Author Topic: what is adrenal fatigue/burnout?  (Read 13036 times)

Offline a87.pal

• Trapper
    • View Profile
what is adrenal fatigue/burnout?
« on: October 25, 2010, 02:39:01 pm »
I was searching the forums, and there does not seem to be any full explanation of what adrenal fatigue is and how it leads to the proposed symptoms.

What I have gathered so far is that the adrenal glands no longer produce enough of their hormones (aldosterone, cortisol, DHEA, epinephrine, and norepinephrine).

What I don't understand is why this means someone should regulate their blood glucose levels more than a normal person. Or not fast. Or the list of other recommendations.

In general, it might be useful to at least compile the information into one place. If this already exists, let me know where to look.

Offline technosmith

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: what is adrenal fatigue/burnout?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 07:23:59 pm »

What I don't understand is why this means someone should regulate their blood glucose levels more than a normal person. Or not fast. Or the list of other recommendations.

Hi,

My understanding of it is that cortisol is a hormone produced when your body is stressed in some manner, and when your body is trying to maintain homeostasis.
Large fluctuations in blood sugar stress the body more than a steady release. More stress means more Cortisol production.

For someone who is adrenally fatigued, they would do best to reduce the amount of cortisol their adrenals is required to produce in order to minimise the load on the adrenals, and rest them somewhat.

Unfortunately, the digestive process also acts as a stressor, and requires cortisol production. Even thoughts generate some cortisol production. Unless they are all positive thoughts, in which case they may not!

Phil

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 08:32:13 pm »
It's not real, it doesn't exist, it's a new illness like fibromyalgia was 5 years ago, it's a fashion. It's psychologically induced, it's a crutch for emotional/stress issues. The feelings and lab test show it's real but it's caused by the body/mind.

In 5 to 10 years we'll be saying 'remember adrenal fatigue?' it will of gone the same way as carpal tunnel syndrome/CFS/tennis elbow/peptic ulcers.

I bet my savings on it.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 10:20:02 pm »
While some overstressed individuals(hypochondriacs) undoubtedly point to some mythical illness, or the illness du jour, as their current health-problem, there are plenty of people who really do suffer from gland-related illnesses(particularly older people but even younger ones like me). Indeed AV has claimed that the glands are particularly weakened by eating cooked foods long-term.

This reminds me;- my own brother who, in his fanatical unwillingness to accept that my raw diet has helped me in any way, has recently chosen to pretend that a number of very serious health-problems I had in the past were simply a product of my imagination. Never mind the fact that in pre-RPD days I had chronic fatigue, requiring long stays in bed in the afternoons or that I had severely painful stomach-aches(usually after eating cooked animal foods)etc. etc., he, in the manner of the flat-earth believers, simply cannot accept raw animal foods as a healing food in terms of his own poor weltanschauung.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 01:01:45 am »
It's not real, it doesn't exist, it's a new illness like fibromyalgia was 5 years ago, it's a fashion. It's psychologically induced, it's a crutch for emotional/stress issues. The feelings and lab test show it's real but it's caused by the body/mind.
My mother has fibromyalgia on top of her MS and migraines. It is most definitely a real thing and from what I gather fairly debilitating at times. She's an incredibly grounded and positive person as well so I have doubts that it can all be attributed to psychological reasons.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 01:48:53 am »
Yeah, and doctors are now grudgingly accepting that CFS exists too, despite prior decades of pretending that it was all in the mind.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline a87.pal

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 03:15:50 am »
Any recommended ways to manage adrenal fatigue. Moreover, ways to add some body fat if underweight?

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 04:41:00 am »
The pain,fatigue,inflamation are very real don't get me wrong. Grounded, nice, positive people seem to be the most often afflicted.

Albert Camus

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 06:50:08 am »
 Minor symptoms can occur due to hypochondria, but real intense, long term pain  or some other more serious symptom is nearly always real and not due to some psychosomatic effect. I remember reading a recent  awful story of this young woman in the UK who was felled by CFS and after the age of 18 was completely bedridden until she eventually committed suicide despite horrible doctors wanting to prolong her life endlessly. The doctors at the time tried to pretend that it was all psychosomatic despite the  incredible pain she was in, with her reaching menoapuse in her early 20s etc. etc.

More to the point, I know a number of much older acquaintances who now constantly grumble about definite gland-related health problems, being unable to stand the heat of summer suddenly. they cannot all be hypochondriacs, though  a few sure might well be.
" Ron Paul.

Offline ster546464@yahoo.co.uk

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 07:05:56 pm »
I was searching the forums, and there does not seem to be any full explanation of what adrenal fatigue is and how it leads to the proposed symptoms.

What I have gathered so far is that the adrenal glands no longer produce enough of their hormones (aldosterone, cortisol, DHEA, epinephrine, and norepinephrine).

In general, it might be useful to at least compile the information into one place. If this already exists, let me know where to look.

It's caused by living on coffee, burgers, pizza , candy bars,  and spending all day on a computer and not getting enough sleep.

It puts your body in a constant state of stress.

Paleolithically, your body would release cortisol when it sees a lion running at it, to give you a boost of energy to escape. However, people have abused this bodily function by being stressed all day, whether they not it or not, sitting on a computer stresses the body out even if you dont physcially realise it.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 07:44:40 pm »
Minor symptoms can occur due to hypochondria, but real intense, long term pain  or some other more serious symptom is nearly always real and not due to some psychosomatic effect. I remember reading a recent  awful story of this young woman in the UK who was felled by CFS and after the age of 18 was completely bedridden until she eventually committed suicide despite horrible doctors wanting to prolong her life endlessly. The doctors at the time tried to pretend that it was all psychosomatic despite the  incredible pain she was in, with her reaching menoapuse in her early 20s etc. etc.

More to the point, I know a number of much older acquaintances who now constantly grumble about definite gland-related health problems, being unable to stand the heat of summer suddenly. they cannot all be hypochondriacs, though  a few sure might well be.

The pain is real. The fatigue is real. I'm on the wrong forum for spreading my crazy non diet health ideas!

It's caused by living on coffee, burgers, pizza , candy bars,  and spending all day on a computer and not getting enough sleep.

It puts your body in a constant state of stress.

Paleolithically, your body would release cortisol when it sees a lion running at it, to give you a boost of energy to escape. However, people have abused this bodily function by being stressed all day, whether they not it or not, sitting on a computer stresses the body out even if you dont physcially realise it.

Yuri eats none of these foods and has adrenal fatigue. Explain that?

Albert Camus

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 10:51:46 pm »
it could be not enough quality sleep, maybe he developed it before he became raw paleo

diet alone won't cure it

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 11:26:55 pm »
it could be not enough quality sleep, maybe he developed it before he became raw paleo
diet alone won't cure it

Well, I acquired most of my current symptoms while eating pure raw paleo. I was very strong in the beginning but collapsed eventually. Exercises and intermittent fasting completely ruined my life.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 11:32:31 pm by rawlion »
It’s time to Eat Like An Animal!

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 11:56:52 pm »
any stress to the body, will use the adrenals to deal with it

so a radical change in diet can trigger bodily stress
emotional stress
a lack of calories in the diet can trigger internal stress, not eating enough
fasting can be stressful to the body, fasting should only be done when your body is in shape for it and you think you can do it.

but it can be anything, anything that stresses you personally, it will be different for everyone individually, but simply put, avoiding a stressful life is the most important

on a side note, eating foods that are too hot or too cold will cause internal stress,

Offline Charlie4444

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
    • http://www.healthylevelup.com
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 06:55:14 am »

In 5 to 10 years we'll be saying 'remember adrenal fatigue?' it will of gone the same way as carpal tunnel syndrome/CFS/tennis elbow/peptic ulcers.

I bet my savings on it.

GREAT!  ....but what do you do to get rid of it?  How do you fix the body?  It's great that you proclaimed your genius, but why don't you actually prove it!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 02:19:59 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 07:27:15 am »
i think it is real..........last time i was tested i have less estrogen than an 80 year old woman and went through "menopause" at 26, among many other adrenal related issues............my adrenals are thoroughly deteriorated and although it may have started as psychosomatic, I have had mental health issues my whole life(seriously, from birth) that have led me down a life path to where this has manifested physically to the extreme......
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 02:30:40 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 04:49:15 am »
If my own diagnosis is correct, I got massive adrenal and thyroid problems during my zero carb raw beef only experiments which I urged to utter excess..

Löwenherz

Offline Inger

• Chief
  • 38 yo Norwegian RVAF s.-06, 90% carniv.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2012, 05:32:03 pm »
GREAT!  ....but what do you do to get rid of it?  How do you fix the body?  It's great that you proclaimed your genius, but why don't you actually prove it!

Dear Charlie.
Adrenal burnout is real.
I also think I know the answer how to heal.
But you gotta read it self cause only so you will truly find healing.
You got to really really want it, so much that you are willing to read through this blog (that is not the easiest reading but SO worth it!!!);

http://jackkruse.com/jacks-blog/

Raw alone will not heal you IMHO. But this will. You can do it raw if you like of course, or not. Raw is not the most important thing.

Follow the holy trinity. It will bring back all you wish for. :-*
I know it cause it is about to follow the laws of mother nature. Only this can really heal you.
This is NOT to eat Fruit in mid of the winter, to eat outside of the seasons.. to use artificial lights 24/7.. keeping cozy warm 24/7...

If you have Northern ancestors, and live in Hawaii, and also messing up it all for so long - you might need to do certain things to regain your health because of your genetics.
It is all in the blog. :) And it will cost you not a cent. Instead you will be saving money. ;)

From the blog - Jacks thoughts before going to speak at a Paleo-conference;

No person playing the role of victim ever changed the world. We can not play that role either.

Our consistency is the parent of mastery no matter how mundane the task we give it.
Our focus is even more important than our talent.
Our energy is even more valuable than intelligence.
Our dream's should be extraordinarily big, but we need to show them we work ridiculously hard for the results we want……….
Nothing comes easy in life. That is evolution plan for success. It should be ours as well.
Trial by fire……….success by failures.

Jack is a Neurosurgeon with his own praxis. He is a real brain-hormone-expert believe me.

Inger

Offline Inger

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2012, 05:39:50 pm »
If my own diagnosis is correct, I got massive adrenal and thyroid problems during my zero carb raw beef only experiments which I urged to utter excess..

Löwenherz

Löwenherz,
this was not the fault of keto or the meat alone.
You did very stupid following a totally unnatural path. That's what messed you up big time.
Heated apartments, lights on.. and Keto? That will not go good long time believe me. Very unnatural.
That is why you feel better on coconuts and fruits. They fit better in the environment you have created yourself.
Unnatural it is still and so you will never reach optimal living hat way, mediocre only. Thus your depression in winter.. moodswings etc.

We have to see the whole picture folks, otherwise we will never find the truth!!!!

Inger

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2012, 05:50:12 pm »
Löwenherz,
this was not the fault of keto or the meat alone.
You did very stupid following a totally unnatural path. That's what messed you up big time.
Heated apartments, lights on.. and Keto? That will not go good long time believe me. Very unnatural.
That is why you feel better on coconuts and fruits. They fit better in the environment you have created yourself.
Unnatural it is still and so you will never reach optimal living hat way, mediocre only. Thus your depression in winter.. moodswings etc.

We have to see the whole picture folks, otherwise we will never find the truth!!!!

Inger

Inger, I don't feel better on fruits and I usually don't feel depressed. My fruit consumption is relatively low.

I mentioned that "many people" feel depressed during the winter time. And a high carb consumption is one possible reason, especially complex carbs from grains etc.

Adaptation to the cold is pure nonsense.

You can increase your resistance but you can never adapt.

Löwenherz

Offline Inger

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2012, 05:58:24 pm »
You can increase your resistance but you can never adapt.

Löwenherz

Yes. Very correct. Increasing the resistance to levels you thought was never possible. :)
And herein lies a big secret Löwenherz.

Inger

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 06:21:10 pm »
Yes. Very correct. Increasing the resistance to levels you thought was never possible. :)
And herein lies a big secret Löwenherz.

Inger

I don't see any secret, really.

I was following very low carb and zero carb diets for 2-3 years. Yes, my cold resistance increased dramatically but summer and sunshine still felt wonderful. Adaptation would mean that you can sleep naked in the snow. Even inuits can't do this. You will die after some days. BTW: Our skin stops breathing at round about 6 degress Celsius. According to Stefansson inuits loved tropical temperaturs in their igloos and sitting around naked. Why oh why? LOL.

And I guess that even nice and robust nordic Blonds don't hate a hot bath every once in a while.  ;)

My friends in Sweden LOVE the tropical temperatures in their saunas. Nearly every family owns a sauna. Why oh why?

Generally I agree with you that a high carb diet can be disastrous in northern climates, especially if it is based on fruits. Starch eaters do better. But low carb is the way to go. Furthermore I agree with you that a zero carb diet based on muscle meats could be very stupid. I guess that my adrenal and thyroid problems could have been avoided with special organ meats, others than liver and tongue that I have eaten..

Löwenherz

Offline Inger

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2012, 08:11:01 pm »
I don't see any secret, really.

Oh.. I do. :) I must have some strange glasses on... ;)

Inger

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2012, 09:57:32 pm »
Oh.. I do. :) I must have some strange glasses on... ;)

Inger

those glasses are the solution to adrenal burnout i swear
its all psychosomatic, you have to find a balance between living a very healthful physical lifestyle for yourself, what fits your particular body and not adhere too much to a doctrine of diet or regime if it begins to drive you into ill health as well as feel and believe that you lifestyle socially, how you fit into a community, your family, what you are doing and making with and for a living are all suitable and mentally/spiritually sustainable choices for yourself as an individual.....it has a lot to do with recognizing that diet alone will not solve anything, mental health is extremely important as well as believing truly that you are living and righteous lifestyle

Offline Inger

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2012, 10:23:13 pm »
Yes Jessica.
So true. :)
So how we find this mental strength?
Look trough the glasses and see... ;) Hormone balance. Endocrine system. Brain...etc. All tied together.
When your system is working smooth, in balance and is ROCK HARD. Then, you feel rock hard too, whatever happend around you.
You have so much mental strength it does not really bother you if the whole word is going in a different direction.
Cause you can sense it with your whole being, you feel so good!!! You feel inner peace. Happiness. Energy. Lot of it.
You have the power and focus-  to use your brain figure the truth out. Nothing comes easy in life.
This is health. This is when your whole system is working right. When you live within the rules of mother nature.
If you don't do this
- but you let laziness and comfort and dogma rule your life-
you will never be able to reach optimum. Period.
 :)

Visions we see with our eyes closed are not just a picture of what might be for us…….. it is an appeal, a thought, from our unconscious that rises within us so that we become consciously aware that we might improve our former selves. It is a primitive picture of the greatness within us, a call for us to become something that we were born to be.
(Kruse)

Inger
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 10:31:35 pm by Inger »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk