Author Topic: Fasting yahoo group  (Read 3526 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Fasting yahoo group
« on: September 28, 2010, 04:23:38 pm »
There's a very interesting fasting yahoo group focusing on Intermittent Fasting and caloric restriction.

Here's a sample thereof:-

"Exp Gerontol 1985;20(5):253-63
The effects of aging and chronic dietary restriction on whole body growth and protein turnover in the rat.
Lewis SE, Goldspink DF, Phillips JG, Merry BJ, Holehan AM.
Changes in whole body growth, nucleic acids, and protein turnover have been studied in conjunction with ageing and chronic dietary restriction. Normal developmental changes between weaning and senescence included progressive decreases in the fractional rates of growth, protein synthesis, and protein breakdown; the decline in the synthetic rate correlating with decreases in the ribosomal capacity. Dietary intervention was imposed at weaning and involved pair feeding to 50% of the ad libitum food intake. Although this regime slowed whole body growth by retarding the developmental decline in protein turnover, growth was extended into the second and third years of life. The dietary-induced increase in longevity resulting from a retardation of the ageing process(es) appears therefore to be associated with an enhanced turnover of proteins during the major portion of the life span of dietary restricted rats. These observations are strange as up to 50% of basal metabolic rate may be due to the energy requirements for protein synthesis. So an increased protein synthesisi in caloric restricted animals becomes difficult to reconcile with the sharply decreased energy availability in these seme animals, althouh on a lean body mass basis, these may be no decrease. (from Weindruch & Walford 1988)."
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Adam

• Forager
    • View Profile
Re: Fasting yahoo group
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 04:31:24 am »
Anyone here wanna translate this for the slower people here -[

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 04:23:18 pm »
It's talking about how fasting slows down the aging process. So does Intermittent Fasting, incidentally.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 06:21:55 am »
I haven't practiced intermittent fasting since the three days I spent in jail when first starting this diet.

I was underweight starting this diet so I wanted to gain to an optimum weight before starting to fast regularly, but its damn impossible to get too much extra weight on a low carb diet. I gained 20 pounds right away and then leveled off at 175, anyway I have done a couple 24 hour fast and feel real good afterward, and I do believe going without food can trigger some survival genetic reaction that primes the metabolism and clears away accumulated waste, and allows the body to perform maintenance.

I really believed somewhat in what AV claims about how gaining weight on raw animal fat and fasting it off is a good way to clean the body from fat soluble poisons.( although I cant tolerate his suggestions to gain cleansing weight so I am fairly contint to just let things be and keep doing one or two day fast every month or so)
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 10:14:27 am »
I read an article on IF and their hypothesis was that it allows your body to simply become more efficient because its had time to rest. Like training muscles if you continuosly lift weights day after day, you just keep damaging your muscles with no rest/healing time.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk