Poll

Do you bolt your meat most of the time (no more than 1-2 chews, then swallow)?

Yes
5 (25%)
No
15 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Who bolts their meat?  (Read 12166 times)

Offline letifer

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Who bolts their meat?
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2010, 03:25:27 am »
If I'm eating a steak-like cut I'll chew for a bit. Ground beef is usually a bite or two then swallow. Whenever I eat suet I chew it for a long time. After about 5-10 seconds my mouth starts gushing with saliva so I always figured it was a good idea to keep chewing and mixing the fat with saliva. I've also noticed that when I do not properly chew the fat it goes straight through me undigested and quite recognizable on the other end.
Good things come to those who take the initiative.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2010, 11:50:05 am »
Good instincts, letifer. We're up to 4 bolters! Pretty cool. This is an aspect of eating I wasn't even aware of.

I experienced the same basic thing. When I first ate suet it was a bit musty--possibly from the plastic it came in--so I didn't enjoy it and probably didn't chew it enough and some would pass through undigested. When I air dried it, I found I enjoyed the taste better and enjoyed chewing it like gum and it also seemed easier to digest and I don't get as much undigested suet in my stools any more.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline MaximilianKohler

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2010, 02:44:59 am »
I tried bolting with some small pieces of fairly high liver and it came out the other end pretty much undigested...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk