Author Topic: Constipation  (Read 35970 times)

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Constipation
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2010, 01:31:17 pm »
Feel free to eat all the fruit and fiber you want, but please don't speak for me, and if you still think that everyone does great on it, then you're just fooling yourself.
I'm not saying that fruits are good for everyone. Definitely not.
All I'm saying is that some amount of fiber  (even small amount) is good for us.
Maybe you would do better with the fiber from some wild veggies?
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2010, 01:55:16 pm »
All I'm saying is that some amount of fiber  (even small amount) is good for us.

I'm no longer sure this is true.  It may be true that we can handle small amounts without too much problem, but that is different than saying it is good for us or that it is needed.  More and more evidence points to just the opposite being true.

Lex 

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2010, 02:14:57 pm »
I'm no longer sure this is true.  ... different than saying it is good for us or that it is needed.  More and more evidence points to just the opposite being true.

On another forum, I reported my good health stemming from eating aajonus' 100% raw primal diet, including that I had the most horrible constipation while 100% vegan and 100% raw vegan.  A young man private messaged me there, and led me to the book "The Fiber Menace".  The young man said he himself too had horrible ulcerative colitis, and cured himself by eating raw diet with as little fiber as possible.  

This video is The Fiber Menace author, explaining a little of how fiber not only doesn't help relieve constipation, but is known to do the opposite.  He made many videos, including how colonoscopies have caused health problems.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6848409513450459079#
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2010, 08:52:48 pm »
This video is The Fiber Menace author, explaining a little of how fiber not only doesn't help relieve constipation, but is known to do the opposite.  He made many videos, including how colonoscopies have caused health problems.
Yeah, I know him.
But his theory is incompatible with the biochemistry and physiology.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2010, 10:16:38 pm »
Yeah, I know him.

Yeah, he's probably a cooked food eater anyway.  But it's true, there are people who cannot tolerate fiber, and my own bowels work on protein and fat, not fiber at all.  Green juice can get stuff out of me, but fiber cannot.  He's not a total idiot anyway.  I'm glad he sheds light on something important that too many don't see.  Medical doctors too gave me fiber, "good" MDs, very reputable, and no matter how much they gave, it didn't do a gosh darn thing to relieve my intestines, but nearly made them burst instead.

:) I thought you might be zero carb any way.  I guess you're not.  I'm not every day, some days I am.  I was very close to it for a long time, and felt best so far vlc.   
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2010, 01:38:59 am »
I thought you might be zero carb any way. 
No, definitely not. :)
That's really a bad option.
I love some amount of fruits as my main source of carbs; and honeycomb from time to time. Veggies - practically I don't eat them.

Offline MaximilianKohler

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2010, 03:32:57 am »
hmm this is interesting... I used to have constipation and other GI issues when I ate a regular cooked food diet, but now that I'm only eating raw meat, fat, and eggs I have no GI problems at all... maybe you need more raw fat?

Offline Hanna

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2010, 09:04:42 pm »
Quote from: RawZi on Yesterday at 01:14:57 AM
Yeah, I know him.

Why? Could you please explain that, Hannibal?
I didn´t know so far that there are people considering fiber as a menace and as a cause for constipation.  ???

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2010, 09:59:34 pm »
There are basic info in that link of Lyle McDonald - he is quite knowledgeable about this subject
I didn´t know so far that there are people considering fiber as a menace and as a cause for constipation.  ???
If you eat a lot of it, from grains, legumes and some other neolithic cooked foods than for sure you'll be in trouble

Offline MaximilianKohler

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2010, 03:38:10 am »
fiber supplements/high fiber diet didn't work to cure constipation for me

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2010, 04:35:47 am »
I didn´t know so far that there are people considering fiber as a menace and as a cause for constipation.  ???
Watch the Fiber Menace video. I don't agree with that guy on everything, but he's right on some things, like whole wheat contributing to constipation in some people like me (and diarrhea in others). He doesn't claim that fruit or vegetable fiber is bad, but like Lex says, it's not clear that it's particularly helpful either.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2010, 11:51:14 am »
I'm not saying that fruits are good for everyone. Definitely not.
Maybe you would do better with the fiber from some wild veggies?

I was so completely thoroughly constipated on raw organically grown juicy ripe fruit only and no other food, but purest water.  One of the things that helped relieve me of constipation a little but more of the tooth problems fruit only was causing was starting to eat organically grown dark green leafy vegetables then.  Steamed even better.  Best yet, blended raw salad with absolutely nothing sweet in it, no mango, no berry, no honey, no stevia etc.  Blended fresh organically grown corn didn't bother my health.  I think it was because of magnesium deficiency, at least partly.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2010, 12:21:43 pm »
Hmmm, that makes some sense, because carbs can bond with Mg and other minerals (http://bondingwithfood.wordpress.com/2010/02/08/food-fundamentals/) and thus perhaps deplete them from your system and potentially cause mineral deficiencies, particularly in people who are sensitive to carbs or already have some mineral deficiency. I notice that I get potassium and zinc deficiency symptoms when I eat too much carbs of any sort, including fresh, ripe, whole, raw, organic fruits.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 12:28:02 pm by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2010, 01:56:57 pm »
    Just like our bones aren't made of just calcium, our colons are not made of just fruit.  They need muscle tone and lots of stuff.  The fruit was terrible.  I was like 80 something pounds, but my eyes clear and bright!  People thought I looked ... 23 years younger than the age I was, said I looked like a little girl.  I like having some strength though, and not being dehydrated no matter how much water I drink.  I was advised that fats should be totally avoided, and that protein was nothing more than an unnecessary addictive substance.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2010, 09:40:58 pm »
Hmmm, that makes some sense, because carbs can bond with Mg and other minerals (http://bondingwithfood.wordpress.com/2010/02/08/food-fundamentals/) and thus perhaps deplete them from your system and potentially cause mineral deficiencies
That's an unproven nonsense.
Carbs such as fruits are an excellent source of magnesium and potassium.
Of course, I'm not talking about overeating of them. Overeating of anything would couse some problems.
I notice that I get potassium and zinc deficiency symptoms when I eat too much carbs of any sort, including fresh, ripe, whole, raw, organic fruits.
Any laboratory exams re these deficiencies?

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2010, 09:44:15 pm »
I was so completely thoroughly constipated on raw organically grown juicy ripe fruit only and no other food, but purest water.  
I don't imagine eating only fruits.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2010, 11:20:12 pm »
. Any laboratory exams re these deficiencies?

I have a lb showing I was deficient in chloride? (chlorine? not looking at it right now) and deficient in blood protein when I was fruitarian and constipated.  Albumen.  I had plenty of test from before then.  I was never low in those things other times.

I don't imagine eating only fruits.

I bought the fruit at the local organic co-op, all very delicious.  I felt weaker than ever though.  My jaw felt like it was shrinking too, not in a good way.  My bones started denting etc, but I guess that is no surprise.  I was small boned, then all fruit, so of course.  It was a dumb experiment.  I was trying to listen to a couple of gurus.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2010, 11:59:58 pm »
It was a dumb experiment.  I was trying to listen to a couple of gurus.

Not dumb at all.  Look what you learned, and where this new knowledge has taken you...

Lex

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2010, 12:30:58 am »
Not dumb at all.  Look what you learned, and where this new knowledge has taken you...

Thank you, Lex.  It wasn't all, bad, and experiencing all that served it's purpose for me too.  These gurus show all their credentials though, and keep pushing that they know the one and only way for man and woman.  It's kind of funny.  Yes, without that new knowledge, I may not have found raw meat.  I may have not seen the need for it, maybe.  It's interesting how so many of us here have eaten fruitarian menus, last stop before here much of the time.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2010, 09:11:40 am »
That's an unproven nonsense.
I wasn't trying to imply that it applies to everyone--just suggesting a potential explanation for RawZi's specific case. That doesn't mean it applies at all to you. Individuals are different and what applies to one doesn't necessarily apply to another.

Katelyn recently reported noticing much hate directed at ZCers/VLCers here. I've noticed it too, and it seems to be building. What gives? My philosophy is "to each their own" and "live and let live" and let's speak for ourselves. Why can't we do that?

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2010, 09:20:30 am »
I wasn't trying to imply that it applies to everyone--just suggesting a potential explanation for RawZi's specific case. That doesn't mean it applies at all to you. Individuals are different and what applies to one doesn't necessarily apply to another.

Katelyn recently reported noticing much hate directed at ZCers/VLCers here. I've noticed it too, and it seems to be building. What gives? My philosophy is "to each their own" and "live and let live" and let's speak for ourselves. Why can't we do that?

I find my self annoyed at some of the ZCers here sometimes. Not because they are ZC, but because the way they act. They act like ZC is so right and that everyone else are idiots that don't go ZC. An exaggeration perhaps, but it has that vibe to it.

When I write something on here I say what works and doesn't work for ME. I don't go making huge claims that what I'm doing is right and fits everyone. Because that's not the case. Different bodies, different heritage, different reactions to different foods. Thats what I say.
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2010, 11:11:24 am »
I find my self annoyed at some of the ZCers here sometimes. Not because they are ZC, but because the way they act. They act like ZC is so right and that everyone else are idiots that don't go ZC. An exaggeration perhaps, but it has that vibe to it.
In the past some ZCers did go overboard, like William (who was banned--and I was one of the people who requested he be banned) and Katelyn (who has been behaving better and is actually quite nice when you get to know her), but who are these mysterious unnamed ZCers who are still acting up? Other than Katelyn, do we have any ZCers left here who advocate it for others? Technically, even Katelyn's not a true ZCer because I think she started eating liver and eggs. Lex is near-ZC, but he hasn't advocated it for others and actually suggests that others consider eating some plant foods. So we don't seem to have anyone who is both 100% ZC and advocates it for all. Can anyone name a single member here who fits that bill?

I'm a facultative carnivore, not a ZCer myself, which means I eat a small amount of plant foods but don't see them as necessarily essential to my diet.

When I write something on here I say what works and doesn't work for ME. I don't go making huge claims that what I'm doing is right and fits everyone. Because that's not the case. Different bodies, different heritage, different reactions to different foods. Thats what I say.
We agree on that. Nothing that I write is intended to apply to anyone beyond myself or the person I'm responding to unless I say otherwise, and I generally try to make that clear, as I did above, and avoid overgeneralized statements like "A carnivore diet is helpful to all people." Instead I try to write in terms of myself, such as "I do well on a mostly-raw facultatively carnivorous diet."
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 11:19:53 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2010, 06:17:12 pm »
Well, it would be erroneous to suggest that people like Lex and others are not strongly pro-ZC, given past rather overly vehement arguments against carbs.

I can see why ZCers might be rather opposed against carbs given their own  very negative experiences with them, of course this is contrasted with others' experiences, myself included, who have done very badly  indeed on RZC. Naturally, both camps tend to get annoyed with threads focusing on either the benefits or disadvantages of raw fruits.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2010, 07:26:52 pm »
Well, it would be erroneous to suggest that people like Lex and others are not strongly pro-ZC, given past rather overly vehement arguments against carbs.
A) Lex is not truly 100% ZC (he eats carb-containing liver) and B) he has repeatedly recommended that other people should not emulate him, but instead include some plant foods in their diet and C) I didn't suggest that Lex isn't strongly pro-near-ZC, just that he isn't both 100% ZC and advocates it for all. My question was who fits that bill. Yet another straw man from you. One of the things I'm tired of is the lumping together of VLCers with ZCers and the painting of all of us with the same brush.

I can see why ZCers might be rather opposed against carbs given their own  very negative experiences with them, of course this is contrasted with others' experiences, myself included, who have done very badly  indeed on RZC. Naturally, both camps tend to get annoyed with threads focusing on either the benefits or disadvantages of raw fruits.
That's a much more reasonable statement, and one I can agree with. Just reporting good or bad results with fruits or ZC/VLC does not mean people are necessarily advocating their approach for all.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 07:34:46 pm by PaleoPhil »

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2010, 08:01:45 pm »
This strictly zero-carb approach is a complete nonsense, because even muscle-meats contain some small amount of carbs. The very fresh ones cantain relatively quite a lot of it due to muscle glycogen.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk