apple trees:

Redcurrants:

Red raspberries (we've had them non-stop all summer long now fall and more still coming lol):

Tomato:

White raspberries (these taste like honey!!!):

I also had a bunch of other things, like blueberries, basil, chives, parsley and sage...now that's all out of season.

Do you guys grow stuff in your yard?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Back-yard yumminess!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 05:19:46 am »
Pictures of food really belong in the culinary creations forum. Moved it there now.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 05:25:19 am »
oops sorry! I didn't notice that board, guess I just had to scroll-down, duh :P

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 05:45:15 am »
Awesome fruit. Do you use organic pesticides or just let them grow?
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 05:50:38 am »
I don't use anything on them at all, organic or not, that's why the apples have brown spots everywhere, a few have worms (yum! lol), and many of the raspberry bushes leaves have been chewed up by these crazy beetles. However the fruit production is still pretty high... (=

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 05:53:36 am »
Wow exotic!
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline michaelwh

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 06:49:29 am »
Nice photos. I also gather most fruits instead of buying them. I recently found an apple tree in a park, and gathered lots of apples, much more than what I can eat. I'm planning to make apple cider vinegar. When I cut open the apples, a black insect with pinchers often runs out (I don't know what it's called), I have to be careful not to get pinched :)

Has anybody made ACV before? I figure that I can just bottle fresh raw apple juice, and let it ferment all the way. Or is it more complicated?

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 08:07:08 am »
Has anybody made ACV before? I figure that I can just bottle fresh raw apple juice, and let it ferment all the way. Or is it more complicated?
The raw cider vinegar sold in the store has been cultured from a mother much like Kumbucha. You should conceivably be able to make it without in the manner you're describing but it might not work quite right. Also make sure you get regular air into the bottle or else you're going to be making cider jack. :)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 10:22:33 am »
on ehow.com it says to just leave it in a glass jar covered by cheesecloth and let it sit in a dark place for 3 to 6 (for full-bodied) months....
( http://www.ehow.com/how_4487982_make-apple-cider-vinegar-home.html )

never tried it but to wait that long I don't know...I think I might end up drinking it before then lol

I never have the need for much apple cider vinegar so I just buy a small bottle at a healthfood store and it lasts a long time (even if its not as cheap you only need little of it).

Offline michaelwh

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 09:25:39 pm »
Thanks for the tips. I have a bottle of Bragg's ACV (with the mother), so maybe I'll try putting a few tablespoons into the fresh apple juice as an inoculant.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 02:44:05 am »
Thanks for the tips. I have a bottle of Bragg's ACV (with the mother), so maybe I'll try putting a few tablespoons into the fresh apple juice as an inoculant.
Put the whole mother in; you don't need it in the vinegar now. yuli is right about the cheesecloth though that would be the best way to culture it as it's getting all the air it needs. :)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk