Author Topic: kidney  (Read 3555 times)

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
kidney
« on: September 19, 2010, 04:59:04 am »
Does anyone know how much vitamins and nutrients would be lost if I were to simmer pieces of beef kidney in small amount of water for 30 seconds or so? And then after eating the kidney I would drink the water it was simmered in in case stuff leaked out.
....I got some beef heart today, steak and yummi bone marrow, ate all those raw, mmmm, feels good...but looking at the kidney I am not so sure about it even though its very fresh (as that one was from supermarket)...but I still really want it so I thought of having it lightly simmered  l)

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: kidney
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 06:39:41 am »
Well I answered my own question, just tried it simmered for 15 seconds, it did not sit well with me, nothing sickening but gave me some gas :/
I din't like the smell of it when simmered either.
But what was good was the drinking the water from the simmering, it was light brown and I added a pinch of sea salt and cayenne and drank it like a coffee lol. - I will eat it raw if I can find some organic one and see if I don't like it because its kidney in general or because I rare-simmered it. I love experiments  ;D

Offline Sitting Coyote

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 08:08:07 am »
Kidney has a different taste, smell and texture than muscle meats and heart.  It is very similar to liver.  I can't speak to the freshness of the one you ate, but the texture of both fresh kidney and liver puts some people off.  It's something it takes time to get used to, but once you're used to it both organs are very nutrient dense and incredibly valuable.  I started experimenting with fresh meats, fats and organs last December, and now freely eat all organs without hesitation.

I wonder if you're just struggling to get used to the smell, taste or texture?

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 08:43:20 am »
I loved the texture (nice and rubbery), I didn't like the smell - the taste was ok, but the smell plays a big part for me.
I do like beef heart and liver...so I think it will just take me a while to get used to the kidneys, I'll see if I can find organic or grass-fed kidney and see if there is a difference. The supermarket one was very fresh, but it came from a 'regular' cow... I can eat small pieces of it though, so I can just eat it with other meat and maybe that'll make it better, I think it overwhelmed me because I made a bowl of just kidney and that was just too much for me ha ha

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Sitting Coyote

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 04:14:19 am »
Great links Geoff.  Kind of odd that you stuck them randomly here, though.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 07:50:59 am »
It wasn't random.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk