Author Topic: Salmonella food poisoning  (Read 38563 times)

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
Re: Salmonella food poisoning
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2010, 12:18:17 am »
The apple cider vinegar didn't seem to make much of a difference, and I still seemed to have slight discomfort in my stomach/intestines yesterday that I don't think I had the day before when I didn't drink the apple cider vinegar.  I also almost seem to be constipated now.  Not sure if the apple cider vinegar did any good really.  I do seem to feel better today though.  Don't think I'll drink any today though.. see how that feels.  Also probably going to try eating three egg yolks sometime today, and see how that goes.. should be fine seeing how animal foods seem to not cause any problems.  I was just afraid to eat any eggs in case what I had was salmonella from eggs.

Dunno how much longer I should go before trying to eat fruit and stuff again.. maybe just slowly introduce things, like the eggs right now.. grain-fed fat(since it's the only fat i can get) next in a day or so.. then a little fruit after that in another couple days?  I'm still so hungry, ugh.. wondering if I should eat a lb of meat a day instead of half.
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.
I live with my dad, so I also have to sneak any raw meat eating.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2010, 01:13:54 am »
A half a pound of meat is definitely not enough, well for me it woun't be.
Increase your beef intake (since it gives you no problem) and add some fat (even if its grainfed who cares, its still good FAT)...
Have you tried any organ meats?

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2010, 03:14:33 pm »
I eat 2 pounds of beef a day with lamb fat trimmings and high meat.
I used to have all types of digestive issues and got stomach pains after every meal and food poisoning symptoms every month or two.

I honestly thought that eatting yogurt and dairy was good for balancing stomach issues(I was wrong) I was having bad reactions to dairy and didn't even know it.

When I started the raw paleo diet I tryed drinking raw milk and it made me feel bad so I went dairy free and increased my raw fat intake and started feeling great.

The lower the carbs the better I feel in general and a pure source of Raw animal fat is the key to making my diet work. I know there are some that may doubt what I have personally experienced but its worth considering. I have access to free pasture raised lamb fat trimmings and suet and it is real buttery and I eat about half a pound a day with 2 pounds of beef and feel good. If I get grassfed beef fat at the whole foods, it taste good, but after a day of eatting it I lose my appetite and energy levels. Some of the grain finished fat I used to get was really good, but its seems inconsistent in quality, sometimes it isn't so good. Even my lamb fat has difference from animal, to animal, I got some one time that tasted like toasted grain and was awful, but every other time its been pillowy creamy and good. I have bought meat from different butchers and found some red meat has a sour taste that isn't appealing and I will often turn my nose at it before I can eat it all.
I did eat raw chicken for a couple of months but quality is hard to guarantee and sometimes would feel queasy after eatting it while other times I would feel fine.

Eggs are the same way, I have  free range chickens and supplament with table scraps and I notice the different taste of the yokes on different days, sometimes my kids eat more eggs than we can make so I buy some from the store, and the grain fed taste terrible when compaired to farm fresh. Sometimes I will gag at the taste of a cheaper egg yoke. I now buy these pasture raised eggs for 4 dollars a dozen and they seem neutral and healthy.

Its almost like the adaption to a low carb raw carnivore diet has tuned my taste towards purer quality foods(I believe that processed foods, starchy vegtables, and even too much fruit and dairy can prevent the development of this type of sensitivity) Its the tuning of the taste buds that will be most helpfull in preventing food born illness, by steering you away from poor quality.

I love what this diet has done for me and feel like it fits my nature, I think people who are still getting traumatic gut issues after trying to adapt to raw paleo need to try to make some alterations in order to get closer to their personal Ideal. I believe in reductionism, I tryed apple cider vinegar and cultured milk and pro biotics, green drinks thinking that they would offer some health benefits, but what I realized is that health tonics don't help if the diet is not optimally tuned to my personal needs. If there is something that isn't being well tolerated but is kept in the diet as force of habit, it doesn't matter what remedy is thrown on top, you will still not attain optimum health.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 03:31:51 pm by sabertooth »
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2010, 05:03:06 pm »
Eggs did perfectly fine.  Will up the intake to a lb of meat if I'm hungry enough, to try and keep the expensive milk intake lower.  I think perhaps I will wait to reintroduce fruit until after I get some Qephor if it isn't out again.  Might wait until sunday for the grain-fed fat.

bought a bit of fish and pork today though, not a lot, just wanted to try them out.. I hadn't eaten any raw pork or raw fish (or any fish other than fishsticks for that matter) ever before, so it was interesting to try them.  Just tried them a few minutes ago and they so far don't seem to be causing me any further illness, and will help with my hunger. 

Haven't had any diarrhea for i think three days now, so I think I'm doing pretty good.  I'm sure if I ate any fruit though, it would cause me some diarrhea again.  Gotta wait a few more days before I eat any.  Can't wait to eat it again though, it and the raw brazil nuts I bought.  They were pretty good.. wondering if I'll like raw walnuts too and stuff.  That would be a nice other alternative fat to animal fats, on top of my grain-fed fat trimmings.  Never to replace though, animal > plant.
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.

Offline MoonStalkeR

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2010, 09:33:09 pm »
Wow. I used to eat raw chicken, including Slanker's, but never got Salmonella. I'm going to be more careful when I eat chicken, if I actually will again.

I think I got Salmonella at some point. Can't be sure as the symptoms are so flu-like.

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2010, 12:14:24 am »
Ok, so all of my salmonella symptoms have gone away except for some bloody diarrhea. What happens is I get a sharp pain, and then immediately have an urge to go to the bathroom and then piss out my ass. Some of it is blood. However, This has happened to me before when I had food poisoning in the past, I remember I didnt go to the doctors and just dealt with it for a week or so and it went away. If it got too bad though, like too much blood, I would go. Right now it is only a little bit, and I am drinking enough water.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

"There is a lot of pressure to be sexualized but not to actually be sexual."
- women's health member

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2010, 01:22:21 am »
What color is the blood? If it's really bright/fresh you could have irritated the hell out of your ass and it's raw.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 26, 2010, 01:32:31 am »
Ok, so all of my salmonella symptoms have gone away except for some bloody diarrhea. What happens is I get a sharp pain, and then immediately have an urge to go to the bathroom and then piss out my ass. Some of it is blood. However, This has happened to me before when I had food poisoning in the past, I remember I didnt go to the doctors and just dealt with it for a week or so and it went away. If it got too bad though, like too much blood, I would go. Right now it is only a little bit, and I am drinking enough water.

What are you eating?  I don't know if it would be the same for you, but whenever I eat any plant food whatsoever, fruit or veg or nuts or anything, it makes my diarrhea worse.  I've been eating nothing but meat and dairy and haven't had any diarrhea.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 26, 2010, 01:34:01 am »
A half a pound of meat is definitely not enough, well for me it woun't be.
Increase your beef intake (since it gives you no problem) and add some fat (even if its grainfed who cares, its still good FAT)...
Have you tried any organ meats?

Oh and, the ONLY organ meats I can find are commercial grain-fed liver, and it tasted pretty gross to me..

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 26, 2010, 03:00:59 am »
What color is the blood? If it's really bright/fresh you could have irritated the hell out of your ass and it's raw.

It seems to be dark, but some is bright. Also, it is not an issue of pushing too hard, I am not constipated, so it is not hemmroids. Unfortunately, I think it could be further up in my colon because some of the poop is mixed with blood. Also, the odor smells just like the blood when I open my meat packages. Same smell as the blood you drink from your meat. Maybe that is just going through me?

What are you eating?  I don't know if it would be the same for you, but whenever I eat any plant food whatsoever, fruit or veg or nuts or anything, it makes my diarrhea worse.  I've been eating nothing but meat and dairy and haven't had any diarrhea.

I have not had an appetite for meat, and am afraid that while having this issue, I will waste valuable meat and it will just go right through me. I have been eating a lot of fruit though, it makes me feel better, even though it prob gives me diarrhea.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 03:08:19 am by pioneer »
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

- women's health member

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 26, 2010, 03:09:40 am »
Oh and, the ONLY organ meats I can find are commercial grain-fed liver, and it tasted pretty gross to me..

Grass fed liver is one of the tastiest organs, though it may take some getting used to. It is very rich.

- women's health member

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 26, 2010, 03:56:24 am »
I have not had an appetite for meat, and am afraid that while having this issue, I will waste valuable meat and it will just go right through me. I have been eating a lot of fruit though, it makes me feel better, even though it prob gives me diarrhea.

Maybe you should try a little meat without eating any fruit all day, and after drinking some milk maybe in the morning, too.. or even try eggs, see if it still goes through you.  None of the meat I've been eating has gone through me at all, I haven't had a bowel movement since the last time I ate fruits/nuts really, and have been eating only meat and milk and eggs.  The only things that went through me are any types of plant foods.  But your condition of course could probably be totally different from mine.

Maybe try fasting for a day or two as well, to try and give your intestines a rest?  I fasted for a day and a half and it seemed to help, until I ate fruit again, I would have fasted for longer but I was getting too hungry and losing too much weight.

But if I were you, first I'd fast and not eat/drink anything other than water until I wasn't having diarrhea anymore or until I got too hungry, then the first thing I would eat after fasting(for at least a day) would be ideally some raw kefir/Qephor, or else some raw milk, raw cultured butter, or otherwise raw dairy, for it's probiotics.  but I wouldn't risk even probiotic pasteurized yogurts/kefir, I'd rather drink just plain raw milk.  Then would wait a few hours to see if the raw dairy caused any diarrhea or not, or pains/problems.  If no problems or diarrhea, then I would try eating some raw meat, maybe just a few ounces at first, like I started out with 4 ounces of raw ground beef(organic grass-fed of course), and see how that goes with your intestines.  If all goes well, then perhaps up the intake and even try raw egg yolks.  If any diarrhea arose however, and the dairy or meat was suspected, then I would stop eating it.  That's what I would suggest that you do, but if you really think you do better on fruit, then eat the fruit.  Whatever you think will help you get better.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 26, 2010, 03:59:06 am »
Grass fed liver is one of the tastiest organs, though it may take some getting used to. It is very rich.

I really want to try some, I just haven't been able to find any at all.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 27, 2010, 11:09:18 pm »
I couldn't help myself, I couldn't resist them, they were just too tempting and I couldn't pass up such a cheap price, I gave in and bought a pound of strawberries yesterday and ate them all.  They were delicious.  I thought they would make my diarrhea come back though, but they didn't!  I was so happy.  Though, I did eat them really slowly and chewed them up as good as I could.  and I didn't eat them all at once really, I'd eat a few then wait a while, then eat a few more.  I don't know if that made a difference or not, or if I'm just doing better now.  But at least now I know I can eat some fruit!  I'm so happy now!  I love my fruit.

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 27, 2010, 11:16:19 pm »
Ok guys, it's safe to say my salmonella or whatever I had is gone, and I actually feel better than I did before. Detox? ;D

- women's health member

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk